Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What the retract g-code command?

Posted by tmorris9 
What the retract g-code command?
December 05, 2012 06:13PM
I want to add a small retract to the end of my prints since my machine ends up spitting out a bit of material after the end of prints. I figure a 1-3mm retract at the end would prevent this.

Thanks!
Re: What the retract g-code command?
December 05, 2012 06:21PM
Add a G92 E0 to reset the extruder axis to zero, then a G1 E-2. So just add the following two lines to the end.gcode of your slicer:

G92 E0
G1 E-2

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
December 05, 2012 10:02PM
So is it the G1 E-2 that retracts? and if so is the -2 =2mm?

My extruder already goes to x home, so not sure what the G92 E0 would do. Sorry new to G code so don't all the commands.
December 05, 2012 10:57PM
This is the correct function, but you have to reset it since most of the time it is in relative mode. Then you would extruder only as the last line of the printout, not set from a program like slicer (you don't want it everywhere).

Retracting at the end of printing makes sense to slow down ooze, but it won't solve it. The perfect solution (unless you have a print = the max limit of the print bed) G01X100, G01Y100, and G01Z0. This moves the nozzle out of the way in the XY, then puts the nozzle on the bed flat, so there is too much resistance to oozing.
December 06, 2012 06:23AM
Homing z down automatically at the end of a print will end up a catastrophe with the x-gantry design like on a Mendel-type frame. Unless you print at the far end of the bed or have done some custom changes to the design, it is definitively not recommended.

If you have some space to spare on either side of the bed, printing a bucket-attachment that clips under the x-ends is a better solution. But the nozzle will ooze if you leave the it heated and idle.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
December 06, 2012 08:20PM
Mine moves out of the way (x home) and the ooze is not ruining any prints. I just wanted to at least slow it down as I end up with a little spring shaped pile under the nozzle and just thought if I did a small retract it would be much less.

Just trying to fine tune things not solve a real issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login