Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Open Source Surfboard

Posted by RichardW 
Open Source Surfboard
September 29, 2008 06:14AM
Hi,

some time ago, I was reading something about a community which created surfboards open source. Producers could use the design but had no momopoly on it. I think I read it somwhere on this website/forum but I can't find it again. Has somebody a link for me?
Re: Open Source Surfboard
September 29, 2008 07:47AM
I remember seeing a mention of an individual who was designing a surfboard. The article was mentioned in at least a couple of tech news feeds and, I think, showed up here somewhere. I don't think the design is open source.

Gizmodo had the article under the title "What Happens When a Computer Programmer Decides to Build a Cheap Surfboard?" and that one points to the original article in Popular Science:

[www.popsci.com]

The core of the board is made from 400 pieces of saw-cut cardboard. Perhaps a RepRap could print the pieces.
September 29, 2008 08:01PM
[www.sheldrake.net]

It's not specifically open source, but he does describe his methods pretty clearly. Maybe he'd be into sharing the designs?

I'd love to try one of those out - I've built a few plywood kiteboards, but these days I usually ride surfboards with my kite. My Darwin lair is also a repository for surfboards - there's three in here, plus two more in storage. Making more would be a hoot!

I think he was using a laser cutter to cut the cardboard - soon as we get a decent laser on a reprap, off we go! Or I guess one could just build the interlocking pieces out of plastic; might be a bit heavy, but who knows? With Skeinforge's nice infill patterns, you could make a sort of plastic honeycomb substructure inside your honeycomb structure...

It'd be interesting to see how the strength to weight ratio of ABS compares to cardboard.

Wade

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2008 08:04PM by Wade.
September 29, 2008 08:12PM
My suspicion is that his sawn pieces of cardboard are several times longer than the xy table of Darwin.
VDX
September 30, 2008 03:13AM
... then make overlapping puzzle-fittings.

Think in 'lego'-metrics - build any size you want from smaller interlocking pieces and slices ...

Viktor
September 30, 2008 12:30PM
that's what I was thinking, but it will create problems with maintaining a good rocker profile. The long cardboard stringers would work a lot better in that respect.

Still, it'd be cool.
October 02, 2008 03:28PM
Wade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.sheldrake.net]
>
> I think he was using a laser cutter to cut the
> cardboard

His site says he uses a CNC Router
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login