Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Part Sourcing.

Posted by sadistic_angel 
Part Sourcing.
December 16, 2012 08:52PM
I've been having issues sourcing parts. I would like to build Wallace because i heard it's cheaper and I'm only in high school. on the thingiverse page there was a comment saying around $250 to build it. i have the printed parts from my school (the engineering department was gracious enough to let me use there printer for those) but getting the electronics and hardware parts is proving to be more difficult. I've sourced some parts but the prices seem very high for it to come out to only $250. could anyone give me a hand in this? probably someone with a bit more experience with repraps?

Things I have.
-Printed Parts
-Arduino mega 2560

Thanks in advance
~Corey~
Re: Part Sourcing.
December 16, 2012 10:11PM
Might help to know where you are so others might know local sources.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
December 16, 2012 10:36PM
I live in Attleboro Massachusetts. there is a small local hardware store which I will be checking for nuts and bolts ect. and there is a home depot, those are the only stores I can think of that might hold something I could use.

it seems the bearings are the worst part right now. i sourced most of the electronics to a reasonable price but $10 for a single bearing is crazy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2012 10:40PM by sadistic_angel.
December 16, 2012 11:51PM
Check ebay for the LM8UU's.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
December 17, 2012 12:21AM
Aliexpress.com can be good if on a budget too. Look for ones that do free shipping

December 17, 2012 12:38PM
use McMaster-Carr.com for the smooth rods, search for Drill Rods. 3' of 8mm = $5.59 (shipping is not shown but for me it was like $10)

use Ultimachine for the bearings (http://ultimachine.com/content/linear-bearing-lm8uu) $1.75 each

$15 stepper motors can be found at qu-bd.com

I suggest getting the threaded rods at home depot or local where-ever (5/16" may work depending on what you printed)

$15 computer power supplies can be found on amazon.com

sdp-si.com has pulleys and belts, but shocking is always a issue. Ultimachine.com also sells 2 belts and 2 pulleys for $36. You may be able to find thoses cheaper.

Make should you search all through reprap.org. I think there are a lot of random pages with good suggestions. I found some of them only after order a bunch of stuff.
December 17, 2012 10:18PM
Thanks for all the help! most of the parts I found pretty cheap thanks to everyone here.
here's my list for if anyone needs/wants it.

$14.49 stepper motors : here

$1.00 thermistor : here

$34.00 extruder : here

$89.99 RAMPS 1.4 (no arduino) : here

$4.51 / 10 623ZZ bearings : here

$11.40 / 12 LM6UU linear bearing : here

$15.00 / 3 mech end stops : here

all of the rods and vitamins were sourced locally.
The order still has not been placed so if anyone has anything to add please do! I'm not too sure about those end stops if anyone has an onpinion on them.

Thanks Everyone!

~Corey~
December 18, 2012 10:27AM
Get these switches: [www.digikey.com]〈=en&site=us&KeyWords=SW765-ND

Shipping from Digikey for those should be about $2.00, bringing the total cost of the endstops to about $5.00. There's no reason to get the board-mounted switches, it doesn't gain you anything except bulk.

Edit: I also would not recommend that extruder. It will only work with 1.75mm filament.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 10:31AM by NewPerfection.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
December 18, 2012 04:46PM
I'm sure it can be modified to work with 3mm (another project maybe?) otherwise I'm looking at initial cost alone so this was the best bet and I'm ok with the restriction to 1.75mm filament. Thanks for the information about the end stops though!
December 18, 2012 05:25PM
It cannot be modified to work with 3mm filament.

And the $34 price doesn't include the stepper necessary to drive it. $49 with stepper.

To make matters worse there is no known working X-carriage that will accept that extruder. I designed one but it hasn't been tested yet.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
December 18, 2012 06:29PM
So what extruder would you recommend? I am on a low budget so something cost effective would help. also what would be a good timing belt? I would be using the MXL pullies printed from the wallace thingiverse page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2012 06:50PM by sadistic_angel.
December 19, 2012 11:47AM
For the ramps, what I did was buy just the PCB board with the SMT components on it. It was only $28

http://ultimachine.com/ramps

Then I soldered the headers on myself. The components that are not surface mounted are cheap ($10 - $20 at the most) All you need are a couple of mosfet, fuses, and diodes. It took maybe an hour to solder together. If you can soilder and are ordering stuff from mouser, or digikey already, then it is a much cheaper way to go.

I don't see stepper motors drivers on your list, and they are like $12 each X 4.

I have the extruder. It is tricky to make it work. I made a x-carrage. You can find it here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35330

I suggest reading the forums over at qu-bd.com and the makerbot google group about extruder issues. I like mine, but it the a frustrating introduction to 3d printing.

December 20, 2012 11:08AM
that RAMPS board comes with 5 stepper drivers and SD-RAMPS so it was the best price with it all together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login