Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solidoodle vs Mendel90?

Posted by seekerky 
Solidoodle vs Mendel90?
December 20, 2012 03:02PM
Both based on RepRap projects, is there any comparison of the 2?
Re: Solidoodle vs Mendel90?
December 20, 2012 04:15PM
No, they are about as dissimilar as you can possibly get.

What on earth gave you the idea they are comparable?

One is a commercial prebuilt printer, designed around a bent sheet metal frame, and prints (from everything I have seen) poorly.

The other is designed around some pieces of MDF, is completely DIY, and is probably the most complete openscad-based design out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2012 04:18PM by crispy1.
December 20, 2012 05:21PM
i would use this analogy. mendel90 is the Porsche of 3d printing. as far as i can tell it is rather well designed, and the person that designed it 'nophead' had been around and seen what really works well.

If you choose the mendel90 then purchase it from nophead directly if you can.

he also has sold a lot of 3d printers to customers, and received very specific feedback that has helped him improve tremendously on the design. the mendel90 has been in development for about a year. I know nothing about the other printer.
December 20, 2012 05:53PM
Alright nophead, there's my testimony smiling smiley

I had just ordered the kit from them after reading everything about it, including the improvements he (Chris) has done based on the reviews you mentioned. I just got a little sceptical since a friend shared a comparison on Slashdot, but I guess they were not comparing apples to apples...

My bad for even using those 2 words together in the subject line smiling smiley

I'm about 10% acquainted with 3D printers -- enough to be dangerous...so watch out for lame posts like this from me

Thanks for catching this one

Peace
December 21, 2012 03:38AM
Plus one for the Mendel90 from Nop Head - you won't be disappointed. The fan attachment on his latest ones really works wonders for overhangs (I did the Yoda Lite print, and the ears turned out well)
December 21, 2012 10:17AM
Thanks, guys.

The most important difference is Mendel90 is open source but Solidoodle isn't. It just uses opensource software.

Also Mendel90 is a Reprap in the sense that if you have one you can make another. This is evident from the fact that I have sold plastic parts only to people and they have sourced the rest themselves. Other people have built them from scratch by printing their own parts. There won't be many people building a Solidoodle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2012 11:39AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 21, 2012 05:45PM
I built a Mendel90 based on only solid parts from Nophead and it works smiling smiley
December 21, 2012 06:13PM
Hey Nophead, I hope you got a good production line going! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I have to nominate the Mendel90 as well.
And I haven't even built mine yet!!

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
December 21, 2012 06:41PM
Not good enough to meet demand yet but efficiency is improving as I make more jigs, automate more and find sources of ready machined parts, like pulleys.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login