Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MakiBox $200 Complete 3D Printer eye popping smiley

Posted by Idolcrasher 
Re: MakiBox $200 Complete 3D Printer eye popping smiley
February 11, 2013 10:33PM
Are you guys aware that 3d printing of metals using laser sintering currently has something on the order of 60% of the market for metal joint implants? The rough surface and the fact that there is no contamination from machining lubricants is a huge advantage in that market. They make you a custom implant from MRI and Cat scan data.

I had pro state cancer. They removed my pro state using the Davinci robot. Lets see you reprap one of those!
February 28, 2013 02:11PM
Yes there is a lot of work on this, and as inkjet or DLP material not yet released.

However, the end of the 2012, Photopolymer is expensive, somewhat toxic, smelly, and dangerous uncured. Even though varieties are being made clean, environmentally friendly, strong etc, some people just won't want it, like me. Also they are often too brittle and can't stand repeated use. It needs a post-clean and excess crosslinking process, which tells you there is residue everywhere (and you can feel it). I want true virgin plastic, not crosslinked photopolymer that may have residues of monopolyer and catalyst that can get on my hands, then my mouth. I could say the same for thermoplastics (see polycarbonates), but they are better known and longer tested.

I don't want to admit it, but I am sure photopolymers / inkjet / dlp will eventually win the home consumer market, and possibly the industrial one too. This is because 1) they can scale up much much faster print speeds and accuracies and layer adhesions are every capable of with filament and 2) they will become cheaper and safer over time. 3) they will smell so little, to the point that they behave like normal inkjets and no one notices, unlike thermoplastics. 4) they simply need less power, whereas thermoplastics have a serious limit for max size printing/cooling time. Photopolymers do generate heat and shrink too though.

In the mean time (10-20 years) I want to help make a strong fight for conventional plastics, waxes, thermoplastic rubbers, and more. This is especially true for larger scale applications where printing with inkjet would take weeks, or it is impossible to get some characteristics, like fiber-reinforced plastic. Right now, 3D printer with filament is actually low tech compared to what it will take to make a cheap in-home objet printer. I think it will be an ongoing competition, and perhaps even a 3rd process with begin to make more sense, like sintering, or others (ultrasonic welding and whatnot). The help the fight, I am releasing my take on a pellet extruder soon.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 02:14PM by Simba.
February 28, 2013 10:32PM
Do you think it would be worthwhile to have a forum for pellet extruders here? I think they are going to become more widespread over the next year, and would benefit from some collaboration and shared experiences.
February 28, 2013 10:40PM
IanJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you think it would be worthwhile to have a
> forum for pellet extruders here? I think they are
> going to become more widespread over the next
> year, and would benefit from some collaboration
> and shared experiences.

Good suggestion.
And yes, I do not expect to be the only one either, as it is an emergent idea, and frankly I'm surprised it took until 2013 for it to heat up. I'm guessing demand will come from lower costs and an ability to recycle on site.

As far as I know Makibox designers is trying and one of the main engineers at Up! is trying as well as another individual here is trying. 3 other attempts in the literature/reprap logs exist but no one ever followed up. My approach is coming from left field so I hope to release one very well working version so that people can build on a great first working version, rather than generating heresay and over promising, that's why I prefer to keep a forum about it on low key until we actually release a first working version people could buy or recreate and play with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 10:54PM by Simba.
February 28, 2013 10:43PM
FYI, since I'm gearing up for production I'm looking at the BOM for makibox again. I've been able to conclude that at scale, the electronics could be under $20 and the acrylic can be under $10. Therefore, the total machine can theoretically be under $100 to build, including the thin film based extruder. However, labor labor labor, I still think this is going to be a disaster for order delivery competition. I hope not, cause I'd love nothing more than to buy a bunch in stock and give it to some friends, but that's not going to happen with american labor and only a few bucks of margin. More power to you if you can do it friend - best of luck Makibox.
March 01, 2013 12:08AM
I'm working with the Filastruder which is able to make quality filament with a simple, inexpensive BOM so long as you let it spool on the ground. The extrusion pressure isn't consistent, but gets expressed as changes in extrusion speed while the diameter stays consistent. As long as the filament doesn't run into any obstructions it's fine. I'm working on a puller/spooler to go with it, which adds some challenges. If you are drawing down the plastic, the extrusion needs to be consistent. If you aren't going to draw down, you have to find a way to guide the filament to the spooler without applying any force at the die.

So making something that will extrude filament that can be printed it easy but a complete system that will extrude and spool is a little harder.
March 05, 2013 01:32PM
Thought I'd bump this to see if we can get any reviews..cool smiley
March 06, 2013 09:27AM
I like to follow the various new projects just to see what they're coming up with, so I visited the Makibox forums. The following is about the units being shipped to first external users.

Makibox Lead Developer on 2.3.2013
It looks like the first one will go out tomorrow. We've been trying to get a consistent output from the production hot end and extrusion drive, the main culprit being moving to a thicker barrel material, as I had concerns with the m3 barrel being too thin after it was drilled out. We now have an m4 sized barrel, which is very solid, but conducts more heat.
This resulted in more friction from the longer melt zone, so we've been testing different options to get things back in balance. ...

It's great that they are taking care of potential issues before shipping the product, but the original estimates (in the Kickstarter project) for first units shipping were in March - of 2012... Anyway, we should be getting first real-world reviews pretty soon.
March 06, 2013 01:33PM
ttsalo Wrote:
> I like to follow the various new projects just to
> see what they're coming up with, so I visited the
> Makibox forums. The following is about the units
> being shipped to first external users.
>
>
> It looks like the first one will go out tomorrow.
> We've been trying to get a consistent output from
> the production hot end and extrusion drive, the
> main culprit being moving to a thicker barrel
> material, as I had concerns with the m3 barrel
> being too thin after it was drilled out. We now
> have an m4 sized barrel, which is very solid, but
> conducts more heat.
> This resulted in more friction from the longer
> melt zone, so we've been testing different options
> to get things back in balance. ...
>
>
> It's great that they are taking care of potential
> issues before shipping the product, but the
> original estimates (in the Kickstarter project)
> for first units shipping were in March - of
> 2012... Anyway, we should be getting first
> real-world reviews pretty soon.

Having been a working product design engineer for over 12 years now, I think people sorely underestimate the process of design for manufacture, outsourcing, and product quality assurance. Yes it is easy that if you can build one to build another - but can you execute fast, build consistently, and not have defects in your product lots... those are all things to consider, as the learning curve is steep. As a rule we like to say a project will take 4 times longer and cost 4 times as much as you plan.
March 06, 2013 01:36PM
Simba Wrote:
As a rule we like to say a project will take 4 times longer and cost 4 times as much as you plan.
Scotty from Star-Trek would be proud. smiling smiley

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
March 06, 2013 02:26PM
Simba Wrote:
> Having been a working product design engineer for
> over 12 years now, I think people sorely
> underestimate the process of design for
> manufacture, outsourcing, and product quality
> assurance. Yes it is easy that if you can build
> one to build another - but can you execute fast,
> build consistently, and not have defects in your
> product lots... those are all things to consider,
> as the learning curve is steep. As a rule we
> like to say a project will take 4 times longer and
> cost 4 times as much as you plan.

I agree, which is why I'm always skeptical of anyone doing a manufacturing kickstarter who doesn't have manufacturing experience.

A friend of mine just received his Beta kit for the sequel to a very popular and well respected printer, the QC on the kit was at best none existent, they are only making 40 in the Beta run but even so the QC was horrible, it appears they farmed out packaging and the printed plastic parts, the plastic parts were horrible (borderline unusable) and since no one is doing QC before packaging they shipped to customers.
The anodizing on the metal parts was also atrocious, again no QC.

Even just putting parts of consistent quality in a box is a lot of work to do right.
March 08, 2013 09:31AM
Polygonhell Wrote:
> Simba Wrote:
> > Having been a working product design engineer
> for
> > over 12 years now, I think people sorely
> > underestimate the process of design for
> > manufacture, outsourcing, and product quality
> > assurance. Yes it is easy that if you can
> build
> > one to build another - but can you execute
> fast,
> > build consistently, and not have defects in
> your
> > product lots... those are all things to
> consider,
> > as the learning curve is steep. As a rule we
> > like to say a project will take 4 times longer
> and
> > cost 4 times as much as you plan.
>
> I agree, which is why I'm always skeptical of
> anyone doing a manufacturing kickstarter who
> doesn't have manufacturing experience.
>

I wonder about a lot of those kickstarters related to 3D printing. No one reviews what they got.
March 08, 2013 11:02AM
Sick of seeing unfinished, untested, unbuilt printers being sold. I know it was a Kickstarter, but 1 year behind on delivery due to development is ridiculous.
March 08, 2013 12:17PM
Dirty Steve Wrote:
> Sick of seeing unfinished, untested, unbuilt
> printers being sold. I know it was a Kickstarter,
> but 1 year behind on delivery due to development
> is ridiculous.

The principle of Kickstarter is that people seek funds to develop from prototype stage to the point of manufacture, "it is not a shop". Therefore, some development time must be involved. Exactly how much development time do you think is the "right" amount, for a particular product and organisation?

If you can answer that, you stand to make a fortune, because in my experience no one ever knows. Development timescales are notoriously difficult to predict. There is no formula to calculate it. The only guide is past experience, but by definition if you are creating something new, then past experience can not be an exact match.

One year from prototype to production is not unreasonable, based on my experience in industry. I concede that people may not expect to wait a year, but that says more about people's expectations than the reality. Perhaps Kickstarter should put in big bold letters across their website "This is not a shop, you are investing in development projects".
March 08, 2013 12:35PM
It's the marketing and selling of an incomplete item that kills me. You should have the prototype actually working before Kickstart. Printerbot- functional at Kickstart, 3dDoodler- functional at Kickstart.

No issue with refinement during Kickstart. But damn, have something that works.
March 08, 2013 01:52PM
I have to agree with both of you Bobc and Dirty Steve. This is why I never understood that entire Kickstarter web site because I know you never come to market until the prototype is done but I also know that the old way of gathering investment money was to show what your idea was and see if a fish would bite. Once you grabbed a fish that bit then you made a prototype and you would go before even more potential investors and actual buyers. This is what I believe Kickstarter is, or at least should be, at stage two not the first stage of just an idea. It seems a bunch of Kickstarter projects is just at the idea stage and for me I never enter anything at stage one. Either stage two, as I described above, or at stage three which is the finished product right before packaging.

edit: So, I figure Kickstarter is more of a promise that you gamble will come true and if you placed a bet on black and red rolls up you lose but if black rolls up you win and save money over what the final product would sell for.

Too much involved for so little gain imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 01:54PM by Dark Alchemist.

_______
I await Skynet and my last vision will be of a RepRap self replicating the robots that is destroying the human race.
April 14, 2013 02:47PM
It is similar to a Kickstarter project, as it is crowd-funded, but it was their own beast based in Hong Kong. I thought it could be a scam, but saw a guy I know tweet that he ordered one. After doing a little research, I took a great leap of faith. I was order #62 a year ago February.

Researching Jon Buford, the guy behind the MakiBox, he seems to be of solid engineering stock. He's a Carnegie-Mellon grad that has been designing consumer products in Hong Kong for over a decade. If you could built a quality printer for $350 shipped (the initial kit with a heated bed) on this planet, Hong Kong, with incredibly cheap manufacturing nearby, could do it. The videos I have seen if him, he seems a true engineer and not some fly-by-night huckster. His "Howdy folks" video have no hint of up-sell or late-night infomercial 'buy now'. The kit he's trying deliver is something closer to what average folks can use-- a few hours to assemble and little to no tweaking to get it to work.

In the 3D printer lab at an art college I used to teach at, the lab manager got an early MakerBot and had to tinker so much, he eventually shelved it. I love to tinker as much as I can, but just don't seem to have as much time as I want.

I should be ticked off for not getting my MakiBox printer yet--initially estimated to ship a year ago April--but the nearly weekly updates kept most of my concerns at bay. Last summer, they offered my money back if I wanted to pull out. I've considered it a few times, but have found some patience. The bonus of an attached pellet extruder has tons of appeal to me after seeing the cost of filament over just pellets.

After seeing a local makers group work on their RepRaps--I really don't want to tinker that much--I can still wait. Last shipping estimates for initial orders at currently at mid to late May.
[makibox.com]
One more month. Grrrrrr.

Bloomberg TV did an short video on them last week:
[www.bloomberg.com]

And CNN did an online article:
[edition.cnn.com]

After having a cough from seeing a demo of a local maker's extruder turning PLA pellets in to dense smoke, I'll let the likes of Jon work out the kinks for me.

I'm betting(hoping) they can pull it off.

I'd love to see their team work on a delta bot next.
April 14, 2013 03:13PM

After seeing a local makers group work on their RepRaps--I really don't want to tinker that much--I can still wait. Last shipping estimates for initial orders at currently at mid to late May.

Ignoring the design issues pointed out in this thread for a moment.
I'm just wondering why you think an assembled printer using many of the same ideas as a rep-rap will involve less tinkering?
The reason I never recommend prebuilt hobby level printers to people is that things go wrong, and if you didn't build it your chances of diagnosing the issue and addressing it are small.
Getting a quality print out of anything at the hobby level involves experimentation, having a setup for known hardware takes some of the variables out of the equation, but you still need to level the bed, set the 0 height accurately, adjust the slicer settings, at least setting the temperature which is dependent on both the printer and the plastic in use etc etc.
April 14, 2013 04:16PM
Polygonhell Wrote:
> Ignoring the design issues pointed out in this
> thread for a moment.
> I'm just wondering why you think an assembled
> printer using many of the same ideas as a rep-rap
> will involve less tinkering?

Evolution. Simplification. I believe/hope, organized testing. Their approach to deliver more of a consumer-level product.

Their blog shows promise. albeit, undelivered so far, but promise:
[makibox.com]

Well over a decade ago, I assembled an electric RC heli, converted from gas to electric. I didn't have the built up skills to fly it properly, so didn't know if it was my assembly, the design, the conversion, my lack of skills or an amalgam of them for my limited flights. But to get a more finished, evolved, tested kit a year and a half later, things were much better. and much better gyros.

At the local makers group, they have a Replicator2, arrived fully built, and a good group of folks building the basic RepRaps to start. Some people like to drive, other like to mod and or build their car from scratch. Some folks like Apples, other like Linux. I like my Mac, but often drop to the Terminal for some things. Still waiting for modular, open-source electric cars.

But also waiting for my MakiBox, i have not researched the other innovations like SCARA and Delta bot printers I'm just getting exposed to. It is very interesting times. We will see how the consumer commercial side shakes out. The rostock is fascinating to watch.
April 14, 2013 07:11PM
Just pointing out that 2 posts that are both on the same thread from a brand new user that just signed up to post on said thread has been done before and will probably be done again.

For me I will listen more to an established user than someone I just mentioned. Might have the cleanest merits on your part but I have been taken before by people doing just as I mentioned. No more rabbit holes for me.

_______
April 16, 2013 04:07PM
I surely hope I'm not taken either. They initially said it would ship a year ago April. But, following their blog and video posts, I remain hopeful.

The simplification and innovation/evolution I saw in R/C aircraft -- radios, batteries, brushless motors and controllers, gyros, telemetry, etc. -- keeps me hopeful for the 3d printing technology. I wish the Berry3dBot printer was available commercially as a kit--and affordable to me. I think the delta and SCARA systems may overtake the Cartesian ones in the future.

Heck, I would have not believed I could be typing on my iPad mini ten years ago. And it beats using a Kaypro 10 or Commodore SX-64 from over 25 years ago.

Not looking for any converts, and I've been down my share of rabbit holes to not wish that on anyone. Just here to learn, and maybe be helpful where I can.

I wish I had it in my hands and could say if they pulled it off, or it truly is crap. Hopefully I won't have to wait past May.
April 16, 2013 06:31PM
rtideas Wrote:
> I surely hope I'm not taken either. They initially
> said it would ship a year ago April. But,
> following their blog and video posts, I remain
> hopeful.
>
> The simplification and innovation/evolution I saw
> in R/C aircraft -- radios, batteries, brushless
> motors and controllers, gyros, telemetry, etc. --
> keeps me hopeful for the 3d printing technology. I
> wish the Berry3dBot printer was available
> commercially as a kit--and affordable to me. I
> think the delta and SCARA systems may overtake the
> Cartesian ones in the future.
>
> Heck, I would have not believed I could be typing
> on my iPad mini ten years ago. And it beats using
> a Kaypro 10 or Commodore SX-64 from over 25 years
> ago.
>
> Not looking for any converts, and I've been down
> my share of rabbit holes to not wish that on
> anyone. Just here to learn, and maybe be helpful
> where I can.
>
> I wish I had it in my hands and could say if they
> pulled it off, or it truly is crap. Hopefully I
> won't have to wait past May.

Lets hope so and as far as sharing post more as I like what you have to say.

_______
April 17, 2013 11:33AM
I would have asked for my money back WAY before now. Over a year past shipping dates. That's way more time than it took me to source and assemble my current printer.

Would be very frustrated if I was a supporter, this was my first printer, was ready to get into 3D printing NOW but had to wait over a year to even get a printer.
April 20, 2013 07:19AM
Yep, it is frustrating but sightings of beta boxes are coming in now smiling smiley

This is very fresh "spoor" of a wild makibox:

[www.youtube.com]

No Beta test print results or calibration tales yet but I expect they're only days away.

Cheers,
Robin.
April 20, 2013 09:38PM
Dark Alchemist Wrote:
> Traumflug Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 2D laser printers can, unlike traditional book
> and
> > newspaper printers, print only dots. These
> days,
> > the resolution of those dots is fine enough to
> > make the results pretty much indistinguishable
> > from traditional machines.
>
> That is something I have been wondering about if
> we will go to this route? I doubt we will see
> that being done with a filament printer though but
> using a new technology very possibly. Who is to
> say we can't use the technology of a bubble
> jet/ink jet printer with another liquidy like
> material (like the ink we use in 2d printers now)
> that has a Z added? Print with dots, like the ink
> jets/bubble jets do now, and give it depth so it
> will be extremely hi-resolution, print way faster
> with more accuracy than we have now, and give us
> the possibility of true color prints.
>
> What do you think? Think that might happen?

No. I try to avoid printing documents unless I absolutely have to, as the ink industry manages to stuff 5 cents worth of ink into a non refillable 26 dollar cartridge that fails prematurely way to much of the time. Do you really want your pocket picked the same way when you print in 3d? I certianly don't. I'm building what I believe will be a much improved multi color large scale printer that I will then make a product of. I am using better parts for everything, because in the end, the quality of the prints, the reliability factor, the question, can I use this machine to make things I need or can sell far out weigh how much did I pay for the printer initially. A printer designed like a piece of machinery is goiong to have improved capability. And as we all participate in the advancement of Reprap design, one thing is inescapable; the designs are going to become more and more complex, more elaborate, and yes more expensive. Compare a Model T with a Ford Focus. That will give an example of how design progresses to fill ever evolving needs and expectations. There are members of this community who can achieve remarkable results with a given machine while someone else, with a similar machine, may never get the kind of prints we all hope for. So what happens next is up to each of us. Stratasys has FDM machines, so I would assert that there is not an inherent roadblock in FDM. If you want something really REALLY big, how much powder do you want to mess with? Or resin? No I think that collectively we are on the right path, but I'll echo those who state that you get what you pay for. The time for a $200 machine I do not for one believe is here, because when it comes, it will be injection molded of as few parts as possible, and will look more like the document printer on your desk, and they will not sell it till they have a way to tax you for each print. And I would predict that it will be 100% propriatary. This is where the 3Dsystems cube is headed. Before you can go cheap, you have to perfect everything. You have to have a product that works flawlessly, out of the box until it exceeds the warranty period by at least 100% I think that there is a ready market of consumers that are very eager to get their hands on a $200 printer, so much so that that is the only aspect they are looking at. confused smiley
April 20, 2013 10:53PM
"Compare a Model T with a Ford Focus. That will give an example of how design progresses to fill ever evolving needs and expectations."

Yet, on a comparitive level, the Ford Focus is less expensive to make overall and if we destroy the unions we could make said Ford Focus (btw, it is a pos car) via an all mechanical process which could make the car entirely by machines. No labor costs , insurance costs, fat assed labor union extortions and pay outs, no retirement at 80% of what you made while you actually performed a service for Ford.

Fact is that the more elaborate the machine gets the less expensive it can become until human freaking greed sets in.

Compare an IBM Selectric typewriter circa 1961 to a Selectric styled printer to a 9 pin dot matrix to a 24 pin dot matrix circa 1988. You will find the 24 pin dot matrix has a ton more brains to it but had less parts overall and actually cost less than that 1961 IBM Selectric typewriter did.

The Selectric: Typewriter Of Kings
John Biggs
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011
Comments

Technologizer has a great retrospective on one of the most powerful information creation machines ever built – the IBM Selectric. The result of “seven years of research,” the Selectric typewriter entered the national consciousness in 1961 and died only when its creator, IBM, began to create its electronic replacement.

In the end, this typewriter changed the way we thought of publishing and information sharing and redefined penmanship as a lost art. It cost about $3,000 in today’s dollars and feature a replaceable type ball that improved typing speeds immensely.
Now compare that to 150 to 180 dollars for my Panasonic 1124 in 1988 (What cost $180 in 1988 would cost $343.98 in 2012.).

So, long story short prices do not go up on technology and the only things that do not seem to keep to the inflationary scale are houses, automobiles, fuel. Those last items that do not are due to greed mainly by many external factors.

The time for a $200 machine I do not for one believe is here, because when it comes, it will be injection molded of as few parts as possible, and will look more like the document printer on your desk, and they will not sell it till they have a way to tax you for each print. And I would predict that it will be 100% propriatary.
Agreed, sadly.

_______
April 22, 2013 01:31PM
Yes, the only way really cheap printers are a sustainable business is by selling proprietary media - like Cube does - though Cube forgot to sell it cheap (they charge a good amount for both the printer - and the media is 9x the price per KG (yes, I calculated it from someone posting the weight of a full and empty cartridge)) of filament on Amazon). I don't think I will ever be interested in one that I cannot get cheap supplies for. Hmm, that being said, I don't refill my ink jet cartridges myself - I just see my wife buy them on Amazon and I don't say anything. But I have not taken a personal interest in that.

3D printers will really take off when Epson/Canon/Brother start making them and sell them at Best Buy, and Reprap has created and proven the market for it. We owe so much to the creators of the hardware that also spurned the development of the software that I love - Slic3r and Repetier mostly in my case. Now that the great software exists, companies can sell printers made from manufactured parts that use that software. I am not interested in very limited consumer-friendly software, such as what the Cube uses, as I love too much trying all of the parameters. But eventually once the parameters are well understood, and I trust that it has been figured out, I would give up control over things that can be automatic in software, as I do with my ink-jet printer. Clearly self-calibration will be a reality in the near-future.

As far as self-replicating printers - when Reprap started there was no way to buy a cheap printer, and there was no market to sell manufactured parts to build better printers at home. Now that there are thousands of Repraps, I am surprised there are not more people on Ebay selling billet aluminum or injection-molded (with fiber reinforcement) frame pieces. At this point, with the way things are turning out, my interest in using printed parts is for prototyping and modifying designs to come up with new ideas rather than have printed parts in a machine that I need to be rigid, light, and fast. Once you can use maybe 500 or more of something, it is time to get that part manufactured.

The day of sourcing $580 in parts to spend 40 hours to build a printer that is not as good as an $800 SolidDoodle-3 are over. Before it was the only way to get a printer at home, so it attracted people who both liked to make machines as well as people who just wanted to print stuff. Pretty much now it only makes sense to people who like to build machines as a hobby unto itself. And that being said, the manufactured machines starting this year are going to be so much better than threaded-rod machine, that the people who like to build machines are going to have to move to Mendel Max or some other design which is rigid enough to move fast in order to not feel left out of the performance gains that the commercial machines will soon demonstrate. But the parts to build such a machine from scratch are over $1000 - and since there will be $1000 pre-assembled machines that are just as good, the economics of making your own machine are vaporizing - as the Chinese are coming online and so prices will plummet.

For me - I have a lathe and mill at home, and modified my mill to CNC from scratch (built the controller, used Mach3, and made the motor mounts). I have built three RC helicopters. I am a programmer. I know how to source parts and make stuff, but I am going to put my creative energy into 3D modeling and making things on a printer - and if I think of any - doing mods and improvements to the printer, and experimenting with materials. I am not happy with building a 3D printer that uses standard threaded rod with ordinary nuts (as opposed to ballscrews) - they make Baby Jesus cry. It was good to get the concept going 2+ years ago, but is crap starting a new machine at this moment and doing it now. To someone who likes machines - cameras, guns, bicycles - that would be like building a bicycle from stuff that I can buy at a hardware store. I am still all for building machines for pleasure, but would want to use precision parts.

Many small companies are taking home printers to the next level, and also driving prices down. Then the wave after that will be larger companies (like Canon/Epson/Brother) having a wave of development. 3D printers now are like home computers in 1979. We have another 30 years before they catch up to what we want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 04:09PM by rsilvers.

[www.matter-replicator.com]
any place in japan where i can have a demo and buy this machine ?
May 25, 2013 02:23PM
haha no i think this is still a work in progress.
May 27, 2013 10:40AM
Yep, work in progress but getting perilously close to release:

[www.makibox.com]

Cheers,
Robin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login