Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Serial_installer under Windows 8?

Posted by Wired1 
Serial_installer under Windows 8?
January 05, 2013 05:00AM
There doesn't seem to be a category for Pronterface anywhere here so I guess it's a general question smiling smiley.
I have been running Pronterface under Windows 7 and earlier without any problems but today when I tried to run it from a Windows 8 machine it would not allow the usb to serial converter "serial_install.exe" to run. Anyone got a replacement program for this out of date unit?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Re: Serial_installer under Windows 8?
January 11, 2013 09:40PM
This doesn't ring a bell...

What kind of electronics are you running on your machine? If it is arduino-based, then you should install the arduino drivers that match. Pronterface itself doe not require the installation of any drivers. There is a PySerial thing, but that's something else.
January 11, 2013 10:42PM
Yes you're right Pronterface itself is OK just can't see the USB port as a valid comms port. The serial_install program is a USB to serial port emulator and that's the bit that won't run. I don't have any Win 8 machines yet so not a problem for me but anyone else trying to run it will have problems.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 11, 2013 11:08PM
What electronics are you running?
January 12, 2013 12:38AM
Printrboard and Axteeg X3. Both need the USB to serial port emulator. Pronterface must have been written long ago before USB ports were the norm. I probably should be changing to a newer host, any suggestions?

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
January 12, 2013 01:42AM
Search for ftdi drivers and load them ( if you can for windows 8)
The printrboard is based off of the Teensylu originally based on Sanguinololu. This uses a Ateml AT90USB1286 microcontroller with onboard usb, there is no ftdi chip to require drivers for. I am having the same problem and havent found a solution yet.
February 01, 2013 06:41AM
Jacob is correct, its a AT90USB1286 with virtual UARTs over USB

Can someone tell me the VID/PID for Printrboard and Axteeg X3?

For a teensy 2++ (also a AT90USB1286) the VID/PID is 16c0:0483

If its the same I can have a play on a windows 8 machine at work next week...
February 01, 2013 06:54AM
Actually after a bit of googling I find

[www.pjrc.com]

Which basally says that windows 8 now requires signed drivers and how you can get around it to install non signed like you have.

So give the top half a try, then run your serial_install.exe
February 01, 2013 05:31PM
You can run the exe in compatability mode (ie XP SP3.....right click the exe then select properties) or run it from a folder in the x86 programs folder
February 01, 2013 06:24PM
CdnReprap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can run the exe in compatability mode (ie XP
> SP3.....right click the exe then select
> properties) or run it from a folder in the x86
> programs folder
I'm pretty sure we did this and it still wouldn't work - compatibility mode that is. Didn't try the other option.

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
February 10, 2013 12:41AM
I had similar issues getting a plain vanilla Arduino to work on Windows 8. This fixed it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdE72XUYC7k

Not sure if it'll work on an Azteeg, but as I finally finished my wiring I'm about to need to try! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login