Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Buying a printer in UK [Newcomer]

Posted by demetris 
Buying a printer in UK [Newcomer]
January 08, 2013 04:21AM
Hello everyone!

I decided to go ahead a buy a printer since i cannot fight the urge anymore! Unfortunately, not much funds available so I am going for about sub 700 Euros (~$1000, ~GBP600). I am looking at my options right now and I wanted to ask about 3d printer shops (kits or assembled) located in UK (or other english speaking shops in Europe). The reason are the high customs charges in my country if the product is coming from outside Europe.

So far I know of reprappro.com and actually I was thinking about getting a Huxley but after reading some posts in the forum I am a bit discouraged.
Same thing goes for the sumpod.com.

[tl;dr] Please let me know of any printer shops in Europe

Thanks!
Re: Buying a printer in UK [Newcomer]
January 08, 2013 05:32AM
You should check out Nopheads Mendel90.
January 08, 2013 05:53AM
I have a reprappro Mendel and it was reasonably straightforward to build (I have an engineering and electronics background), it's producing good prints and I'm quite happy with it.

The Mendel90 does look very good though. The electronics are very similar but the mechanical design looks easier to line up and is very nicely thought out.

Good build log for the Mendel90 - [marcos.scriven.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 06:50AM by MarkMarsh.
January 08, 2013 08:38AM
Thanks tprime and Mark for the replies.

Mark that build log you have posted is great! I might buy Mendel90 after all. I have the same experience and confidence (medium-low that is!) as the author of that build log. Nice read.
January 08, 2013 09:09AM
demetris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks tprime and Mark for the replies.
>
> Mark that build log you have posted is great! I
> might buy Mendel90 after all. I have the same
> experience and confidence (medium-low that is!) as
> the author of that build log. Nice read.

+1 for the Mendel90. I blogged about my experiences building it, which might help your decision.

[marcos.scriven.org]
January 08, 2013 09:46AM
It already has! smiling smiley
Thank you for the nice write-up of the process.

marcosscriven Wrote:
>
> +1 for the Mendel90. I blogged about my
> experiences building it, which might help your
> decision.
>
> [marcos.scriven.org]
January 08, 2013 08:16PM
For your area and price range, the reprap pro mendel is a good choice.
January 29, 2013 03:30AM
Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to thank you all for your help.
I went with Mendel90 and I am really happy with it. So far it has been a great experience!

Thanks again guys. I appreciate you help.
January 29, 2013 01:55PM
I recently put together a reprappro mendel. it is a great machine with good quality prints.

it cost me €668 and it was worth every cent. I would definitely recommend it to anyone starting out. I had very little experience with building something like this however the instructions were perfect so I ended up with a great printer. can't wait to add another two extruders and get printing in three colours.

best of luck with whichever one you choose. you'll have a fun experience in the 3d printing world.

make sure you use the IRC chat if you get stuck. instant answers to your problems from a very knowledgeable and friendly group of people.

Keithcl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login