Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best extruder and hotends out there

Posted by endl3ss 
Best extruder and hotends out there
January 22, 2013 08:31PM
I'm building a 3d printer and right now I'm looking for parts. I'm just curious on which hotends and extruder out there is the best. If you happen to enter this topic please drop a message on your own opinion which one out there is the best to use and why did you recommend it. Thanks a lot.
Re: Best extruder and hotends out there
January 22, 2013 10:44PM
Well, I can tell you what to avoid; Hot End Clones.

Are you looking at a direct drive extruder or a Wades style geared extruder or a bowden style extruder?

Blog - [airtripper.com]
Extrude Filament Force Sensor - [airtripper.com]
January 22, 2013 11:42PM
J-head is the entry level standard IMHO. just make sure you get a V and not a IV or older. And as airtripper said, avoid clones! They often are no where near spec and missing design parts altogether in some cases.
January 22, 2013 11:42PM
What do you mean by direct driver extruder?.. I already choose J-head hotend because of lots of positive comments about it. Now I'm looking for a extruder that is performance great. THanks a lot.
January 23, 2013 05:01AM
Direct drive means the filament is driven by a Hobbed drive wheel fitted to the motor shaft.
Geared extruders usually have a small gear on the motor shaft driving a bigger gear, that big gear drives a Hobbed bolt that moves the filament down to the hot end.

Geared extruders usually give more steps per revolution so you can get very accurate drive and higher torque than a direct drive.

I always use geared extruders.

Do a search for 'Wade Greg reloaded extruder' on thingiverse.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 23, 2013 09:39AM
richrap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ........
> I always use geared extruders.
>
> Do a search for 'Wade Greg reloaded extruder' on
> thingiverse.

+1 to that, Printed that very extruder as a replacement for my original Greg's accessible.
Also I use some beefy herringbone parametric gears to drive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login