Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IRC channel?

Posted by Joost 
IRC channel?
May 11, 2007 09:33AM
Hey all,

I vaguely recall that someone here once mentioned an (IRC) chat channel for reprappers. Is there such a thing, and if so, on which server can it be found? Are there people also using it?

Cheers,
Joost
Re: IRC channel?
May 11, 2007 09:46AM
not sure. i'm hardly ever on IRC... but it would make sense. i would imagine its something like irc.freenode.net #reprap
Anonymous User
May 11, 2007 09:58AM
Anyone thought about setting up TeamSpeak, or similar?

~D
May 11, 2007 11:09AM
The Skype chat window works pretty well for informal, one-on-one conversations. You can also add others onto a particular chat and it has a very good history recording feature. You can also transfer files between chatters with no problem at all. I use it all the time.

Mind, MSM Messenger and Yahoo Messenger do pretty much the same thing. I just focus on Skype because I also use it for my VOIP telephone service. It's very handy.
May 11, 2007 03:54PM
I'm usually on irc, in the channel
#reprap
on the server
irc.freenode.net

It's usually fairly quiet, but that's because no one knows about it.

I favor irc over the other messaging tools because there's already multiple communities there. The irc client xchat works well.
May 11, 2007 04:20PM
Some notion of exactly how to get on that channel would be useful.
May 11, 2007 04:59PM
Inceredible short howto for IRC

- Download a client (i.e. mIRC for windows, various FOSS apps for GNU Linux) This site has a list: [www.ircreviews.org]
- Define a nickname
- Sign on to the server: irc.freenode.net
- Join the channel #reprap (something like "join #reprap" in the command line)

That's it...

Joost
May 11, 2007 08:10PM
If there's demand for such a thing, I'd be glad to set up a web-based IRC client for #reprap on freenode.
May 11, 2007 09:24PM
I have never seen any body there? we should have a time to meet like once a week.
on the reprap freenode
May 11, 2007 09:51PM
I currently see three people in there besides me.
May 12, 2007 03:22AM
Things to remember about IRC:

0) Expect delays in conversation. People can be busy or away from the computer. If you are away, use the /away command.

1) Stay logged in, and use the /away command when you're busy or away from the computer. This way people can ask you a question, you can see and answer the question a few hours later, and they can the response when they check irc. e.g.
Z - "Sebastien, have you shredded those files yet?"
-a few hours later
me - "Sorry, I just got took care of it. Is there a hurry?"
Z - "No, just feeling paranoid."

2) Use tab completion for names. If the channel gets busy, preface your statement by the recipient's name so that people can more easily track parallel conversations. e.g.
me - "Zach, are the police there yet?"
Z - "Sebastien, what police?"
me - "Zach, nevermind."

3) Many irc clients can be set to beep when people use your name. This is useful if your irc window isn't currently visible. e.g.
"Zach, get out of there! They got your address from my backups files!"

---------

I don't mind a weekly irc meetup, although finding a convenient time might be tricky. Saturday evenings, 9 pm GMT, 6 pm EST, 3 pm PST, (Sunday 9 am NZST) might work. Does that not work for anyone?
May 12, 2007 09:21AM
That works for me so tonight at 6pm est..??

Bruce W.
May 12, 2007 05:18PM
that would be pretty useful... theres a ton of free java applets that are quite nice that will do it for you.

we could even put it up on something like chat.reprap.org. if you're interested, PM me.
May 12, 2007 07:11PM
You might want to put a more obvious note on [reprap.org] directing people to IRC.. the 'chat is also availible' at the bottom made me think that the app an IRC frontend for that very channel.
I'd volunteer to set it up - and will if no one else will - but my skills with anything web-based are notoriously bad, so I'm only a last resort grinning smiley
May 13, 2007 07:46PM
[dev.allalone.org] should work without much problem. Let me know if this is not the case for anyone.
May 17, 2007 04:27PM
[chat.reprap.org]
Everyone come say 'hi'. smiling smiley
December 23, 2007 08:21PM
chat.reprap.org server seems dead?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login