Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moving Mass

Posted by unlimitedbacon 
Moving Mass
January 27, 2013 05:12PM
Hello Everyone, its time to do science.

I'd like to do a comparison of the moving mass of various types of printers since this seems to be the main factor affecting acceleration. Suprisingly, there seems to be very little data about this online. I think it would be really interesting and useful for optimizing designs.

If you have some free time and a scale, could you post the weight of the moving parts of your printer? Most printers have seperate moving parts for each axis (i.e. the Mendel moves the platform for the Y axis and the extruder for the X axis), so remember to weigh them seperately. Also remember to post the type of printer and the acceleration values from your firmware (mm/s^2). In fact, if you also tried an acceleration that turned out to be too fast, I'd like to know that too.

I'm interested in all kinds of printers, not just repraps. Especially those with unique designs or ones that are really dialed in and pushed to their limits.
Re: Moving Mass
January 28, 2013 05:44AM
For my first RepRap, a modified Sells Mendel with open x carriage, gregstruder, lm8uu holders on the frog and 6mm glass:

Entire Y-axis: ~1300g.
X-carriage: ~700g.

It ran fived firmware on gen3 techzone remix. From the calibration information I've saved, I used min print speed XY = 1400 and max print speed XY = 2000 with acceleration on. But in the last firmware I uploaded I see I turned acceleration off and used: "our maximum feedrates in mm/minute" #define FAST_XY_FEEDRATE 3000.0

It resonated absolutely terrible at certain speeds, but I made it print satisfactory enough to make me the parts for a Prusa.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_8252s.JPG (260.1 KB)
Re: Moving Mass
January 28, 2013 11:02AM
The Printxel has a 400g X carriage and probably half that for Y with a 140x140mm empty bed. Marlin defaults lately. Double pulley (for torque) setup on 1400g-cm NEMA14's. It's not a fast printer at all, but speed is limited by the hotend and not the mechanics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login