Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendelmax Larger Aluminum Extrusions 30mm x 30mm

Posted by scubi 
Mendelmax Larger Aluminum Extrusions 30mm x 30mm
January 29, 2013 01:01PM
Hi,
I am unable to get the 20mm x 20mm Aluminums Extrusions in South Africa but can get a 30mm x 30mm . Would this work with the Mendel Max 1.5 ?
Is there anyway I can make any modifications ?

Thanks
Vaughan
Re: Mendelmax Larger Aluminum Extrusions 30mm x 30mm
January 29, 2013 03:29PM
There's no reason it wouldn't work in theory, but you would have to make some significant modifications to the printed parts. Looking at my mendelmax 1.5, you'd need to modify the bottom vertices, and the top, and either modify the z-motor mounts, or adjust the lengths of the top bars. You'd also need to modify the y smooth rod holders, and probably modify/drill all the holes bolting the plastic to the tnuts, since I presume 30x30 bars have bigger screws. Doable, but I'd definitely make absolutely sure you can't get the 20x20 extrusions first, it'd be much easier.
January 30, 2013 12:56AM
Hi James
Thanks for the help, I looked emailed the 3 main suppliers in SA and they don't do that size. Importing them is crazy with the price R900 and still R640 in freight. If I had to buy in SA it would cost me R200 in total . So you can see why it's so crazy with exchange rate and shipping. The sad thing is I have already bought all the printed parts and other items for the Mendelmax already.
January 30, 2013 07:11AM
R900 sounds a bit rich... Is that through your local supplier or online?
It's probably worth checking with Motedis, KJN or Misumi if they ship to South Africa. Shipping may still be very expensive though.

Personally I'd stick with 20x20 extrusions even at those high costs. Getting plastic parts that fits 30x30 is probably a major headache (do the models even exist?). There are enough other headaches in self sourcing that it is worth every effort to avoid this one.

/Andreas
January 30, 2013 10:32AM
Hi Andreas,
No it's not local because I can not find it local, it's online at approximately $90.00 and still shipping which comes to approximately R900 So it's very expensive for me to buy it online. I bought 6m of solid Aluminum bar at R300. I can get square 20m x 20mm square tube , but that will still not help me.

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login