Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

www.Reprap-Models.com

Posted by logan 
www.Reprap-Models.com
November 07, 2008 03:53PM
Hi people.
I am very excited about this post im writing now.
I read this topic back when it was started and already then I had an idea for a site like that. But reading about it here, was what really got me started.
I didnt post anything when i started it because i wasn't sure i was up for the task.
But, without further ado, here it is: www.reprap-models.com

The database is at the time of posting completly empty but in the days and weeks to come, we will be posting different models we deem helpful or necessary to the reprap community.

For two reasons i will not upload other people's models first of all because i have no right to and even opensource, free to share models, i will not upload because of the way the website is built up.
Every item has a page and is linked to the account of the creator.
Therefore if you want something specific, like the actual reprap parts,
please, please ask the creators of the objects.

I apologize for multi posting, but i wanted it both in the original topic where i got the motivation, but also here in its own topic.
sid
Re: www.Reprap-Models.com
November 07, 2008 06:51PM
okay I take this one then winking smiley

keep it short:
NICE!

take some more words:
some very familiar page design you have there, that is nice,
I wonder about the layout of uploaded models (gallery and single file view)
would you mind uploading some fake files for a closer view?
Only thing that makes me wonder is the forum there,
I think it's quite hard to not mess up having two forums for mainly the same purpose.

'sid
November 07, 2008 07:29PM
Thank you for the reply Sid,

I have uploaded a test file, and thereby magicly openned up for the downloads page, heh.

About the forum, iv been thinking hard about other topics that can be added, but cant come up with anything that hasnt been covered here on the reprap forums.

Oh and about there being two forums for the same, i may need to cut it out more clearly on the website,
one is ment for making requests about new models to be uploaded,
one is for problems with either download, kinks on the website, or the actual pringting (though id prefer if that was taken here on the official forum, since the people here are those who have the most experience)
and the last one is for anything really, as long as its suitable for everyone.

But im always open for suggestions to either the website or forum topics.
Regards,
-Logan
sid
November 07, 2008 08:16PM
whoops, please check your css again.
the Pagetitle (Accessories [ Any kind of accessories for your gadgets. ])
is way to large to be displayed properly and it breaks the line and covers the object title (Test file v1)

And now the bad thing winking smiley
(I'm sorry about that really...)
The problem I see is your tree like repository mostly not because of the first layer (in fact it's good to have the parts categorized) but you ought to have all layers visible at once (except the file layer) to make sure one could find an object again that one has seen yesterday fast and efficient winking smiley
And the filelayer should have a small image preview to clearify cryptic filenames grinning smiley
you cannot force someone to name a file properly and an image would help.
especially within the filedescription page the image should be visible directly (without another click).

beyond that it looks very nice.

oh I'm sorry just another thing I'd love to see:
another row to add a optional forumlink to discuss the file in the forum,
to prevent multiple threads about one single file.
maybe not even optional, but created automatically that way new files could be noticed via rss feeds...
I'm getting too far, sorry again.

nice work!

'sid
November 08, 2008 05:36AM
Ah, thank you sid, i hadnt spotted that one, ill get on it asap!

And about your suggestions to the website.

And now the bad thing winking smiley
(I'm sorry about that really...)
thats alright, as said im open to suggestions.

The problem I see is your tree like repository mostly not because of the first layer (in fact it's good to have the parts categorized) but you ought to have all layers visible at once (except the file layer) to make sure one could find an object again that one has seen yesterday fast and efficient winking smiley

The reason the download list is made like a repository tree, is that at some point there will be just to many files for a single page like that, but your right, i should probably open it up a single layer so you see the sub-categories aswell.

And the filelayer should have a small image preview to clearify cryptic filenames grinning smiley
you cannot force someone to name a file properly and an image would help.
especially within the filedescription page the image should be visible directly (without another click).

yea, i spotted the link instead of a thumbnail yestaday after having announced the website, and it will be fixed.

Beyond that it looks very nice.
Thanks smiling smiley

oh I'm sorry just another thing I'd love to see:
another row to add a optional forumlink to discuss the file in the forum,
to prevent multiple threads about one single file.
maybe not even optional, but created automatically that way new files could be noticed via rss feeds...
I'm getting too far, sorry again.

actually you gave me an idea there. But I wont post about it until im sure its possibly smiling smiley

Thanks again for the suggestions.
-Logan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2008 09:22AM by logan.
Ant
November 17, 2008 03:18AM
There's lots of other sites out there with 3D models as well.

One thing I recommend, since sites tend to come and go, I think you should put some sort of a message on there stating that people are free to put the models on their own websites, and also advise people uploading models that people are free to put them on other websites, and also you should keep a local copy of all the models and if someone else wants to put them on their website and they write you and ask for them, you can then send them all you have.

Also, anyone who wants to should go to other websites and see if they can find websites that allow you do download their models and put them on your own site. Most of the big sites probably don't allow it, even though other people make the models, the big sites will probably claim them as their intellectual property. I'm not sure of course, you'd have to check out their licensing agreement, but I highly suspect that is the case.

Tony
November 22, 2008 11:51AM
Hi, im sorry i havnt replied until now, iv been in "work experience"(?) with my school the whole week, and just havnt had time for anything els.
Ill first return to normal school on the 1st of december, so i probably wont get much done next week either, and to make it all worse i dont have much time this weekend either, hehe.
But! (and theres always a but, be it positive or negative) I have been working a bit on a new set of rules and a set of instructions similar to what your suggesting Ant, which i will be putting up, hopefully during the next week.
November 24, 2008 12:00PM
For licensing the models, which I think you are alluding to with 'set of rules', could I suggest using an existing license/collection of licenses. I've always liked the Creative Commons licenses as they provide a range of 'openness' that better fits reality than the all or nothing style of most licenses.

I'm fairly sure that all of the Creative Commons licenses allow unrestricted non-commercial copying and distribution.

In searching for how/if they apply to physical objects I came across this:

[creativecommons.org]

Is this the same Ian Atkins from BfB?
December 01, 2008 10:44AM
I never even thought of checking some of those pre written licenses, ill have a look at them, though I must admit I prefer writing my own, even though that means they don't look professional, and there may be a few holes in them. but there are good things as well, first of all I know the definition of them, secondly I know I can do whatever I want with the rules (I haven't looked at creative commons yet, so I don't know how they feel about people modifying their licenses)

And, what I really meant was just a new frontpage text(both more user friendly and search engine friendly), and a guide for uploading and downloading files.
which i uploaded this weekend =)
February 23, 2009 03:39PM
Heya people, just a quick update to let you know that I'v recently made a blog for [www.reprap-models.com] which can be found either through the menu tabs at the top or at [reprap-models.com]
I've never had a weblog before so its a whole new world for me, but I'll try to post atleast once a week, and hopefully even more often then that. aslong as there is something to post about atleast =)
Blogged Regards,
-Logan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login