Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sandblasted glass bed

Posted by MPower 
Sandblasted glass bed
February 10, 2013 01:51AM
Anybody using a sandblasted glass bed? I am curious if it makes any difference for the adhesion and the removal of the prints afterwards, as well.
Re: Sandblasted glass bed
February 10, 2013 02:09AM
Are you printing using PLA, or ABS?

In theory, the roughened glass provides slightly more surface area than a flat, but it also has the potential to trap air, so in high humidity environments, it would have the opposite effect.

If you can afford a little more for glass, get borosilicate, A.K.A. Pyrex Glass. It has a much better adhesion than ordinary picture frame/window pane glass. 1/8 inch / 3.5mm is best.

If you want to experiment, you can try an acid etching kit from the crafts stores in your area.
February 10, 2013 02:17AM
Right, forgot the etching paste. It would be much more convenient then taking the glass to a shop for actual sandblasting.

I only print PLA. Average room humidity, just like any other indoor situation. I imagine all the pores of the sandblasted/etched glass will get stamped on the bottom of the print - I am not sure how good it would look, might be a nice effect, or it might look awful.
February 10, 2013 07:57AM
Hello,

I have already try with a homemade sand blasted glass.... You can forget the idea. Its beautiful, but ABS don't stick
February 10, 2013 09:54AM
IMO if you're using pla, a hot glass bed covered in watered down pva glue works wonders. Perfectly smooth bases, but good adhesion too.
February 10, 2013 10:40AM
For me PLA sticks very well to plain glass as long as it is free from finger prints. I don't know why there is such variability between people's findings of what sticks to what.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 10, 2013 10:47AM
I know the repraper filament I use is slightly oily once extruded - you can see that the surface of the pva is much shinier and feels different after a print. I have to reapply pva or at least wipe the surface with water after prints. I suspect that's why I never got it to stick to plain glass. Nophead - do you use higher quality filament?
February 10, 2013 06:26PM
I have only used natural PLA from Vik Olliver (Diamond Age Solutions) and various colours from Fabberdashery. Both are good quality. They all stick well if the glass and plastic are hot enough on the first layer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 06:27PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login