Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wiki-style Collaborative CAD?

Posted by sanman 
Wiki-style Collaborative CAD?
February 12, 2013 03:48PM
Hi,

I'm curious - there seem to be a lot of coders on here, as well as mechanical designers and tinkerers.

Pardon my ignorance, but does anybody know if there is a web-browser-based wiki-style portal for collaborative CAD designs?

I'm talking about something like Wikipedia, but instead of having a text-editor interface, it would be a CAD-style editing interface inside your browser screen. Imagine having a gallery of CAD designs where people could click on an existing design and immediately start modifying it, or where people could contribute their own new designs. Then with all that collaborative designing, it could build up a massive online collection of CAD designs of different things.

Then the RepRap community could immediately download any of those CAD designs to instantly make some useful part, or gadget, or whatever.

Does anything like that exist? Is it browser-based, and have a wiki level of friendliness?
Re: Wiki-style Collaborative CAD?
February 12, 2013 04:13PM
Google Sketchup? I don't use it but it seems to be popular and somewhat open source.
February 12, 2013 04:23PM
Yeah, sure I know about Sketchup - but it's not quite as seamless as Wikipedia, in the sense that you need to download a plugin. It's still not at the point where anybody can just navigate to a page and hit edit and immediately start editing. I was thinking of something more AJAX-based, where it would be more naturally integrated with normal browser function, without even having to download a custom plugin.

The other main thing is that Google Sketchup doesn't allow wiki levels of collaboration. Everybody mostly makes their own model separately, and can upload it to the Google site. While you can allow others to edit it, I don't think you can leave your model open for just anybody to casually edit it, like how anybody can contribute to any given Wikipedia article.

Btw, is there RepRap firmware or software that will directly work with Google Sketchup files?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2013 04:32PM by sanman.
February 12, 2013 05:07PM
It seems like the logical first step towards this would be to get a decent revision control system working with CAD files.
February 12, 2013 07:36PM
Or alternatively, have an AJAX-based editor that can quickly read/write CAD data to backend database, which can store all past states necessary for revision control? The particular format the data is stored in on the database end would be optimized for loading/reading from the frontend editor, and could be independent of any particular CAD file format, with the site allowing you to export to the CAD format of your choice. File storage and database storage are each optimized for different needs.
February 12, 2013 08:25PM
A Wikipedia of 3D modeled eh?...
February 13, 2013 04:56AM
I don't think a web-based CAD application is required. Github can't compile source files either, after all.

What's needed is probably a CAD application available on the three major platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac) plus a simple viewer with some sort of source code management. And this CAD should allow to actually edit a file, like moving a hole, adding a corner, etc. Current CADs pretty much enforce to work as if everything were made from scratch.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

VDX
February 13, 2013 05:00AM
... FreeCAD maybe? - [free-cad.sourceforge.net]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login