Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3DSystems suing Kickstarter....

Posted by murrayd 
3DSystems suing Kickstarter....
February 12, 2013 09:18PM
Disappointing that 3DS, who feel they've got an issue with Formlabs infringing their patents, are suing Kickstarter for 'promoting' the infringement. I find it pretty amazing that people can be sued for being party to an 'infringement' without the 'infringement' having to be established first. Isn't that the actual definition of 'prejudice'?
Anonymous User
Re: 3DSystems suing Kickstarter....
February 12, 2013 09:48PM
I hate it when companies try to monopolize innovation. I knew there was something wrong with this company. Watch bre pettis own this cube lackey: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57368277-1/who-will-get-the-biggest-slice-of-3d-printed-pie/
February 12, 2013 11:22PM
Murrayd: I don't understand how they (3DS) are suing Kickstarter. For "promoting"? Is that kind of like torrent websites "promoting" illegal downloads even if not directly supplied by them? Is Kickstarter liable for intellectual property within their website?

Ohioplastics: That is actually a pretty funny article/video considering the current state of Makerbot/Thingiverse. Things have certainly changed for them...

I especially enjoyed this part of the article: "MakerBot's open-source ethic seems so infused in the company's DNA, and so embraced by 3D-printing enthusiasts, it's reasonable that the company might chug along successfully, and largely indifferent to its profit-driven competition".
February 12, 2013 11:35PM
Because they approve Kickstarter's insividually they are more than simply hosting a service.
Now I don't happen to agree with the lawsuit, but I don't think it shood be a surprise.
February 12, 2013 11:38PM
Oh okay. I didn't realize they approved each one individually...that seems like a pretty cumbersome requirement. Theoretically, they should check every single application for patent infringement? Even the patent offices (at least in the US) can't seem to keep up with who is infringing on what.
Anonymous User
February 13, 2013 12:45PM
I think Makerbot sold out to the man, but I use thingiverse all the time. It would be hypocritical of me to knock them. They still do something of a service to the community in terms of the press they get, which indirectly brings awareness to the RepRap project. 3DS on the other hand are a bunch of mental midgets who provide nothing to the community. They're taking the Apple business model of slash-and-burn litigation to squash any threats to their market share.
February 14, 2013 08:04PM
ohioplastics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Makerbot sold out to the man, but I use
> thingiverse all the time. It would be hypocritical
> of me to knock them. They still do something of a
> service to the community in terms of the press
> they get, which indirectly brings awareness to the
> RepRap project. 3DS on the other hand are a bunch
> of mental midgets who provide nothing to the
> community. They're taking the Apple business model
> of slash-and-burn litigation to squash any threats
> to their market share.

I saw on CNN last night that Obama is embracing the 3d innovation wave, and that he was promoting Makerbot, and how they are largely responsible for all of this. (no mention of Dr. Adrian Bowyer though). The article featured a very nice studio photo of their Replicator 2. There is a link to Makerbots response, and Bre tells how he and Obama have exactly the same ideals and thoughts on the matter. I'm waiting for the televised fireside chat between the two of them smiling smiley

I'll see if I can post the link, although it may not work in all countries,,,

[www.cnn.com]
February 14, 2013 09:39PM
Obama didn't mention MakerBot whatsoever. The article talks about MakerBot, but Obama didn't.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
February 14, 2013 11:22PM
During the google extented livecast or whatever it was called they had a picture of the Makerbot in the slidedeck.
February 15, 2013 02:26AM
I'm still kinda new here, but Makerbot branched off of Reprap, correct>?
VDX
February 15, 2013 02:34AM
xclusive585 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm still kinda new here, but Makerbot branched
> off of Reprap, correct>?

... could be seen so eye rolling smiley

"Zach" Smith, one of the founder of MakerBot industries, was one of the first core-team members too, installed/run the RepRapFoundation, developed the first electronics (Gen1 to Gen3) ... and was sold out/removed from MBI last year confused smiley

So yes, MBI has strong roots to RepRap ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 17, 2013 08:32AM
Probably its better put as "mbi *had* strong roots to RepRap". Past tense seems appropriate - to me, at least.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login