Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

java help needed

Posted by ZachHoeken 
java help needed
May 13, 2007 10:46PM
[blog.reprap.org]

i posted this blog entry about how we're looking for 1 or more people to help out with the RepRap java control software. it would be really awesome if someone from these forums would be willing to fill the role.

also, i've submitted it to digg, dzone, and reddit. the more attention it gets winking smiley the more likely we are to get a kickass dev to help out.

[digg.com]
[reddit.com]
[www.dzone.com]

i'll be making a priority / bugs / todo list soon that should help make what needs to be done more clear. if anyone has suggestions for things that would be nice to have in the software, lets hear 'em!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2007 10:49PM by Zach Hoeken.
Re: java help needed
May 14, 2007 03:03AM
Kind of.
I'm a _reasonably_ decent coder (I think pure code is what I'm best at), and am pretty keen to contribute to reprap. Only thing is, I've only done a few simple things in Java before, and haven't used it in anything major - so I'm definately not the Java Expert you're looking for. I do think I'd be valuable to work alongside one, though, so when you find one, or even if you can't, I can step in.
I won't be able to contribute for the next week (or maybe longer) or so, though, since I'm moving house ATM.
May 14, 2007 03:06AM
Hey Zach,

Although I am not a Java expert, I would like to help out. I will take a look at the code and see if I can understand it sufficiently to be able to work with it and improve. I'll let you know in a few days...

Joost
Anonymous User
May 15, 2007 09:58AM
Hi Zach,

I've been working last few years on various Java projects (professionally) and I'll surely give RepRap some coding help in near future ;-)
May 15, 2007 09:31PM
hey, to all those interested, i made a few threads about things that need to be done. feel free to tackle some of those problems, or add your own stuff too. hopefully soon we'll get a software development forum up and running so the communictation is in a less noisy environment.
May 17, 2007 01:14AM
I'm in as well. I just finished setting up my environment to build and run the host application. It took some doing to get java3d working on unix. If anyone needs any help trying to get thier env setup, let me know.

Thanks,

Yusuf
May 17, 2007 01:18AM
p.s.

The forums are ok to discuss issues about the software, but we should definately get a bug db going to keep track of items. Since the project is already registered on sourceforge, maybe we could use thier bug tracking feature?

Thanks,

Y
Anonymous User
May 22, 2007 05:46PM
Hi,

are there already plans to set up a new java developer forum? Any news on that?
Also the idea of a ticket system is atracking me, because it would be easier to see, who is working on what.

Regards,
Alex
May 22, 2007 09:57PM
i still need to get ahold of simon, but its in the works. i also added a decent list of bugs to the sourceforge page, so check that out.
May 23, 2007 02:59PM
The Bug Tracker at SF is at sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=159590&atid=812438 [sourceforge.net]

How do we "join" the project on SF? I'm not sure you can assign bugs to people who are not members of the project. Sign me p, I'm jmarsden on SF, as well as here.

I'm willing to assign Request 1723115 "Package Host Software" to myself...

I might look at the migration to TxRx serial libary also.

Lete's start using the Tracker more and the forums less, for software development bugs and progress towards their resolution.

BTW, browsing to reprap.sourceforge.net [reprap.sourceforge.net] results in a very unhelpful "site". It would be good to get that redirected to www.reprap.org (or to some relevant site at least), I think?

Jonathan
May 24, 2007 03:11AM
I've started writing an 'arbirtary command' option dialog, intended to replace the command-line 'poke' tool.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login