Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing times

Posted by psilva 
Printing times
February 15, 2013 09:32AM
Hello,

I've looked around and saw some estimated printing times for the printers, but have not see (sorry if it exists) a clear statement of the printing times.

So I'll pop the question:

How long to print a 1 cm cube (1 cm3) completely filled? (assuming a reasonable quality)

PS. Would be nice to have a table with the printing times for different layer thicknesses.

Thanks.

Regards

Pedro
Re: Printing times
February 15, 2013 09:50AM
There are many factors to print times and very machine will be different. I can print a 1cm3 cube in about 6 minutes, or 30 both of acceptable quality.
February 15, 2013 11:05AM
Printing speed is limited by many factors.

Simple shapes with long straight sides: Top speed limits

Complex curved shapes: acceleration and jerk limits speed (and bandwidth can in some cases)

Small objects: Time required for plastic to cool

So, if I print 1x1x1 cube it will take 8-10 minutes since I have set my slicer to a 10 second minimum layer time to stop small things becoming a gooey mess and acceleration means the head never gets to full speed. If If I printed a 2x2x0.25 shape, it has the same volume, but each layer could go down much quicker and it would probably end up taking 1/4 of the time, so 2 minutes or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 11:07AM by konwiddak.
February 15, 2013 11:12AM
If so, is it reasonable to say the the less the height the faster for the same volume, i.e., we can print much faster a 20x20x1 (x.y.z) then a 20x1x20 (x.y.z)?

Also, all the things to be printed should be positioned so that the z-axis length is always the smallest lengths measurement of the part?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 11:14AM by psilva.
February 15, 2013 11:33AM
psilva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If so, is it reasonable to say the the less the
> height the faster for the same volume, i.e., we
> can print much faster a 20x20x1 (x.y.z) then a
> 20x1x20 (x.y.z)?
>
> Also, all the things to be printed should be
> positioned so that the z-axis length is always the
> smallest lengths measurement of the part?

Yes print speed wise, and for other reasons, where possible you generally want to minimise the number of layers.

But something as large as a 20x20x1 would probably have quite similar print times ultimately.

This is assuming you are printing without a raft (which is slow to put down) and your first layer doesn't have to be printed super slow for adhesion!

Of course there are other considerations such as what direction its most aesthetic to have your grain, loading direction of the part (parts are much stronger along the grain than perpendicular), and ease of printing in different orientations (avoiding steep overhangs, allowing a large flat base)

Tall thin objects also have the tenancy to get unstuck from the bed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 11:52AM by konwiddak.
February 15, 2013 08:07PM
most of the print is empty space. you would want to look at the volume in mm cubed extruded.
February 15, 2013 08:28PM
Download Repetier-Host and slice up a few things from Thingiverse. You can see how speeds, layer heights, infill % , infill type all affect the print time. Repetier-Host will show you the estimated print time for the gcode file after it slices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2013 08:29PM by Spk64.
February 18, 2013 05:18AM
Thank you all ... very good information and tips for a newbie to start learning the process.

Regards,

Pedro.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login