Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ive built my prusa v2 need help with firmware

Posted by tattooedfish 
ive built my prusa v2 need help with firmware
February 18, 2013 04:47PM
I got everything but my end stops and heatbed wired up. Figured out how wire power supply to it found some test code that turned on everything at once and everything worked but now I'm stuck.

I can't seem to get marlin or sprinter firmware to compile to board every time I do I get multiple error messages about 60 percent of the way through. I can write code to arduino so I know that's not the issue. I went through the options and made sure I selected 33 for my board and picked the thermister. Can u guys tell me whats the best software combination to use or maybe even point me to a straight toward tutorial based off ramps 1.4
Re: ive built my prusa v2 need help with firmware
February 18, 2013 05:35PM
Anyone... I promise I've searched and just cant seem to find a clear instruction on what software does what. Also what order I need to install it. I did install python even though I'm not.sure what it.does
February 18, 2013 06:21PM
If you're getting compile errors the odds are you are using the wrong version of the arduino tools.
Some firmwares require you use version 023 or 022 and don't work with later ones.
Posting the actual errors would help people diagnose the issue.
February 18, 2013 06:53PM
I'm running the latest version. 1.xx I was unaware I would have issues with running newer firmware. I will go.to the arduino site and download the other versions and see.

I would have listed the errors but I'm stuck at work right now but will post my results when I get home
February 18, 2013 11:38PM
i used 0.23 got it to upload to the board now i got new issues

tried using pronterface i downloaded a pre compiled folder with everything needed to run and i can get it to connect to printer but i get this error

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Feb 18 2013 22:51:34 | Author: (none, default config)
Compiled: Feb 18 2013
echo: Free Memory: 5547 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
ok T:0.0 /0.0 B:0.0 /0.0 @:0 B@:0
February 18, 2013 11:52PM
Look at your extruder thermistor for this problem.. make sure it's wired correctly and you have the proper type selected in your firmware
February 19, 2013 12:20AM
xclusive585 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look at your extruder thermistor for this
> problem.. make sure it's wired correctly and you
> have the proper type selected in your firmware

pretty sure its wired up correctly, it is the mkiv-b hot end however I did not see a option for that type of nozzle in marlin firmware files.
February 19, 2013 01:06AM
You should hunt down the info on the exact thermocouple/thermistor they use in their hotend, then apply the proper number for the proper type in the firmware. I believe the "b" version of your hotend is using a smaller thermistor, maybe it has a different selection?

Chances are whatever they are using is on that list somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 01:08AM by xclusive585.
February 19, 2013 01:07AM
ok.. I feel "dumb" now I figured out my issue was I had not set the fimrware to read temp from thermistor.

I finally got it working.

however new questions is it normal for the pololu stepper drivers to get really really hot. just from sending power to the board?

I also was testing the xyz axis I had the x to the y fixed that issue, however I started smelling a stronge electronics smell and everytime i clicked to 0.1 to make the motors jump a step they seemed to jump back a bit as well is this normal?
February 19, 2013 01:09AM
tattooedfish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok.. I feel "dumb" now I figured out my issue was
> I had not set the fimrware to read temp from
> thermistor.
>
> I finally got it working.
>
> however new questions is it normal for the pololu
> stepper drivers to get really really hot. just
> from sending power to the board?
>
> I also was testing the xyz axis I had the x to the
> y fixed that issue, however I started smelling a
> stronge electronics smell and everytime i clicked
> to 0.1 to make the motors jump a step they seemed
> to jump back a bit as well is this normal?

NO

If your drivers are too hot to touch, they are probably adjusted up too high.
February 19, 2013 01:15AM
ok thanks ima go do some more reading before I blow something up. I know just enough to get myself in trouble ima go do some more reading about how to adjust those and also I forgot i have not installed the jumpers on the ramps 1.4 board yet for microstepping will I want to put all 3 on each one?
February 19, 2013 01:36AM
turned down the pots ive noticed its only the one that i have 2 motors wired into 1 on the z axis thats doing it.
February 19, 2013 03:01AM
also would like to have I have binding issues on every almost every axis. I don't understand it honestly. I finally got to the point that i can job the xyz axis but all of them bind at a certain point which makes no sense to me whatsoever I was very thorough in every step of building and squaring up the parts and by hand all of the parts move very smoothly. The y axis is the one thats giving me the biggist issue but when its not powered up it slides the best so I don't fully comprehend whats going on.

I tried doing a test print and my machine does nothing
February 19, 2013 04:56AM
If you turned he current down too much on your pololus, the motors may not be generating enough torque. Depending on your motors, it can be a fine balancing act to get enough torque without the motors or pololus getting too hot. If you have low resistance motors, you may need heats sinks on your pololus. Some people recommend setting the pololus by measuring the Vref signal. That should result in repeatable and controlled adjustments. Otherwise it can be difficult not to over correct.
February 19, 2013 07:30PM
I am adding heat sinks to the pololu drivers I had them but didn't have any thermal compound until today. I also figured out my threaded rod on my z axis was warped so ima see if I can get some shorter cut pieces instead of a 6ft piece hoping to find 2 that don't have so much wobble.

As much as I don't want to. I'm going to diassemble everything that has linear bearings and not zip tie them until I have the rods inserted. I feel like I could get them to free up some more if the linear bearings were more true to themselves
February 20, 2013 02:19AM
im at a loss. I rechecked everything I can think off its really odd the motors will go in one direction however they will go the other direction as well but only after I have clicked them the other way first and then its only one or 2 steps in the other direction then nothing.

Has to be something to do with the firmware
February 20, 2013 03:01AM
Connect your end stops or disable them in the FW.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 20, 2013 10:33AM
One direction movement is a sign of endstops wired improperly or bad settings in firmware for your endstops. IF a + movement moves your motors towards the endstops then you may need to reverse the motors polarity.
February 21, 2013 04:01AM
Well I fixed one issue to stumble upon another. I didn't install the jumper pins on my ramps board and after I did that it made a big difference in motor response and now my z axis moves smooth as butter how ever my end stops are not working so I gotta figure that one out next
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login