Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Doodle pen

Posted by martinprice2004 
3D Doodle pen
February 19, 2013 08:20AM
Just spotted this on Kickstarter. An excellent use of 3D printing.

3D Doodle Pen
VDX
Re: 3D Doodle pen
February 19, 2013 08:50AM
... yes, excellent designed and presented!

I've made nearly the same with a weld-gun form Orbi-Tech and later with a modified hot-glue-gun - but this pen seems to be much simpler and more reliable in use ... would give it even to my youngest son grinning smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 19, 2013 09:14AM
Looks like a pretty cool gadget. I like the idea of using it as a repair tool. A variant could possibly also be used for applying z-axis banding to decrease delamination issues if it was compacted and suitably attached to a printer and appropriately driven.
VDX
February 19, 2013 09:35AM
... I think, it's essentially an extruder head with a small heavy geared DC-motor, driven by a button switch. Maybe a pressure-sensitive sensor under the press-button would be interesting, so you'll adust the extruding speed by applied force ... should be in everyones toolbox grinning smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

February 19, 2013 12:44PM
xiando Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a pretty cool gadget. I like the idea
> of using it as a repair tool. A variant could
> possibly also be used for applying z-axis banding
> to decrease delamination issues if it was
> compacted and suitably attached to a printer and
> appropriately driven.

I was thinking the same thing. This could be a handy touchup tool. :-)
February 19, 2013 02:18PM
And a pocket spool for the filament smiling smiley
February 19, 2013 02:50PM
VDX Wrote:
> ... yes, excellent designed and presented!
>
> I've made nearly the same with a weld-gun form
> Orbi-Tech and later with a modified hot-glue-gun -
> but this pen seems to be much simpler and more
> reliable in use ... would give it even to my
> youngest son grinning smiley

agree with you 100% , for reprap repairs its perfect.
As to "patent pending" might have some issues, I designed one, and sounds like you worked on one as well VDX.
VDX
February 19, 2013 03:24PM
... I've then built some cage-like structures with the 4mm-filament from Orbi-Tech with unchanged filament-sticks (partially fused together) and manual 'formed' parts.

Here the image of one of the modified hot-glue-guns:
The main modifications were smaller nozzles and controlling the heater with a PID-controller and temp. sensor in the nozzle.

Seeing this small 3Ddoodle-'pen' in action I'm thinking about changing the slicing software, so it could crate coarse infill-grids not only in a plane but in Z too. Think about 'bridging' with a bigger nozzle not only horizontally, but in full 3D winking smiley

Viktor
--------

February 19, 2013 03:38PM
"Seeing this small 3Ddoodle-'pen' in action I'm thinking about changing the slicing software, so it could crate coarse infill-grids not only in a plane but in Z too.'

If I'm reading that correctly, that's what I meant by "z-axis banding"... applying lines of plastic ~perpendicular (or at an angle) to the layers in order to reduce the prints' inherent and improve resistance to delamination.
VDX
February 19, 2013 03:48PM
... yes, but vith 'vertical' (or 3D-angular) bridging you'll get much more - think about complex support structures or geometries possible with freeform-contouring winking smiley

Viktor
--------

February 19, 2013 05:07PM
Oh I agree completely! This was one of the first things I blabbered about with the guys who got me into the reprap project, after accidentally breaking a few of the items my friend had printed and realizing there was a small strength issue to be overcome. "Wow, this 3D printing is just too cool!!! And so stron....... oops sorry dude!"

In any case, for me it's still pretty much an academic issue, since I'm in process building my first printer now, months after I purchased parts. I work too much

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2013 05:17PM by xiando.
February 19, 2013 07:13PM
Invested in that the second I saw this post, cool little toy.
Anonymous User
February 19, 2013 07:27PM
i ordered one 2 spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 20, 2013 06:32AM
In the past I have reworked shrink cracked parts by holding them under the extruder head and injecting molten plastic into the crack. Its a bit messy, but does repair the part well. A bit of cleaning up and the part is quite functional. So using this as a repair tool would work and be much neater.

Other uses for this could be:-

Adding raised text in a different colour to a part.
Adding details such as fur or plastic hair to a printed figure.
Producing parts with captive nuts or studs.
Welding parts together to reduce the bolt count. Fabrication has not been covered much in the Reprap community.
February 20, 2013 08:16AM
The idea of extruding "up" for in fill will run into a lot of problems as regards stopping the extruder colliding with the work though... Layer by layer it isn't a problem as the head is always moving through empty space yet to be printed in, add the third dimension and all of a sudden the exact size and shape of the whole extruder assembly starts to matter.

Cheers,
Robin.
VDX
February 20, 2013 08:21AM
... yes, with printing in Z all involved geometries matter - see this option as 'to be adressed' ... same as (real) 5-axis-printing without support winking smiley

Viktor
--------

February 20, 2013 08:41AM
Zed, no question, inclusion would or will require more effective path generation for the purpose and additional hardware. but this is about ideas, from which springs reality, when interested and qualified folks read and are inspired.
February 20, 2013 01:01PM
February 20, 2013 03:14PM
In industry the main method of welding is with a fixed part and a six axis robot equipped with a welding torch moving around the part to perform the welds. However the other way is sometimes employed where the weld torch (or spot weld head) is fixed and the component is manipulated by the robot under the head. It actually produces better welds as gravity is always working in the direction you want.

I mention this because it may be possible to build a complex part up this way with overhangs and other complexities not currently possible with a layered method. There are a few people working on robot arms and stewart platforms that might overcome some of the limitations you have highlighted.

Perhaps the multi axis robot could hold a plastic sprue and the part built up around it

OK the software to "slice" the tool path would be a challenge, but it could be done.
February 20, 2013 03:43PM
That's a super interesting concept Martin. I could envision a more simplified version that might be useful. If you imagine an offset 1/2 the layer height at the end of the nozzle as a pivot it might be useful to orient the nozzle about that pivot so that you get better stacking with less overhang. A section of a thread is really a capsule and not a circle, but it might work out ok in practice.
February 20, 2013 11:12PM
Zedsquared Wrote:
> The idea of extruding "up" for in fill will run
> into a lot of problems as regards stopping the
> extruder colliding with the work though... Layer
> by layer it isn't a problem as the head is always
> moving through empty space yet to be printed in,
> add the third dimension and all of a sudden the
> exact size and shape of the whole extruder
> assembly starts to matter.

Extruding "down" for infill might be useful for knitting/riveting the layers together for strength. If you could leave little 2-3 layer deep divots or trenches open and then fill them in during the successive layer, they could bind the layers together with a 3D vertical weld, rather than the typical horizontal 2D weld. Darn! Would that have been worth a million dollar patent?
VDX
February 21, 2013 02:05AM
... think about conductive material - something similar (but with conducting paste) is done with 3D-structures in micro-sensors for connecting the horizontal copper-layers with vertical vias.

We used complex structures made from stacked 'green' ceramic sheets, printed with gold-tracks and interconnected with gold-paste ... last step was to 'bake' the multi-layer sandwich in the oven to solidify the ceramic.

This parts has contact pins on bottom and top and can have really complex 3D-shapes for adding prefabbed electronics, pneumatics or fluidic systems ...

Viktor
--------

February 21, 2013 12:45PM
@Sublime, @VDX maybe a bit of a missed oppertunity then? What were the reasons or obstacles?

Also: put pics on the repo! Maybe consider this. Tbh I have a little directory on github too, though nothing much, just an idea for a solder-iron holder using a long beer can.(Newer than i posted here at some point tho) Maybe i should practice what i preach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 12:45PM by Jasper1984.
VDX
February 21, 2013 03:27PM
... I'm using hot-glue guns (normal and modified) for 3D-forming plugs and complex joints and fixtures since 30+ years, with ABS and other plastics since maybe 15 years, so it's a 'normal tool' for me grinning smiley

This absolute fantastic backing of the 3Doodler is really astonishing! - seems to have 'hit a soft spot', that wasn't present then ...

Viktor
--------

February 21, 2013 03:39PM
Nothing stood in the way. It was as finished as I needed it and I released it to the public on Thingiverse originally. I moved it more than a year ago from Thingiverse to Github. Also it did have pictures on thingiverse at the time but they did not survive the move to Github and I have since lost a lot of my old documents.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 21, 2013 04:39PM
According to Kicktraq they are trending towards $14 million, could be biggest KS project to date?

I am intrigued to know what sort of extruder is inside the pen. A compact extruder in X-Y would be pretty useful on a printer. Our current compact extruders seem like they could use more of the Z direction but the design takes up space X-Y instead.
February 21, 2013 04:57PM
The extrusion pressures needed for the pen would be well under what a reprap needs to print at speed. There would also be far less demand for well controlled extrusion rate. These two things probably make the job of designing the extruder easier.
February 21, 2013 06:32PM
its a interesting device, though i would have thought 1.75 mm fimiment would be a better choice for a device like that. i want to get one, but i am trying to avoid the mess that is my pebble.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
February 22, 2013 06:10AM
I know the responses from 3D enthusiasts have been less than, well, enthusiastic but the response from general public has been insane. I know at the end of the days it's just an advanced glue gun but people like it. There's a fairly interesting interview with them here: they seem genuinely stunned.
February 22, 2013 06:29AM
I also ordered one. My wife thinks it would be a great instructional tool for teaching primary school classes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login