Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Patents That Threaten 3-D Printing

Posted by jzatopa 
The Patents That Threaten 3-D Printing
February 20, 2013 08:29PM
Re: The Patents That Threaten 3-D Printing
February 20, 2013 08:49PM
I think the genie is already out of the bottle. With home made printers made from off the shelf products I don't think it could ever be stopped.
February 20, 2013 09:21PM
of little concern

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 10:40PM by Dirty Steve.
February 21, 2013 01:18AM
Everyone keep saying "don't worry"...

*sigh*
VDX
February 21, 2013 02:26AM
... someone interested in 'patenting' alternative/different 3D-printing methodes, so we can avoid this hassles with 3DS, Z-corp and other companies?

I've tested and/or developed some alternative methodes for printing with wires without heated nozzles ... or LOM-fabbing with higher speeds and accuracies than possible with FDM ... or paste-dispensing of high-viscous materials with droplet- or track-diameters of some ten to single microns (basic concept already patented, but could/should be extended for 3D-printing) ...

But won't file the IP's on my own - as it's costly ... and actually don't have the time or mood to do this correct eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 21, 2013 02:54AM
xclusive585: what exactly would you have the opensource world do?

well, it's a capitalist world, and the humans occupying it should have woken up a long time ago , the very first human who grabbed a rock and said "this is mine" should have been laughed at and dissmissed as the village idiot, the trouble those around at the time could have saved humanity is immeasurable today,

in the grand scheme of things these people can take their patents and copyrights and jam them.. you know where, because when all said and done when people re pushed too far the piracy comes out, and as the music and entertainment industry has found out once it starts you cannot stop it, it's a matter of time before we see the same thing

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

February 21, 2013 06:13AM
Under the usual EU patent laws (assuming that any of these patents even exist on this side of the pond) private and experimental use are exempt, so the EU-based RepRap open source projects should not have anything to worry about these patents.
VDX
February 21, 2013 06:22AM
... but this is different, if you're planning for a start-up or your 'private products' starts to grow to series and/or generate income confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

February 21, 2013 09:35AM
Using the violence of the state to enforce a physical property ownership concept between apes is one thing, but using the violence of the state to prevent an ape from physically implementing its own ideas is another.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 10:39AM by billyzelsnack.
VDX
February 21, 2013 10:07AM
... I think the idea around IP's goes wrong -- started first as information base for other inventors to avoid 'reinventing the wheel' a second or more time, it's used now mostly to control/prohibit competition eye rolling smiley

I've made my IP's mostly to 'hold my back free', so others can't grab my idea and file own IP's around it and maybe sue me on this matter ... had' two 'close-timers', where my claim were only months prior to another group from a microtech-network ... and some cases, where one of my ideas, discussed open with techs in a meeting, only one or two years later was used to develop a new product or methode on this without mentioning the origins confused smiley

Viktor
--------

February 21, 2013 11:26AM

...it's used now mostly to control/prohibit competition eye rolling smiley

Exactly.

It's freaking rediculous too.

I'd love to see the balance of power leave the big corporations (who are now getting too bloated to produce goods affordably) and return to the individuals. But this would take reform, and perhaps an abandonment of the existing patent systems. This of course will be fought to the death by the big invested interests. But as others have mentioned, look how much the entertainment industry has [not] been able to fight copyright theft. Seems to me the Govts have already taken a "so what" attitude about it, maybe the same will happen to patents at least when talking small business and individuals.

How bout lifting patent restrictions from any small business making Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 11:39AM by xclusive585.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login