Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

end stops

Posted by tattooedfish 
end stops
February 22, 2013 12:22AM
dumb question if I may. I have 3 end stops wired up for each axis although I see a place on ramps board for 6 is this XX,YY,ZZ? Do I need all 6?

Also I have my x and z axis working properly I think however my y axis when I press home is coming towards me and my end stop is mounted on the back of my reprap how do I go about making it go the opposite direction?

Also having a hard time figuring out how to define the height of the z axis so it knows where to start laying down the filamint.
Re: end stops
February 22, 2013 01:27AM
The pins are Xmin, Xmax, Ymin,Ymax etc... You only need the Minimum or 0 position switches installed. You can use the others for hardware stops or configure the firmware to use the Max stops and offset back from there.

Just using the min stops is easiest.

Try flipping the Y motor connector.

Have you levelled your print bed yet?

If yes, set the Z endstop so you can slide a piece of paper under the head and just feel it rubbing the head while both the Bed and head are hot. (The metal in the hot end expands and the PCB bed can flex slightly, so they must be at temp to get a true clearence reading.)

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
February 22, 2013 01:34AM
1. You only have 3 endstops because you only need 3 endstops. By large in general most repraps are setup to only pay attention to the endstops during the homing process, after that it keeps track of everything by the number of steps it has sent to the motors. Therefor if your firmware is set properly for the size of your machine, your axis will not be allowed to move beyond their max position (unless you skip steps of course).
The reason there is 6 spots for them is because you have the option to have endstops at min AND max positions, and set the firmware to ALWAYS pay attention to the endstops, this way even if you skip steps and the electronics have no idea what position everything is in, your axis' will still stop should any endstop be triggered.

2. Simply turn your motors wires around, reversing the polarity so your Y homes where it should, with the hotend at the front edge of the table, with the table homing to the back.

3. Move your endstop? There is a firmware setting for fine tuning an offset for Z home, but its much simpler to adjust your endstop, or better yet set it up using a screw as an adjustment to tap the endstop.
February 22, 2013 02:13AM
with using printerface I "thought" I wanted it so if I press the up arrow the bed moves away from me if I press the down arrow the bed comes towards me? If I flip the wire around wont that be incorrect?

I am also having issues with m extruder axis not sure if I got something wrong in settings as I really am novice at using arduino although im trying to learn as fast as can kinda frustrated at this point because my lack of comprehenion.

when I try to click exrude my motor just hums and thats with nothing connected to it. I hooked it up to another working axis and it works fine, pulled the pololu driver out and swapped the one from extruder into another location it works just fine so its not the driver.

I am kind of confused at this point
February 22, 2013 02:31AM
well now my X axis, and extruder along with Y isn't working at all when i started out tonight everything worked. confused smiley
February 22, 2013 02:54AM
Thinking about selling the whole setup for whatevery I can salvage back out of it at this point its beyond me. I feel like somethings a miss and 4 days of working on this 4 hours straight has got me feeling like im working backwards on this
February 22, 2013 03:46AM
tattooedfish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> with using printerface I "thought" I wanted it so
> if I press the up arrow the bed moves away from me
> if I press the down arrow the bed comes towards
> me? If I flip the wire around wont that be
> incorrect?

No, when you press up arrow you want extruder to move in positive direction along y axis = away from you. But since extruder can move only along x axis, not y, bed has to move in opposite direction than extruder would to achieve same effect. So bed moving towards you when you press up button is OK.
February 22, 2013 05:07PM
OK so I have my z axis when I home it goes down until it hits the end stop and it has a paper gap between glass and hot end so z axis is good

My Y axis when I press home moves away from
me and stops.

Now my other 2 issues is the extruder motor isn't working properly I've tried adjusting the

Pots no luck I switched out motors and pololu drivers so its either something in the firmware or the ramps board itself and also my x axis now isn't working right when it was before now I didn't change anything in firmware should I post what I got.in my configuration file to see if.u.guys see something?
February 22, 2013 07:49PM
Yes, give us as much info as you can - don't give up!
February 23, 2013 02:15AM
Well to update you guys I got home tonight and im having even more issues. I don't wanna give up but im starting to run out of cash for this project "literally".

I think my ramps board is fried. I know how to work a soildering iron but i don't even know where to begin or how to test the ramps board for errors.

either that or I borke something in the power supply.

I can get the arduino mega to take data so I know its good still but when I first open up prointerface and try to connect it will not connect if I have power supply on. However if I turn the power supply off it will connect no problem but then prointerface locks up when I try to give any commands.

I have a feeling I fried something being impaitent I am hoping that its just the computer giving me issues but I have that feeling that its something else and im expecting my board or power supply to be the culprit.

I am right now installing software on another computer to see if by chance its just something with the way that computer works because its older
February 23, 2013 03:42AM
or you just have loose wires, bad wiring, shorts, etc.

And how are you running out of money? at what point has anyone advised you to buy anything new?
February 23, 2013 04:07PM
Are you gonna post your config H file?

Whereabouts in the world are you?
February 25, 2013 12:27AM
No one has advised me to purchase anything as of yet. However im saying in the event (worse case) i have fried ramps or pololu drivers I had a limited amount of funds to purchase more items.

I really feel like its the computer im using cause after the last post i made I powered up the controller on a different computer and it worked fine.

I also think another issue I have is that I don't have the proper crimping tools for wiring up molex connectors for my connections so to eleminate a short issue (possibility) I went ahead and ordered some wires with the molex connectors already attached to save myself from that headache. I double checked all the connections on my board and everything looks fine as far as I can tell.

I am in US located in Georgia
February 25, 2013 06:21AM

I also think another issue I have is that I don't have the proper crimping tools

No crimping tools required. Simply solder the wire to the pin. Some do this in addition to sort-of crimping with regular pliers, others cut off the crimping latches before soldering (else the pin won't fit into the housing).

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 25, 2013 09:43PM
Yah if I need any more wires for the future that's what I will do but. or the price it was worth saving myself the headache of ordering more connector pins
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login