Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Commercial H-bot?

Posted by jibberjive 
Commercial H-bot?
February 24, 2013 10:28PM
Hello, I was wondering if there are any commercial (read: non-reprap based, like Stratasys, 3Dsystems etc) high precision CNC machines that are H-bot based (3D printers, laser cutters, routers, etc)?

Also, if anyone knows off the top of their head a quick list of H-bot based repraps, that would be helpful as well. I'm looking into the potential of the design.

Thanks!
Re: Commercial H-bot?
February 25, 2013 10:04AM
[forums.reprap.org]

Polygonhell and I have been working independently on cable-driven h-bot designs, he may be moving back to belts though. I'd suggest giving that thread a read-through so you have some idea of what you're getting into.

AFAIK there is no existing/released RepRap design, or commercial 3D printer, that uses the h-bot drive layout. Given the number of problems I have encountered developing mine, I'm starting to think there are good reasons why nobody does...
February 25, 2013 02:39PM
I'm pretty sure I have seen a swiss system which used an H-bot drive due to speed constraint. Used either for packaging or feeding. Used vision to detect parts orientation and act accordingly. Cant find the reference though, and that the sole example i can think off
VDX
February 25, 2013 03:18PM
... around 1996 I've designed laser-plotters with a comparable cable drive, but two separate wires - see the images attached in this post: [forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 25, 2013 04:37PM
They do pop up now and again. I always find that an image search on google such as "H-Bot robot" is sometimes better than a webpage search.

These two videos also popped out on youtube.

Macron Dynamics

Another one here

H-bot 2

There's also a few images of a T-Bot configuration on the google search which works on a similar principle. Would make a nice X Z axis on a prusa.
February 25, 2013 04:38PM
Phlatboyz made an HBot printer, but as far as I know, didn't release it.
[phlatboyz.blogspot.com]

Judging by this more recent video, they decided to develop a more familiar design.
[youtu.be]
February 25, 2013 04:42PM
By the way is it possible to do a 3 axis H-Bot design with one belt and 3 motors?

My brain isn't big enough to work out the cable configuration if it is even possible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 04:49PM by martinprice2004.
February 25, 2013 04:45PM
@kongorilla

That second video is the QU-BD machine, NOT by those phlat guys. It's also not an h-bot.
February 26, 2013 02:49AM
@Crispy - Woops! I don't know what led me to that second video. Reckless youtube link following, I guess - *hiccup*. I knew it wasn't an HBot - that's what I meant by "more familiar design".
February 26, 2013 11:46AM
What makes the QU-BD not an H-bot? out of curiosity.
February 26, 2013 12:07PM
It's a conventional gantry withe separate X/Y belts and the X stepper moving on the Axis.
An H-Bot is defined by the static motors and distinctive H belt path.
February 26, 2013 12:39PM
So it's not an commercial H-bot, it's only my own current design H-bot not finish but the first mouvement was really good for the futur.

For the moment my choice was to waiting to get all things work together for posting all files on the big internet in an open-source project.

You can check some info there:
[forums.reprap.org]

It's the thread of Polygonhell.
I will post some more info or even new thread depend of the demand :-D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login