Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introducing ParametricParts.com: Productivity for 3D

Posted by dave.cowden 
Introducing ParametricParts.com: Productivity for 3D
February 26, 2013 09:16PM
CONTENT IS KING, ESPECIALLY FOR 3D PRINTING.

We have launched an alpha product we've been working on that aims to make it easier than ever to create 3d models. It allows customizing, previewing, downloading, and printing 3d models with your browser.

We're excited because we think this tool will change the way people approach 3d. We need to stop searching for pre-build models and start making them based on the task at hand.

2d printers showed up at home when Microsoft Office made it easy to create documents. And we think 3d printers needs the same thing. Productivity for 3D.

We have an alpha product up and running-- you can give it a try for free with no signup

[www.parametricparts.com]

Make sure to check out the ModelScript tab-- one key feature is a cool, fluent API for creating objects. The sample is a pillow block with counterbored holes-- outside of definition of user parameters, its implemented in 4 lines of code.

Give it a try-- just go easy on us, its just an alpha!

Let us know what you think!
You can reply here or email us : info@parametricparts.com
Attachments:
open | download - PillowBlock.PNG (58 KB)
Re: Introducing ParametricParts.com: Productivity for 3D
February 26, 2013 10:54PM
Are you sure there is no sign up required? I see no model or parameters just a notice to sign in to change - running Chrome on Mac
February 26, 2013 11:01PM
Hi, thanks for having a look!

I'm using chrome as well, but on PC. Yeah you shouldnt need any signup or anything: this link should take you to a configurable 608 bearing pillow block:

[www.parametricparts.com]

if that still doesnt work you can also go here: [www.parametricparts.com] and see if one of the others works.

I know the site is ugly, i've spent most of my time on the 3d-CAD part.

if those still dont work, let me know, i'll see what we can figure out.

I _know_ this link to the documentation for the language works-- its static content: [www.parametricparts.com]
February 27, 2013 04:19AM
Nice work Dave! Looks like a good start.

I'll look forward to playing with it a bit more when I get home.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
February 27, 2013 08:49AM
Works on Chrome Windows really well, nice job! Works on Waterfox Windows (which does support WebGL according to the google), shading has gone and a bit choppy. Top of screen says doesn't support WebGL, are you checking browser or functionality of browser?
February 27, 2013 10:46AM
I'm using three.js's built-in WebGL detector.js, which i guess doesnt know about Waterfox.

Basically if you dont have WebGL three.js uses a canvas renderer instead of a webgl renderer, so its much slower. What you are seeing is the same as you'd see in IE. Firefox seems to work well ( at least on windows ).

Though i don't have control of what browsers support webGL, honestly my hope is that manipulating the 3D object is tolerable without webGL. My end vision is really about being able to print/download the object, so as long as the screen updates when you configure the object, hopefully in practice that will be sufficient from a productivity viewpoint.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login