Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's the fastest you have printed?

Posted by vulcanrd 
What's the fastest you have printed?
February 26, 2013 11:36PM
What's the fastest you have printed while still maintaining decent quality?

(Is there a standardized model that anyone uses to compare?)

List them in a format like this:

My Printer
Type of 3D printer: Prusa Mendel w/ Linear Bearings
Print Speed: 50mm/s
Layer Height: .2mm
Type of Plastic: ABS

What is the fastest printer out there right now?
Re: What's the fastest you have printed?
February 27, 2013 01:49AM
Same as you.

The problem isn't "print speed" it is "plastic output." Ultimaker can move 350 mm/s (so can prusa makergear2, incidentally). However, you couldn't flow fast enough or accurate enough to make that speed worthwhile.

If you wanted to truly print super "fast" as in 200 mm/s, you would need to make the layer heights 100 microns, and then print at a constant extrusion speed, because the printers can not accurate convey changes in extrusion speed at these speeds. The small Z height is necessary to enhance sticking and prevent other "globbing" issues due to surface tension at high print speed with a pseudoplastic.

Truly, the extruder gets at most 8 watts of power (from 15W or more) efficiency converted to melting plastic. What does this mean for you? Very very slow flow rates. In fact, 15 mm^3/s of plastic (thats 15 MICRO liters) is the limit, i.e 6.5 mm length of 1.75mm diameter filament per second.

An average print may be 40000mm^3 of plastic (40 mL/ ~grams) i.e. 1/25th a 1kg roll of filament. So at max speed (15 mm^3/s), this part (40,000 mm^3) is a 45 minute job, no matter how fast your gantry can move.

So there's the real limit, and why FFF needs a major revolution to pickup the pace and compete with CNC, injection molding, and now DLP 3DP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 01:53AM by Simba.
February 27, 2013 03:02AM
Hello

Type of 3D printer: 3D Printer
Print Speed: 120mm/s (infill) I think I can go faster than that
Layer Height: .25mm
Type of Plastic: PLA

[www.3byazici.com]
[3dprintertr.com]
February 27, 2013 03:23AM
This thread runs the risk of being bloated with inaccurate recordings, acceleration should be given alongside speeds.

I remember when the Ord bot users were first testing their bots on buildlog.net, thinking their machines were going at 1m/s because that's the value they gave slic3r! confused smiley
February 27, 2013 06:52AM
IMHO for anything but square shapes, low feed rates and high accelerations print faster and better than just whacking your feed rate to 200mm/s. I can put my feed rate that high, but the acceleration has to be cripplingly slow to not end up with a messy blob.
February 27, 2013 12:11PM
konwiddak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMHO for anything but square shapes, low feed
> rates and high accelerations print faster and
> better than just whacking your feed rate to
> 200mm/s. I can put my feed rate that high, but the
> acceleration has to be cripplingly slow to not end
> up with a messy blob.

I never realized this. How does acceleration affect print quality, such as to make a blob? I would have though the faster the acceleration, the better, especially considering the delay between extrusion steps and actual extrusion from the nozzle, that you'd want to reach a fixed speed as fast as possible?
February 27, 2013 12:25PM
Faster acceleration helps up to the point where your machine starts to shake enough for it to be noticeable as a wobble around corners or curves. (or you skip steps!)
February 28, 2013 06:20AM
Lower acceleration also helps to lower the effects of oozing, because there's more time to build up and get rid of the pressure in the nozzle.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 28, 2013 01:28PM
Two opposite answers...lol.
ok, so accelerate slower compensates for the lag. Accelerate faster compensates for the lag.

I would run slower if i needed to have lots of stops and starts. I still believe the ideal is to print at a constant extrusion rate without ever lifting the nozzle, retracting, or any of those other types of optimizations. The up! mini was a good example of that kind of implementation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login