Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Computer, what's good and bad?

Posted by leadinglights 
Computer, what's good and bad?
February 28, 2013 07:02AM
Hi,

I have almost finished my second printer, a Rostock, which is sitting looking really cool in black, perspex and stainless steel - but motionless. The problem is that while I have an old computer for it, I can't get Arduino running under Ubuntu. It seems to be something to do with gcc - but is more subtle and may involve the hardware and drivers.

The upshot is that it is now, after two weeks of trying, time to go and spend some coin on a new computer. The main problem is that I have found nothing on whether the newer versions of Windows play nicely with the various software that I will want to run: Arduino, Repetier, Openscad and all of the great panoply of 3D software. Also, do the multi core and 64 bit computers confer any advantage - or should I keep to something basic?

So, Recommendations? computers to avoid?

Mike

p.s. Laptop, not desktop
Re: Computer, what's good and bad?
February 28, 2013 07:56AM
I got a MacBook pro last year. It cost a bit more but I really like it.
February 28, 2013 08:17AM
I have a 4-core 64 bit windows 7 machine. So long as I download everything, including Python, in the 32 bit versions, everything runs fine on my system. I've used Repetier, OpenSCAD, Pronterface,Slic3r, Skeinforge, and OctoPrint. No problems related to the machine or the software background. Now, if I could only say the same for the USER....
February 28, 2013 08:25AM
Win8 x64 here, everything works fine. You need to disable driver signing to install the ftdi driver I think (maybe not any more?) but that's pretty easy. You probably want a decent amount of ram - I'm currently using 10/16gb, and while I am running a lot, openscad+slic3r+chrome are using 1gb each right now, and that's before I start running other things. I'd say 8gb is a reasonable minimum. Multicore won't help you run openscad any faster, or many 3d design programs, but it does at least let the program max out one core while leaving background stuff running at full speed. I don't think there's much advantage to 64 bit, other than the fact any half decent processor supports it, so you may as well. What is the problem you're having with ubuntu btw? It's almost certainly fixable if you don't want to spend money.
February 28, 2013 08:32AM
In star trek you can ask your computer things like that, but you dont enter it into a forum there :p

Have you tried asking what the problem is running arduino(links to those?) At what point does it fail, i suppose when you compile a sketch? Can you run arduino in a terminal and post the output?

Is arduino in the apt-get repo? If you installed it that way, it should get the dependencies. Otherwise, do you have the dependencies? `gcc` and `avr-gcc` may in separate packages. Do something like `aptitude update;aptitude search gcc`(you only need to update to sync the lists of which version is the current), or get and use the synaptic program to look them up.(Forgot whether that showed whether programs were installed, i think so though.)
February 28, 2013 08:55AM
Hi Jasper1984 & others,

Installed many different ways, starting with the Ubuntu standard method and on to others, loading dependancies as necessary. failures on Arduino 1.0.1 are simple compiler problems like:
Extruder.cpp:32:1: error: ‘prog_char’ does not name a type
occured after first installing Arduino and Repetier 0.81 sketch and trying to upload. After updating Ubuntu the errors became more like: gcode.cpp:91:41:error: attempt to use poisoned "SIG_USART_RECV"
which I think is a known gcc bug.
Getting Arduino 1.0.3 and dependancies will work fine and allows me to compile and upload Repetier - until the next time Ubuntu loads any updated files - then it really goes badlike 20 second per key stroke, many keys like CTL ALT T for terminal don't work and switching off and others don't work.
Since it is intended to be a simple installation I have repeatedly erased and reinstalled Ubuntu 12.10 so each time have started clean.

After two weeks of chasing up any scrap on Google, the Arduino forum and the Repetier Forum, I think it is time to cut my losses and go with an new computer.

Mike

p.s. -----Computer, What's the meaning of life, the universe and everything?----
February 28, 2013 10:48AM
Definitely go for a 64bit OS - the 4GB cap on 32bit OS's is quite painful.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
February 28, 2013 10:52AM
leadinglights Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> p.s. -----Computer, What's the meaning of life,
> the universe and everything?----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 10:52AM by PeteD.
February 28, 2013 11:52AM
I've always used the pre-compiled packages of Arduino. There were just a couple dependencies I installed easily using apt-get, and I've never had any issue running any Arduino verson on Linux Mint, which is a Ubuntu based os. (64bit)

(The only issue I did have was certain files lacking within the Arduino software itself, and a quick google, and drag-and-drop of the files into the right folder in the Arduino software solved that.)
February 28, 2013 12:13PM
Hi xclusive585,

Nobody at the moment seems to be having the problems of a few years ago when the forums were full of which version worked on different computers and which libraries were needed. Sadly, my computer is having none of it.

I don't doubt that there is a parameter somewhere that needs to be set to make it all work, but too many hours have been spent looking for it so the old computer will be honorably retired.

Mike

Edit: I just re-read your message, What files??? I have tried many Arduino versions and variants on the libraries, but never came across missing files. If this is a good clue, you have my eternal gratitude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 12:17PM by leadinglights.
February 28, 2013 01:26PM
I believe my issue was Arduino being unable to compile marlin due to missing Sanguino extensions... But this was a problem within Arduino, not an issue running the software itself..

As far as the depends, I don't remember off hand. If you try to launch Arduino from a terminal there should be some output as to whats going on.

And good luck with the Rostock, I'm in the process of building one as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2013 01:28PM by xclusive585.
February 28, 2013 03:05PM
Before going shopping tomorrow I will try something a little different. I have just downloaded Fedora Linux - it is a bit of grasping at straws, but not knowing where the bug lies it may work.

Before trying the Fedora, I will try launching Arduino from a terminal -- with a great deal of trepidation lest it sets me off on another goose chase (which goose was frightened away by the sound of me banging my head on a brick wall.)

Mike
March 01, 2013 01:37PM
Having looked for other answers I discovered that Marlin will do enough for the time being. Hopefully, Arduino 1.0.3 will soon be available along with a set of dependancies that will compile Repetier and not mess up my computer. Meanwhile, the jcrocholl fork of Marlin will compile and upload.

So I won't be needing a new computer yet - shame as I was beginning to look forward to it.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login