Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

simple stepper motor application

Posted by rolfbeethoven 
simple stepper motor application
March 06, 2013 02:23AM
I'm trying to set up a simple stepper motor config with my sons. We would like to do some simple mechanical experiments (pulling weights up a pully etc.) I have a stepper motor working with a driver, however, the shaft is a 5mm round with no flat, key or screw. I only want to pull a two pounds or so in our experiments and I don't have shop equipment at home.

Can someone recommend a site (UK/Europe preferred) where I can get a pulley to attach to the shaft with a grub screw/collet/screw tightened assembly? We'll want to first use string with the pulley and eventually graduate to a toothed belt. I have googled around but most sites seem to require a machining of the shaft and boring of the pulley to ensure a good fit. Are there options out there for the folks with a toolbox instead of a shop?

Thanks for your advice,
Tyler
VDX
Re: simple stepper motor application
March 06, 2013 02:49AM
... you can fix the pulley with acrylate ... removing possible too, with shear force ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 06, 2013 05:03AM
Can someone there print what you need?
March 06, 2013 11:05AM
Does Europe have ebay? If so, you could check there for machined pulleys. I'd expect that at least some of the reprap vendors in Europe also carry machined pulleys. The ones I purchased from ebay here in the US (actually mfg'd in China fwiw) were made for 5mm shafts.

Europe must also have something akin to the USAs' SDP-SI, which supplies a wide variety of gears and other mechanical components, no?
March 06, 2013 02:06PM
March 06, 2013 04:41PM
If you need a flat, you can make one with a file. I put some masking tape over the bearing to protect mine from the filings while I did it.
March 07, 2013 06:04AM
DaveX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you need a flat, you can make one with a file.
> I put some masking tape over the bearing to
> protect mine from the filings while I did it.

+1 You don't need that much of a flat for a grub screw to hold.
March 07, 2013 10:21AM
The reprap community is full of machined pullies for sale. But considering you are just experimenting, a printed pulley should work just as well.

For your experiments someone with a printer could make you a pulley, or you could search ebay for a machined or casted reprap pulley (they all pretty much have set screws). GT2 and T2.5 are the most common you'll find, and most will be for 5mm motor shafts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 10:22AM by xclusive585.
March 08, 2013 02:15PM
You want a flat also because a setscrew will burr the shaft and you want the burr below the OD of the shaft so the pulley will come off easily.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login