Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Infill % for printer parts

Posted by MPower 
Infill % for printer parts
March 07, 2013 04:14PM
I printed a Mendel Pro kit for a friend and he managed to crack some of the Z and X parts. What infill these parts or printer parts in general are supposed to have? I am not sure if he disregarded that it was "plastic" he was tightening or they were weak themselves. I doubt they need to be 100% solid either, cause it would take me weeks to print them.
Re: Infill % for printer parts
March 07, 2013 05:03PM
Brittle parts can be a sing of needing to print at a higher temperature.

As for infill, I wouldn't go below 20% even with hex fill for the larger parts.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
March 07, 2013 05:08PM
It was 0.2, but line infill though. I will give it a try with 0.3 on those cracked parts.
March 07, 2013 06:16PM
Maybe consider using more external layers (top, bottom and perimeter) too, That seems to provide a lot more strength.
March 07, 2013 06:40PM
Oh well.. I thought there was a "standard" or something when printing prusa/mendel parts. I guess I will just throw more infill in those parts.
March 07, 2013 08:34PM
all i have to go by is what i do, this seems to produce parts that i can step on and still keep the proper shape.

2 perimeter or 3 perimeter and 3 to 6 top and bottom layers depending on thickness you want at least 1mm thick on top and bottom and at least 1mm thick on perimeters.
March 07, 2013 08:42PM
Seems a reasonable standard. As long as they can't be pierced easily or snapped by flexing, and won't warp/etc under pressure from belts or other mechanical loading, as some parts are required (the motor mounts, pulley supports, etc.)

lol, I wish I was younger... Sounds like an interesting master's thesis.
March 08, 2013 02:27AM
Some parts need to be sting and should be printed almost solid. Z couplers, pulleys (if using printed ones) and extruder idler and small gear. Other parts can be printed as recommended above.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login