Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I modeled the McWire Base in Google Sketchup.

Posted by SCphotog 
I modeled the McWire Base in Google Sketchup.
December 09, 2008 09:06PM
Just thought some might like this base modeled in sketchup so things can be added and ideas tested before a build. The model is 1:1 scale and follows the diminsions posted in the McWire build page. I will host the file for a few weeks but would for someone to add it to the McWire SourceForge file.

Screen capture of the model.
[cjganttphotography.com]

.rar file containing the sketchup file (just right click and save as) Does require winrar or a similar .rar extractor to unzip.
[cjganttphotography.com]
Re: I modeled the McWire Base in Google Sketchup.
December 10, 2008 01:31PM
Are you gonna do the rest of the assembly? That would be pretty sweet. I don't know how useful it would be though...not that you shouldn't do it. I like cool things of dubious value!

Demented
December 10, 2008 04:21PM
I may work on it slowly as I build my mcwire. Sketchup is kinda confusing to make some parts with. Take for instance the 4" pipe flange in the model I posted. I got 3 out of the 4 mounting holes to show as holes but the 4th would not let me delete the "surface" for that particular hole. I use to have Alibre Design when I was in college but as I graduated I had the hard drive the install was on fail on me. That left me with no academic license to reinstall it with. Alibre is so simple to model in 3D on.
December 11, 2008 11:39PM
Incidentally, Alibre has a personal edition that is free, as long as you only make simple assemblies of less than 60 parts. I just installed it myself; I was going to use CoCreate, but their license server won't work with my ISP. It seems to work OK for RepRap stuff, except that it won't import STL files. Maybe I can get another format from eD - he posted the cartesian bot files in STEP format, but not the extruder files.

Wade
December 11, 2008 11:51PM
IF you find the files in a format that will work with Alibre please let me know. I forgot about Alibre's hobby license. I am heading that way now to download it.
December 12, 2008 06:49PM
Hm, I finally got CoCreate up and running (by logging into a completely different network, via Jet Fuel Coffee!), and it won't import STL files either. It's interesting, there seem to be two camps of 3d design software, STL compatible ones, and not. All the ones I want to use are not STL compatible. Interesting.

What I've found so far is:
STL Import - AOI, Blender, Meshlab, RepRap Host, Skeinforge

STL Export, but not import - CoCreate PE, Alibre, Sketchup (free version)

Still trying to figure out BRLCad, it might work. Can't tell yet.

I still have not found a way that works to import STL's into Sketchup, but I can now produce them using CADspan's free tools; I think I'll try printing something from Sketchup. So far I've been using Blender for simple scaling, rotating and positioning, but I can't seem to do any useful modeling in it; probably because I come from a CAD background, as opposed to a 3d modeling background. Just found a Blender tutorial though, that might be the way to go...

I'm going to re-post this into the Cad forum.

Wade
December 12, 2008 07:49PM
Wade in Alibre go to Tools> Options> File Types then choose STL. It would seem from that option that Alibre is capable of outputting to STL.
December 12, 2008 08:36PM
Yeah, outputting works, but I've been trying to import the Darwin stl files, which doesn't work. At least not with the Darwin files. I just want to make some simple modifications, but it looks like I need to either redesign from scratch, or get step files from someone.

Blender and AoI will import Stl, I edit all the stls in Blender before I print them. Blender is difficult to do parametric stlye modeling in though, but I'm learning.
December 12, 2008 08:48PM
It looks like this is Alibre .stl importer has a free trial. [www.sycode.com]
December 12, 2008 09:11PM
I just downloaded it and you get 10 free .stl imports before you have to either delete the program or buy it. between the 2 of us we should be able to cover the darwin parts. YOu pick 10 you want to convert and I will do the next 10.
December 13, 2008 05:39AM
> I may work on it slowly as I build my mcwire.

I dont know how you are progressing, but maybe you will do the same what I did.

I completely abandonned the 608 bearings idea. I think the side of the U-profile aluminium will quickly wear out. (aluminium wears quickly against steel). And I think also, that ptfe will also quickly wear because there is not much surface on the U-channel aluminium.

So I use steel rod, and ptfe block drilled through.

The surface of the aluminium channel is: 2x2mm x L= 4 mm x L
The surface of the ptfe block: (2xrxPI)/2 x L = 2x6x3.14/2 xL = 18.84mm x L

So I expect longer life from this solution (18.8 vs 4).

I think too, for bootstraping the mcwire is the second best/quickest solution available. The first will be buying a commercial XY table, and attache a Zaxis somehow. A commercial XY table can be as cheap as 80-100$.

However for me - as I could not buy pipes for fixed lengths - mcwire meant a lot of trouble:
* I needed a lathe for making threads to the pipes, and I buyed pipes from hard steel(?) and it was really difficult to machine it even for an experienced turner.
* I also needed to cut threads onto the rods (it will be done for monday, turner said). Again I buyed "spring-steel", and could not cut threads on it using a regular tap and die set.

Oh and I also read on many cnc forums, that threaded rod will quickly wear out (and has considerable backlash), and should be leadscrew or ball screw used instead.
As for leadscrew it costs about 16$/meter in specialized store. I buyed threaded rod for 7$/meter in "bricostore" (like wall-mart).

Oh, and I converted everything to metric units in the design. And choosed the closest available option.
VDX
December 13, 2008 12:26PM
Hi guys,

... look here: - [forums.reprap.org]

Truespace is free, a professional 3D-designing (and physics-simulating) programm and able to import and export STL too.

I'm working mostly importing/editing/exporting STL-files with Ligtwave or sometimes with 3DS-Max (older versions from y2000 or so), but think to dive into Truespace as it's more actual and has some interesting features ...

Viktor
December 13, 2008 03:54PM
Yeah, I tried Caligari Truespace based on that thread. I think what I'm looking for is a solid modeling type application like Alibre, whereas Caligari is more focussed on editing triangle meshes.

STL's are a triangle mesh format, so if I want to edit them, I should use something like Caligari or Blender, not a solid modeler. Thus my confusion. smiling smiley

Wade
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login