How to make a FLAT print bed ?

/Bertil
Re: print bed ?
March 27, 2013 03:01PM
Use a sheet of glass.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 27, 2013 03:13PM
I picked up a $3 mirror from walmart. 8" x 8" Its near all the glass candle holders.

Unless someone knows where else to get a piece of glass to print on. I checked all the glass stores in my town and they are all for auto glass -.-
March 27, 2013 04:01PM
nophead:
I have alredy =

8mm plywood and PCB-heat bed and 3mm glass.
But the plywood is not even, it warp !

How shall I arrange them ?

/Berra
March 27, 2013 08:11PM
Home depot for 10 x 12 and a cheap glass cutter
March 27, 2013 08:15PM
I picked up a box of six mirror tiles (3mm thick) for about five bucks at home desperate. Cutting them is actually pretty easy with a ruler, glass cutter and oil. Having spares is really nice as you can just swap them off if you damage your tape or need to cool it down before you can remove an item.
March 27, 2013 08:19PM
you can use a cutting board. or you can make on eout of some mfd from a hardware store.

if you go for sheets of glass tape the edges first, as they are sharp enough if you ever put your hands or fingers over the edge will cut your fingers.
March 27, 2013 09:02PM
I've hears Lowes will cut glass for free.
March 28, 2013 02:40AM
Berra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nophead:
> I have alredy =
>
> 8mm plywood and PCB-heat bed and 3mm glass.
> But the plywood is not even, it warp !
>
> How shall I arrange them ?
>
> /Berra

Mount the plywood. Then using some standoffs (hex or bolts with lock nuts) mount the pcb above the ply with a gap inbetween. This means you can level the pcb without caring about the warp in the ply, then clamp the glass to the pcb. You can also put insulation between them to stop the ply warping more.

Nophead uses a similar method on the mendel90, although he uses dibond, not ply wood (much lighter, unlikely to warp). 8mm ply will quite heavy.

See about halfway down this post (http://hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/mendel90-axes.html).

I used to sell Dibond FR (fire resistant) for exactly this purpose, but normal dibond will work.
March 28, 2013 05:00AM
...or use aluminium instead of wood
March 28, 2013 05:50PM
Thank you guys ! thumbs up

My thoughts was right!

As soon as the easter holiday is over, I walk over to the sign maker nearby and get a
piece of Dibond. And do as CraigpaRK suggested.

/Berra
March 29, 2013 11:46AM
KDog, thanks for the idea of the mirror tiles. I'm going to head to HD this weekend and pick up a box. I checked at some glass shops and because it's not their normal business and they must buy in minimum of 3x3 foot squares it would cost around $15. $5 for 6 of them is a much better deal.
March 29, 2013 07:10PM
FWIW, most storefront hardware stores (not Lowes/Homedepot...I mean the mom/pop outfits) sell glass in whatever dimension you ask for.
March 30, 2013 10:15PM
Well, Is far as glass goes,
I have a Prusa Mendel thats about 2 years old now, and a I3 Prusa thats about 6 months.
Both of them Im using glass from Hobby Lobby. Just go back to the framing department and ask one of the workers to cut you an 8x8 piece. Its picture frame glass, and its worked for me - was like 7 bucks out the door.
So Im sure any hobby type store that does picture framing will do this as well.
April 01, 2013 07:39AM
use glass sheets...........
April 02, 2013 08:27PM

Nophead uses a similar method on the mendel90, although he uses dibond, not ply wood (much lighter, unlikely to warp). 8mm ply will quite heavy.

I've never been able to find a source of dibond in the USA that sells them in small quantities. Does anyone know of one?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login