Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is happening with the Prusa Nozzle?

Posted by davidgoodenough 
What is happening with the Prusa Nozzle?
March 28, 2013 10:33AM
prusanozzle.org says that these will be available in week 50 2012, and there was discussion in these forums in January this year, but nothing since that I can find.

Does anyone know when they are to be available (or have they been abandoned)? I would like to try one with some Taulman 618 nylon filament.

David
Re: What is happening with the Prusa Nozzle?
March 28, 2013 07:15PM
I'm sure Jo is trying really hard to get high quality nozzles batch manufactured, they need special polishing inside so it all works correctly with just Stainless Steel.

I can't imagine it's going to take much longer. I have also been keen to try one out on various materials.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
March 31, 2013 09:09AM
There are other all-metal hot ends available, though. I understand that the Prusa Nozzle does indeed look very sleek and sexy, but one drawback is that you cannot change nozzle size.
Also, you might not absolutely need an all-metal hot end for the Taulman filament. After seeing Richrap's blog post in which he showed Nylon prints printed at ABS temperatures, I asked him how overall performance was. Turns out that you should be able to achieve good results at 235°C which would be in the working envelope of a standard PEEK hot end. In fact, I will try the 618 with my GRRF hot end when the filament arrives.
May 05, 2013 06:17PM
Are there any other hot ends commercially available that will print polycarbonate?

The Budaschnozzle 1.3 had an upgrade kit, but it's no longer available since they've switched to the 2.0. The 2.0 is only rated at <240C, so it can't do PC.

My (rarely updated) Prusa i3 build log: [3dtheorist.wordpress.com]
May 05, 2013 06:32PM
Any all-metal hot end should do it. I have the E3D and its solid on ABS, haven't tried higher temperature materials yet.
May 05, 2013 10:12PM
be patient.

I've been experimenting with full metal hot ends and find that they plug more often than a ptfe lined one. the glass transition area changes with nozzle temp, and because of this can plug more often if the transition area is too high up and too long. I think stainless has low enough thermal conductivity to keep it down in the nozzle region, and polishing of the inside of nozzle definitely helps. however this may be an issue with certain types of feedstock.

I'm sure Joseph Will be sure the hot end works well.
May 05, 2013 11:46PM
If you look at his flickr stream you will see that he posted a picture of a heap of nozzles and a "batch #0 letter" as of last month.

[www.flickr.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login