Advanced

Filastruder

Posted by akhlut 
Filastruder
April 01, 2013 12:31PM
Thought everyone should know.

Filastruder Kickstarter

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
Re: Filastruder
April 01, 2013 01:35PM
You beat me to it!

$200 seems like a good price, I wonder what the reliability will be like.
April 01, 2013 02:18PM
It looks pretty good. I've been following them for a while now. Pretty dead stupid simple, like the Lyman extruder. At $200 I couldn't pass it up - I've been saving scraps (everything) for a year now...time to start grinding that stuff up and recycling it.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
April 01, 2013 03:36PM
anyone know where i can get instructions on how to build one?
April 01, 2013 03:52PM
bobc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder what the reliability will be like.

Have a look at the solidoodle forum topic which details what the beta testers have experienced. The creator (Tim) has logged over 200 hours.

keithCl Wrote:
> anyone know where i can get instructions on how to
> build one?

It's quite similar to the Lyman: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34653 although seems a bit simpler to assemble.

I've opted for the kit as I just can't see that it is worth trying to source all the parts myself at retail prices for the $200 price tag. And this way I know it should work as well as they experienced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 03:53PM by CraigRK.
April 01, 2013 03:59PM
Thanks CraigRK. That's $250 for me over here in Ireland. Might try to save for the Lyman extruder.
Has anyone tried the Lyman for themselves?
April 01, 2013 04:21PM
keithCl Wrote:
> Thanks CraigRK. That's $250 for me over here in
> Ireland.
Ditto, I'm in the UK, but $50 (i.e. c£30) gets chewed up pretty quickly on eBay/online shipping fees (e.g. Metals4U free shipping only kicks in at £70).

> Might try to save for the Lyman extruder.
As far as I could tell, for a one-off this comes in at a similar price the Filastruder. (no relation to the Filastruder, just an excited backer - my comments are just those of a realist who over time has come to realise that often the cheapest option in the long run is to get all the kit in one place).
> Has anyone tried the Lyman for themselves?
Not me, anyone else on here???
April 01, 2013 04:42PM
How's about a European source for pellets? Haven't found any myself.
April 01, 2013 09:51PM
Tim Elmore/elmoret/greenman100 here, the guy behind the Filastruder:

About masterbatch: It's pretty easy. If the instructions call for say, 50:1 ratio, then take 1tsp of masterbatch, mix with 1 cup pellets:

then stir:

Then, spool it up:

and print:

Here's a finished hopper, Filastruder filament.

Printed at 90mm/sec perimeters, 113mm/sec infill. Pretty fast for a Solidoodle.

Hard to really capture in photos, but the coloring is definitely consistent. Just like the OEM black parts on the Solidoodle.
April 02, 2013 07:28AM
CraigRK Wrote:
> keithCl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks CraigRK. That's $250 for me over here in
> > Ireland.
> Ditto, I'm in the UK, but $50 (i.e. c£30) gets
> chewed up pretty quickly on eBay/online shipping
> fees (e.g. Metals4U free shipping only kicks in at
> £70).
>
> > Might try to save for the Lyman extruder.
> As far as I could tell, for a one-off this comes
> in at a similar price the Filastruder. (no
> relation to the Filastruder, just an excited
> backer - my comments are just those of a realist
> who over time has come to realise that often the
> cheapest option in the long run is to get all the
> kit in one place).
> > Has anyone tried the Lyman for themselves?
> Not me, anyone else on here???

Yes, I've gotten a hold of Lyman. He has no intention of selling any kits himself, but has given permission to Alephobjects to make and sell kits. I contacted Joe Moe, and while Alephobjects has built a few prototypes, they wont be ready to bring a kit to market for a while. No target date was given.

For the foreseeable future, the Filastruder is the only filament making desktop extruder available out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 07:34AM by PeteD.
April 02, 2013 09:06AM
Thanks PeteD.
There's only $300+$75(international shipping) kits left on the kickstarter sad smiley
Wouldn't be able to get that kind of money together for a while so all the kits will probably be gone by then.
Might just start sourcing the parts for a Lyman myself and see how it goes. I can buy the parts as I go along instead of paying $375 up front.
April 02, 2013 01:58PM
They just added another $200 category for kits to be shipped in August. Keep an eye on the Kickstarter. It looks like they will continue to add kit categories until the Kickstarter closes.
April 02, 2013 02:05PM
only 3 left now sad smiley
I'll keep an eye on it. hopefully i'll get the money together before they close the kickstarter.
thanks dude
April 03, 2013 05:33PM
It is neat! Quite an incredible pledge rate also! There seems to be a huge appetite for simple and reliable filament extruder. Producing your own filament from granules at a fraction of the price is certainly attractive. This particular one has taken a good project approach by recruiting beta-testers and showing significant volume of apparently consistently extruded plastic, along with some examples printed using the extruded filament.

They have indicated they will share more technical detail once it's up and running, and I think the community will enjoy a closer look at that detail. I look forward to seeing how these devices will evolve and improve over time.

Also, a filament maker between small groups of printer owners in the one geographic area would be a valuable resource.
April 03, 2013 06:06PM
NumberSix Wrote:

> Also, a filament maker between small groups of
> printer owners in the one geographic area would be
> a valuable resource.

I'd be very interested in doing something like that. We're all part of munster.....
Didn't have a lot of luck finding a pellet supplier for Ireland though. I'll keep looking.

On an unrelated topic I saw your hood set up for printing with ABS on your blog. I really like it. It's inspired me to give it a go. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login