Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with only 1 axis

Posted by Arnold Lane 
Problem with only 1 axis
April 01, 2013 07:24PM
Hi There.

I have a Pursa mendel that has worked well in the past.

Just recently the X axis has stopped working, the motor makes a high pitch noise but does not turn.

I have tried different combos by switching motors, Pololus, and connections, which has isolated the problem (I think) to the Arduino.

Is there any suggestions on how to confirm this?

And if so is there any remedies or is it a case of a new Arduino ?

Thanks for any info.
Re: Problem with only 1 axis
April 01, 2013 09:22PM
I'm just subscribing to this topic for the answers you get. Good luck!
joe
April 01, 2013 10:57PM
That seems strange. I would guess you could map the arduino pin and place a connection thru gnd to a resistor in series to a led to the pin that handles steps and the pin that handles dir and see if the led lights up correctly. It seems the I/O of arduino is working because you here an oscillating pitch when motor is supposed to move.

Are you sure the x steps per mm are set correctly? The high pitch sound may be the motor going too fast. At high rpms steppers loose torque. Also does the x axis move freely when powered off? This may indicate if there is binding.

Do you have an ohm meter to check the a- a+ b- b+ wire resistance. Is it the same for both coils? Did you recently unhook the x axis motor, and are you sure all 4 wires are going to the driver circuit? Can you do a continuity check to the wires to ensure they are not opened?
April 08, 2013 07:33PM
Problem solved.

I did try many different options to be certain that the problem existed in the Arduino.

I fixed the problem by re-uploading the IDE (should have tries this first).

I dont know how the Arduino IDE became corrupted. Does it happen often??
April 08, 2013 07:49PM
it happens sometimes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login