Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 - Marlin - X & Y start jittering during print

Posted by bbriggstkd 
Ramps 1.4 - Marlin - X & Y start jittering during print
April 01, 2013 11:12PM
I'm just setting up this new printer. I have a Ramps 1.4 board with Marlin. The Y and X axis seem to be running fine when I move them through Pronterface. or with a simple G Code file, moving X and Y in a 100mm square at faster and faster rates.

When I start a print it starts our ok but not too far into the first layer, the X and Y axis just start to jitter. It starts moving with small quick movements then just stops. I have to power off the board and disconnect Pronterface. Then when I power everything back on, it works again.

I've tried making my acceleration higher and lower, adjusting power to motors, changing baud rate on firmware.
I tried writing G code by hand to speed up the movements. That worked fine.

I've tried speeding up the print speed.

Here are some of my Marlin settings.
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500,500, 5, 45} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {300,300,20,400}

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 200 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 100 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for r retracts

#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 10.0 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)

I attached a video of what the head is doing.

Any one have any Ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - Print.wmv (542.3 KB)
Re: Ramps 1.4 - Marlin - X & Y start jittering during print
April 02, 2013 06:43AM
Sorry i cant watch the movie here but is there a possibility that the stepper drivers overheat?
When that happens they shut down really short to cool and then restart and continue.
This might cause jittering.
April 02, 2013 07:25AM
your gcode is not being sent fast enough, or is having errors. this may indicate mismatched baud rates, or a baud rate your system may not support properly. try reducing baud rate to 57600. see if your system can keep up, and if the errors reduce.
April 02, 2013 07:56AM
I was wrong, this is not overheating stepper.
Re: Ramps 1.4 - Marlin - X & Y start jittering during print - Resolved
April 03, 2013 12:50PM
Looks like I have this resolved. Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

I kind of feel foolish. I had tried adjusting the pots wheel to adjust the power to the motors even before I posted the question. Since some people responded with stepper/power issues, I took another look. Once I used a magnifying glass to look at the wheel, I noticed it was different than on my other boards. This one has stops for min and max, my other ones just have a dial. Once I did get it adjusted correctly, it started working for me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login