Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Awesome new 3D Printer - J-Rev

Posted by Tesla3D 
Awesome new 3D Printer - J-Rev
April 04, 2013 11:16AM
I was looking through 3D Printers, and I ran across this one

J-Rev Kickstarter

It looks totally awesome, like you can carry it everywhere you go with no hassle, and it prints super fine details!?

Wish I could help them raise the money they need, supposedly they have even more printer designs for the future...

I think their 3D Art idea is cool too

Re: Awesome new 3D Printer - J-Rev
April 04, 2013 11:58AM
This is a really cool setup. I love the telescoping tubes for the corners. I'm hopnig the reselase the files as open source because it looks like all those pieces could be printed. An excellent design.
April 04, 2013 01:50PM
I've been waiting for someone to get around to this concept. I don't know how they implement the concept, but apparently it is possible to make it very rigid. [www.youtube.com]
April 04, 2013 02:22PM
I'm pretty sure this is an April Fool's joke you guys.
April 04, 2013 02:30PM
crispy1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm pretty sure this is an April Fool's joke you
> guys.

I hope it is, what a terrible looking design.
April 04, 2013 02:33PM
Is it just me, or do those printed items look like renders? And the 3D Art looks like vacuum-formed plastic shells. ???

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
April 04, 2013 02:33PM

This is not an April fools, right?

Just for those that are wondering, this is NOT an April fools gag. We were going to launch the J-Rev on April 1st, but ended up not doing so to avoid confusion. The J-Rev is a real printer, produces fantastic results, and actually works.
Last updated: Thursday Apr 4, 11:26am EDT

[www.japica.com]

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 04, 2013 02:38PM
But on the other hand...

You don't see any cables running to the head and running them through the telescoping legs would be very difficult I think.
I guess the jury is still out on this one.

The idea is interesting but I think Ben Heck's portable 3d printer based on the Mendel design is well done.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
April 04, 2013 02:48PM
This kind of stuff will ultimately bring down Kickstarter I think.

Gary H. Lucas
April 04, 2013 08:25PM
Kickstarter just seems like its turning into a place that has no respectable items. Ya got me. I guess this would be japicas first design of their own instead of just adding a bunch of bearings to other repraps.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
April 04, 2013 09:11PM
Judging by the wobbly wobbly stop motion Z extension, I doubt this is a currently functional design.
April 04, 2013 11:59PM
Have you guys watched the video? It is something about the intense music, suits, and talking like steve jobs that just cracks me up.
April 05, 2013 12:15AM
Just watched the video, one question, why is everybody in the video starring way off to the side. Don't they know you should look into the camera. Oh well.
April 05, 2013 01:29AM
I used to do some film work in college. They are looking to the side because they are reading que cards, so the know what to say. Lol. Pathetic.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
April 05, 2013 01:41AM
Anytime a company thinks it's OK to photo-shop in a fake build, I'd say buyer best beware...

That "Eiffel Tower" build looked very familiar and a quick google search found the exact tower image on multiple links (It was actually printed on a Form1). For example: [www.3ders.org]

I doubt they asked anyone's permission to use that Eiffel Tower print image. And to pass it off as something their machine produced is less than honest.

MikeJ
Attachments:
open | download - Photoshopped.jpg (92.7 KB)
April 05, 2013 01:45AM
There prolly faking this so they can get lots of people funding it and then close up shop and move yo Mexico. Its a scam all the way. Kickstarter needs to start verifying the companies that are posting stuff because ultimately kickstarter and we the people lose out. Getting screwed one fake reprap at a time.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
April 05, 2013 02:35AM
eye popping smiley sad smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
April 05, 2013 02:50AM
Hi Guys,
This is Ben, the owner of Japica. I have read through some of you posts and find it shameful that you need to spend your time insulting Me and my team. I would like to clear some things up. We are not video professionals, and the only camera we have is the camera off my smartphone. Our video is complete shit, I already know that. We tried making a professional video, but ended up making crap, but at least we tried. The only thing we are good at is making Reprap 3D printers. I understand that Repraps are not the "prettiest" 3D Printers out there and are not the BEST out there, but they are the best for low cost users, and they are the best for those that don't have millions of dollars and live on some beach being pampered all day. If you don't like them, then I see no point in wasting your time complaining about it.

Now, if any of you would actually spend time reading (I know, you probably can't), you would have found that we have stated that we currently are having troubles with the computer that is housing all of our videos and pictures, and I am pretty sure there is no way to get the footage we have spent the past months capturing. Unfortunately the only crap we were able to salvage before we screwed up the computer was half ass quality photos, videos and a few person files. I lost everything of mine, but we still wanted to introduce the J-Rev. That's why we put up the videos and photos that are on the Kickstarter right now, most of it is rendered to show what it is capable of. Just an FYI, the Eiffel tower is not from this Form1, it doesn't even look like it, if you would put on some glasses. Its actually a rendering, way to go idiots. Sure we could have launched this project later, but we are literally one month away from closing up shop because we spent thousands of dollar on this printer, and decided to not sell our other Repraps until we launched this one (Starting January), leaving us broke. Yea, it was a stupid decision, but we wanted to ensure we had everything perfectly, until downgrading from the windows 8 crap to windows 7 killed our files and fucked the whole project. We were going to reshoot footage next week when we can borrow a real camera, but hell, it don't seem worth it anymore. I would hate to have my cousins raised up in this kind of world, where jackasses insult people for trying to accomplish something in life. It just pisses me off to see how rude people can be when they are hiding behind their computers. Come to Fort Collins and say this crap to my face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 09:39PM by Japica3D.
April 05, 2013 03:38AM
there seems to be an old tribe knowledge here, don't buy from someone that has not been around at least 6 months. there are a lot of issues that being a member of this community shows you, and there is a lot of business around fixing these issues.

I'd hate to say this, but your not really addressing any real issues here with your product. the issues are is it stable, will the company be around to back its product, do others know how to work on this product, and is there enough information about it out there and in this forum, that if someone were to take a risk buying it would they be able to fix it themselves.

cosmetics aside, the technology is far from perfect, so you would need people around that could support it effortlessly.

I really wish you luck, but listen and learn something here. you are alienating your future tech support in this forum, and your customer base. don't insult us.

Ask us what we think and what we want, and listen. And then maybe in 6-12 months you will have a successful kickstarter campaign.

Don't count on the current campaign to fund your business. I would advise you cancel your campaign and put your efforts elsewhere currently. sorry.
April 05, 2013 04:47AM
you don't need a big camera or stuff like that to convince buyers.
take a cell phone, film that eiffeltower being printed and post that video.
thats all you need for info on your kickstarter page.
you would sell a lot of them.

i know my printer would not be able to pull it of, and for sure not at 20 micron layer height.
there are some reprappers on here that might, and you will probably need there help to make your printer better.
April 05, 2013 04:59AM
@Japica3D: WOW, so a tone for your first post in a location where ALL OF YOUR POTENTIAL customers reside!

eye rolling smiley

NOT A SMART MOVE!!

Your photos / videos are on the hard disk.
Remove it and stick in a different computer.

If you can't manage to post some real photos / videos then you aren't going to meet your Kickstarter goals and WILL NOT BE FUNDED!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
mrc
April 05, 2013 07:12AM
you should be ashamed taking your cousin into this business,
nobody was talking about them, just about you and your business.
You failed by making a Video of your Project but you want to sell it?
and to be honest, i can´t believe your machine makes 20 Microns,
and i can´t believe that it prints 20 Microns on 300mm/sec. The only way to proof it
is when you make a Video (now matter how crappy it is).

ps: on Kickstarter you say your Renderengine has Problems,
here you say its the hdd...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 08:08AM by mrc.
April 05, 2013 07:48AM
Ten Rules for Maker Businesses

Pay special attention to rule # 5, 6, 7 & 9!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
April 05, 2013 08:20AM
@ Japica3d,

welcome to the reprap forums!

It's really unfortunate that you decided to swing by AFTER you launched your kickstarter. If you had done so before many here wouldn't be so skeptical/cynical of what you're trying to do. In fact you may have gained some allies here.

And you really shouldn't take things personally, it's bad for business. That rant you posted only has downside potential. Now it's searchable on the web for your potential customers to find. Personally I'd remove or modify it immediately.

There is still time to rectify your issues, just make sure you correct them ASAP.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
April 05, 2013 09:44AM
Ben, I am not one to automatically think there is a scam behind every Kickstarter project, and I also try to give leeway to small business/start ups who may be good engineers but without presentation/marketing experience.

This one is just looking all wrong though. It looks like an attempt at a money grab without the technical or business backing. I may be wrong on that, but that is the impression I get. You can't claim to be "professional" while at the same time mis-spelling the words "quiet" and "appearance", even if it is just a question of poor proofreading.

The internet can look like a harsh place, but that is due to the fact you get direct exposure to the public, and are not in a cosseted world of friends, relatives, agents etc who might say they "love the product", but are not the ones who are buying it. Even if people say your product looks "crap", understand why they are saying that, rather than immediately write them off as "haters". You are running a focus group in the full glare of the public, so you have to be careful how you respond to that.

$6000 for this printer, an unproven design, is excessive. Hoping to get $5M funding looks like vast over-confidence, or desperation. Your cousins do look very cute, but that is not relevant.

As akhlut says, the issues are fixable with the right attitude, but it might be a good idea to take a step back and come back when you are ready. I am not going to hope your campaign fails, but I think it may not be in the best interests of you or your customers if it reaches the goal. We have seen several times before how well-meaning builders overreach and end up with a lot of unhappy customers and a reputation in tatters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 09:47AM by bobc.
April 05, 2013 09:56AM
You only need to Pledge $1,850 (for 3 more people), which is not cheap but not too bad either; otherwise $2,000 for the 12" x 8". The $6,000 was for the 16" x 16" plus a bunch of other extras. Now THAT is a LOT OF MONEY!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
April 05, 2013 10:01AM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “Ten Rules for Maker Businesses”
>
> Pay special attention to rule # 5, 6, 7 & 9!

Those really are great rules. I would add Rule 11 : Get independent feedback and use it wisely.

You need to find out what potential customers honestly think about your product/presentation before launching it. Typically in marketing this is done with focus groups. Unfortunately people close to you will tell you what you want to hear, rather than what you need to hear, so ideally get an unconnected third party to run it.
April 05, 2013 10:14AM
Hi Again,
Thanks for the advice and for leaving out the insults. I usually don't take anything personally, its just been a bad week and the only reason I run Japica is because I want to be able to support my little cousins and give them a future to look forward too.

I will post some videos next week for everyone, it looks like I am going to have to take some new ones.. I am going out of town to see family this weekend, but should be back soon enough. My computer starter out having issues with windows 8 and the rendering stuff with after effects, so I downgraded to windows 7, still had the rendering issues. I tried installing a bunch of stuff that people online where saying to install, nothing worked, so I reinstalled windows 7, and that's when all the files went bad or something. I would love to take the hard drive out and run it as a slave on another computer... but its a laptop.. one of those ultrabooks.. Not too sure how to open it without damaging it.

Japica has been around for more than a year, longer then most any of the funded kickstarter campaigns that I have seen? The J-Rev is a proven design, works like a charm. The J-rev obviously wouldn't be manufactured like it is right now, but the final J-Rev will definitely produce results like it is currently.

And just for those that keep wondering, The J-Rev does not print 300mm/s at 0.02mm layers. That's just ridiculous. Maybe 100mm/s at most. The J-Rev can only achieve 300 at low quality layers, like 0.2. Its just like any other reprap, you still have to slow down when you do smaller layers.

It can do 20microns, and I will be glad to show it in the videos I take next week.

@Bobc - We have been around for more than a year, building, designing and selling repraps. We just haven't done a kickstarter or advertising or anything like that. I will say, I have the worst spelling (My dyslexia doesn't help), but I proofread the kicktarter page like 20 times, and tried to get a few others to help. Yes, I assumed most everyone would love the J-Rev because it literally takes up less space, is very portable, and can print the best quality... It doesn't look like a Form1 (I like the printer), but it is a lot cheaper to buy and run for a whole year, and produces the same quality parts. (Also has a bigger build area... a lot bigger) If we had reached 3 Million in funding, then we could have got Aluminum casing, making the J-Rev look better... and I clearly stated on the kickstarter that we knew 5 million was out of the question. I only posted most all of the stretch goals so that people would know that the J-Rev is very upgradeable after the kickstarter. We went and calculated out how much would need to be raised in order to get what pricing, and then at what pricing would we be able to offer free upgrades. Yes, 5 million is a lot, but is the only plausible amount to get over $1000 in free upgrades?! Any with all the upgrades... there would be no better machine to look at and use. lol

Just to clarify. The $6000 is for any size printer, up to the 24" x 24". For the past year @ japica, we have been selling custom 3D printers. So for the $6000, you get to tell us what custom size you want (Its recommended to choose 24" x 24") but you can even choose 18.5" x 19.75", making it customized just for you. And you get some free 3D Art, whatever size you want too..

One last thing before I head out of town (My girlfriend is yelling at me to get up and go..) The 3D Wall art is real, not plastic formed or whatever you think it is. We 3D print the wall art, and then hand paint the wall art. I think the photo I posted was a photo of the Wall Art covered in sharpie (It was the first wall art I ever have done last year).. The sharpie makes it look funny, but like I was saying, those were the only photos I had to use... I will get that changed when I get back too.

Anyways, got to go before I get yelled at again

GREAT Rules by the way
April 05, 2013 10:51AM
You speak plenty of 3D printing rhetoric, you've said you'll post printing videos since the Kickstart but then keep making excuses, and blaming Windows for your lack of photos and video......I'm VERY sure you can shoot a video with an iPhone and have it posted to Youtube in a matter of minutes.... please stop bringing your family into this subject, this is about your product and lack of documentation.
April 05, 2013 12:45PM
this is just bad business. Bringing your family into it and yelling at your customer base no matter what your excuse is. I cant believe the way youve acted as an owner of a company. That post alone just ensured a fail in your kickstarter campaign. I cant speak for everyone but I live in the U.S. and we have this thing called freedom of speach. Burning your potential clients and future techs is a horrible stratage. I think you should hire a public relations person and have them do this kind of stuff for you because you are deffinatly not cut out for it.

Check it out here:

@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login