Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update on the E3D All Metal Hotend (Now finally shipping!) smileys with beer [Lots of pictures]

Posted by SanjayM 
Re: Update on the E3D All Metal Hotend (Now finally shipping!) smileys with beer [Lots of pictures]
August 28, 2014 02:48AM
On the 3mm bowden version, the total length, from top to nozzle, is around 65.6, depending on how fine you screw the heat break and the nozzle.
Re: Update on the E3D All Metal Hotend (Now finally shipping!) smileys with beer [Lots of pictures]
August 28, 2014 10:04AM
I'm just going to throw it out there that the jamming on the v6 has actually gotten worse for me on my 1.75mm MatterHacker Pro PLA filament. It was the dirty boy of the v5 and I got the v6 to hopefully leave that problem behind. To no avail. Jams even more.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
August 28, 2014 02:35PM
I've narrowed my v6 issues down to specific filaments-- two of my PLA filaments have a "rough" texture ("Fern Green" from filamentoutlet and a translucent blue from g-bargain (no, really!)), and I have many, many issues with them.

The rest of my filaments, PLA, ABS, 618, and T-Glase, all have a reasonably smooth texture, and I have no problems with them.

Otherwise, the E3D has been pretty reliable for me.
October 17, 2014 02:15PM
I am wondering what is the air flow of the 30mm fan that comes with the E3D? I've tried to find the rate but can't see it on the E3D web site. It seems other 30mm fans average around 4CFM. Would this be close?
October 17, 2014 02:25PM
Last time I got a RD3010B12H, which is 4CFM (http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/FILN-China-factory-12-volt-dc_1272306273.html). The photos on E3D website show a different manufacturer and model though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2014 02:26PM by MPower.

http://www.i3d.ro
October 19, 2014 01:29AM
MPower
Last time I got a RD3010B12H, which is 4CFM (http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/FILN-China-factory-12-volt-dc_1272306273.html). The photos on E3D website show a different manufacturer and model though.

Thank you. It seems these 30mm fans all make about 4CFM. I am designing a different fan shroud which aims for cooling the heatbreak to within ~1 to 0.5mm of the heater block in addition to cooling the heatsink fins. It uses a blower fan. I will consider 4CFM as the lowest airflow fan I choose.
January 07, 2015 04:40PM
bobc
Basically, Stratasys have patented heated tubes. (The "thin-wall" qualifier is meaningless, all tubes have thin walls).

It is a totally bogus patent, and I expect it to be ruled invalid in the Afinia case.

Instead of working around bogus patents, we should be getting rid of this stupid patent system.

Absolutely agree. Very few patents actually meet the "novelty" requirements and most are indeed obvious to anyone working in the field.

More than 99% of patents these days are made by companies/corporations and serve more to block technology usage than to support it. It really is hard for me to accept that we are still stuck on this when prior art is highly active in things like spark plugs, heat pipes, heat pumps, Peltier effect devices and so on.

I consider it obvious that we should be using state of the art Peltier effect devices with washer stack orientation and thick film tubular or washer design resistors to make up the difference of what's not currently achievable with a peltier heat differential. A "thermal break" is what a Peltier device achieves.

Ignorance of relavent technologies should not be admissable in these days of pervasive educational scientific media for claiming natural technological progressions as being non obvious.
January 08, 2015 12:33AM
My v6 that just arrived came with a Xinyujie XYJ12B3010H, which is rated 4.45 CFM.
May 02, 2015 12:26PM
It only took 2 years but my v1 hotend finally wore out enough to justify ordering a v6. grinning smiley
I'm wondering if there's a way to put this on my Prusa I3 from Folgertech. I can't tell from the pictures of the V6 how this would work.

I've attached a picture of the whole extruder assembly. 2 screws go through the fan bottom holes, heatsink, and heatbreak, into the motor. The direct drive extruder is sandwiched between the heatsink and motor.

I'm not at the stage yet where I can print parts to do this, and I don't have the expertise (or shop) to do custom stuff.

One idea may be to replace the extruder with something this hotend will fit into. This one is already giving me problems with very little use.

Any ideas?

I dont think it is possible without printing a new mount. I just upgraded my FolgerTech to a Lite6. Initally I printed this which works with the original extruder and was simple to print. Next, I printed this full replacement including a new extruder which works a whole lot better than the original one.
Thanks! I'll try these out as soon as I can. The designs look great. Do you happen to know if they will also fit the regular E3D-V6?
No problem! Yes, they should fit the V6 as well.

I was having trouble with the stock hot end so I printed the less complex one first just so I could install the E3D before printing the full mount/extruder replacement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login