Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r 0.9.9 give me empty layers

Posted by epareja 
Slic3r 0.9.9 give me empty layers
April 11, 2013 12:42AM
Hello,

I've been having this problems since version 0.8.4 and now I'm sure it has to be with the configuration.

Every part I want to slice, at the end of the process doesn't have any extrusion on layer 1, 3, 5 etc. Some times after layer 4 it starts to generate code for all the layers.

I'm stucked with this and I would like to know if anyone has had this problem.

Bye

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Re: Slic3r 0.9.9 give me empty layers
April 11, 2013 01:01AM
can you lower your feedrates. it may be possible that feedstock is slipping and only catches up after a retraction, or slow perimiter. if you can post your slicer configuration that would be helpful.
April 11, 2013 01:05AM
Hello,

I'm not printing it yet. I'm watching the slice results in Repetier-Host and I can see that there is no layers (actually there is a layer but with a little point or line).

If I run the slicing process but without activating the support material I get all the layers without problems but I need the support for most of my pieces.

I'm trying to find where slic3r saves the config.ini to erase it and begin with a new fresh file.

Thank you
Attachments:
open | download - config.ini (3 KB)
April 11, 2013 04:19AM
I relied on Repetier Host to verify Slic3r output and it was a mistake - there were bugs in it's rendering that I thought were caused by Slic3r. Double-check with [gcode.ws].

Andy
April 11, 2013 05:02AM
slicer saves to user documents dir by default

in windows xp it is: %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
in windows7 it is:%USERPROFILE%\documents

just cut and paste into explorer, or go to my documents directory. you will need to also go to tools and enable hidden files as well as system files. then config.ini will show up.

you can also navigate to it from root directory in win7 by finding users folder (hidden by default) the logged in user name, and then documents.
hope this helps!
July 16, 2013 09:33AM
Hello, After many versions of Slic3r I still get empty layers and it's not reptier's rendering problem. I checked the generated gcode in [gcode.ws] and it's the same.

The empty layers are not empty completely. they only have part of support material but nothing for the part at all. It happens also in parts with support material deactivated.

I'm having this issue in almost all the parts I try to slice with slic3r.

Please anyone....
July 16, 2013 02:26PM
These are known good models? I've had that problem with models that have issues, even supposedly good ones straight off of thingiverse. And Sketchup seems almost completely unable to produce a model that Slic3r doesn't complain about. Running them through netfabb repair, sometimes multiple passes, has fixed the ones that I've run across.
July 17, 2013 12:13AM
I've passed several times for repair in netfaab but the same results.

I'm attaching here one simple file I designed in solidworks. When I slice it with Slic3r 0.9.1b I get in layer #14 just the support.
PiezacarritoJeronimo.STL - The file
PiezacarritoJeronimo.gcode - My slic3r Gcode

Someone can check with your slic3r?

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
July 18, 2013 01:12AM
with a layer hieght of 0.3 and feedrate of 60 for infill, that seems pushing it a little. perhaps lower infill feedrate down to 30mm/s and perimiter to 30mm a second for troubleshooting. this feedrate and layer hieght seem quite fast for a 0.4mm nozzle and 3mm feedstock.
July 21, 2013 10:43AM
jamesdanielv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> with a layer hieght of 0.3 and feedrate of 60 for
> infill, that seems pushing it a little. perhaps
> lower infill feedrate down to 30mm/s and perimiter
> to 30mm a second for troubleshooting. this
> feedrate and layer hieght seem quite fast for a
> 0.4mm nozzle and 3mm feedstock.

i think the op is saying the problem appears in gcode.

Is 60 really too fast?
July 21, 2013 11:27AM
well 60 is not too fast, but with the layer height at 0.3mm, and the speed of 60mm second feed rate, the flow rate needed is likely too fast for extruder. the only way of knowing is for the person to try a slower infill speed, or a thinner layer height. look at the gcode. the only difference is the feed rate of the infill. fill_density = 0.24 per comments in gcode. so there should be infill otherwise.

there also is no temp set in gcode, so it would be great to know what temp this printer is running at, and to see an image of what the object looked like printed.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2013 11:55AM by jamesdanielv.
July 21, 2013 12:23PM
epareja Wrote:
> I've passed several times for repair in netfaab
> but the same results.
>
> I'm attaching here one simple file I designed in
> solidworks. When I slice it with Slic3r 0.9.1b I
> get in layer #14 just the support.
> [attachment 16842 PiezacarritoJeronimo.STL] - The
> file
> [attachment 16843 PiezacarritoJeronimo.gcode] - My
> slic3r Gcode
>
> Someone can check with your slic3r?

The gcode looks good.
Are you saying what you print doen't appear the same as the gcode?
Or are you saying that the gcode is not what you were expecting from slic3r?
July 21, 2013 02:13PM
Gibbedy
The gcode looks good.

Obviously you have not listened to epareja:

epareja
When I slice it with Slic3r 0.9.1b I get in layer #14 just the support.

I opened the .gcode file in Pronterface. Here's a screen capture of layer 14 (on my copy of the software the print always starts at layer 2 so the capture shows it as layer 15). It does not looks good to me. There is no perimeter, only the single horizontal support line in the middle.

@ epareja
When loading your STL file into Slic3r 0.9.10b I get the error shown in the attached screen capture. It seems your STL is problematic which may explain why Slic3r can't slice it properly.

I have made a new version of your STL file in FreeCAD. It does not generate an error when opening it in Slic3r, and it creates valid gcode with my settings. Can you check if it slices fine on your end?
Attachments:
open | download - piezacarritoJeronimo_lay14.png (23.4 KB)
open | download - piezacarritoJeronimoSTLerror.png (62.4 KB)
open | download - Pieza carrito Jeronimo_fixed.STL (283.6 KB)
July 21, 2013 02:21PM
Actually my gcode has the same problem. Two layers before the bridging it contains only the support, but the whole zig-zag path rather than a straight line... Puzzling.
July 21, 2013 02:22PM
Hello NormandC, the STL you sent me sliced OK. I don't know what is happening. I designed the part in solidworks and saved it as STL. I passed it trhough netfaab and got no mesh errors.

If I use skeinforge I get no errors.

This is just a small piece but I'm having problems with many STL with slic3r.

Thank you anyway!!!!

Best regards

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
July 21, 2013 02:27PM
If I slice it with support there is the error in layer 14 but if there is no support the part slices OK.

For the others that has pointed about the speed, let me clarify that I haven't printed yet. Although the speed has been tested in other pieces and works great!

This has been happening with slic3r since version 0.8.4

Hope Slic3r team can read this and check.
July 21, 2013 02:31PM
You would be best to contact the Slic3r project directly. Or specifically open an issue on its Github. [github.com]

Don't expect them (or rather him) to monitor Internet forums.

If this is repeatable with more than one file, link the files.
July 21, 2013 03:31PM
NormandC Wrote:
>
Gibbedy
> The gcode looks good.
>
>
> Obviously you have not listened to epareja:

true,
July 21, 2013 03:34PM
i already put the case in github. Hope they can reproduce the problem there.

Thank you NormandC

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
July 21, 2013 03:48PM
epareja
If I slice it with support there is the error in layer 14 but if there is no support the part slices OK.

For such a small part, you will be better off with no support, as it would be a pain to clean up. Bridging should be fine. For bigger bridging though, it may be problematic...

Maybe you could try another slicing program. Some people say good things about KISSlicer, there's also Cura.
July 21, 2013 03:52PM
Hi NormandC,

I just used this part as an example for the community see the slic3r problem and due to it's small size.

I printed a long time ago using skeinforge and it printed very well.

I have bigger parts from clients that has this issue but I cannot post them because the confidentiality.

What I need the most is the support quality to generate very accurate parts for real life.

I will try kisslicer.

Thank you !
July 21, 2013 05:58PM
NormandC Wrote:
> You would be best to contact the Slic3r project
> directly. Or specifically open an issue on its
> Github. [github.com]

Or maybe solidworks. Skeinforge reports problems with that file too.

This should never happen, there is a hole in the triangle mesh, each edge should have two faces.
306 [154] [148, 150]
Something will still be printed, but there is no guarantee that it will be the correct shape.
Once the gcode is saved, you should check over the layer with a z of:
his should never happen, there is a hole in the triangle mesh, each edge should have two faces.
306 [154] [148, 150]
Something will still be printed, but there is no guarantee that it will be the correct shape.
his should never happen, there is a hole in the triangle mesh, each edge should have two faces.
309 [155] [149, 151]
309 [155] [149, 151]
340 [172] [22, 162]

So its likely garbage in garbage out problem. While one slicer may produce more favorable garbage than the other, its still garbage. Putting pressure on slicer authors to implement "crystal ball" algorithms to fix defective files is also ineffective, both in sense that other features could be implemented instead, and computing power too.
July 21, 2013 06:08PM
Thank you but I've sliced it with skeinforge many times and I don't get any warning or error.
Are you using 0.5 mm layers?
My configuration for skeinforge is 0.3mm layers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2013 06:10PM by epareja.

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
July 21, 2013 06:24PM
That was for 1.0 mm layer height. Here is output for 0.3 mm:
This should never happen, there is a hole in the triangle mesh, each edge should have two faces.
306 [154] [148, 150]
306 [154] [148, 150]
306 [154] [148, 150]
306 [154] [148, 150]
306 [154] [148, 150]
306 [154] [148, 150]
309 [155] [149, 151]
309 [155] [149, 151]
309 [155] [149, 151]
309 [155] [149, 151]
309 [155] [149, 151]
309 [155] [149, 151]
309 [155] [149, 151]
309 [155] [149, 151]
340 [172] [22, 162]
340 [172] [22, 162]
340 [172] [22, 162]

Those messages are being printed to stdout (terminal), there is no warning about it in GUI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2013 06:25PM by miso.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login