Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Air 2 upside down Z-axis

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Air 2 upside down Z-axis
April 14, 2013 10:54AM
Hi guys, I am wondering is there have been others that have moved their Z-axis from the top to the bottom of the machine.

I expect this to make the machine more stable, and the Z-threaded rods possibly more stable height wise.

Have done a few searches on the subject, but couldn't find much about it. I thought, maybe someone might have seen something like this around somewhere?

- Marinus
Re: Air 2 upside down Z-axis
April 15, 2013 05:12PM
This is not exactly what you're after, but I've been working on a version of the Air 2 that increases the printable z height to 150mm by flipping the z motors and extending the acrylic frame. It should be able to use all the same rods as an Air 2 or Prusa i2.

I hope to have it up and running soon, but am in the middle of a move so who knows. I had built an Air 2 that looked great and printed great, but I was after more height and a little challenge. This frame seems to deflect less than my Air 2 frame even with the added height.

I'll post the files somewhere, just need to clean them up a bit. If anyone is interested in them sooner, I can email them.

Details>>>Air 150mm Z axis

April 16, 2013 01:40AM
here is a modified version of the Air 2 DXF with holes for the lower z motor mount (shown above). If you have an existing frame, you could attach the z mount to the frame using the 8mm threaded rod and then drill through the printed holes.

dxf and stl >>>>>here

April 16, 2013 07:51PM
Wow Ben, this is awesome work!!!

Thanks a lot for your post, I will also tell 'Veimox' from Thingiverse, since he was also working on a similar solution.

I have a Air 2 XL frame without the grooves in the lower part and as far as I can see your solution should work on my system!
Absolutely don't mind drilling holes, but I do think I have to be careful drilling in acrylic material.

We could exchange email addresses in PM, I'm looking forward to print your parts and try them out on my machine smiling smiley I just so happen to have ordered a bunch of bolts for attaching new enhancements to the Air 2.

Also received a new package with wiring cables so I can make the Air 2 look even more clean. My Sanguino is situated on the right side of the machine. So I see it's a bit different and most people have attached it to the left side.

What kind of X-ends are you using?

You have a beautiful machine smiling smiley
April 17, 2013 02:33PM
Ohmarinus,

I went ahead and posted everything on Thingiverse.

Lowered & Flipped Z Motors: [www.thingiverse.com]

The Frame: [www.thingiverse.com]

I agree and think some finesse will be needed to drill the holes so close to the edge of the acrylic frame. I've had some luck in the past drilling acrylic when there is masking tape on both sides, starting with a small pilot hole.

The x ends are from Airwolf3d, they have more height and a wider bar spacing. I think the same bar spacing as the original RepRapPro Mendel?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 02:35PM by ben*.
April 17, 2013 03:46PM
Hey sorry for asking, I was watching on my mobile phone and hadn't noticed you already posted the STL's in your reply!

Thanks for all this! I am having serious Z-axis problems, I hope moving my steppers from up- to down will help solve the issue a bit.

I will check out those X-ends, for I am kind of done with the printed parts that the vendor has gotten me.
Do you live in Germany? And would I maybe be able to order some parts from you?

I have replaced my Z-couplers but the wobble has only gotten worse on my threaded rods. However, the rods themselves are completely straight.

My Air 2 is an XL version already, like yours, but I think I might have made some assembly errors, for example my Sanguino is on the right side of the machine. I guess it may be better to put it on the left side, since thats a much more 'logical' place for all the electronics to go to. I will completely rebuild the machine the coming week, also got nice new cables now so I can totally do some management on that part.

Gonna try and print the carriages now!
And I'll like them on thingiverse.

ben* Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ohmarinus,
>
>
> I went ahead and posted everything on Thingiverse.
>
>
> Lowered & Flipped Z Motors:
> [www.thingiverse.com]
>
> The Frame: [www.thingiverse.com]
>
>
> I agree and think some finesse will be needed to
> drill the holes so close to the edge of the
> acrylic frame. I've had some luck in the past
> drilling acrylic when there is masking tape on
> both sides, starting with a small pilot hole.
>
>
> The x ends are from Airwolf3d, they have more
> height and a wider bar spacing. I think the same
> bar spacing as the original RepRapPro Mendel?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login