Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it safe to take apart stepper motors?

Posted by sage19175 
Is it safe to take apart stepper motors?
April 15, 2013 09:00PM
Hey every one, Is it safe to take apart stepper motors to grind the flat part? Or will it make them weaker?
Re: Is it safe to take apart stepper motors?
April 15, 2013 09:28PM
I would just place masking tape around the shaft to cover the bearings to keep the debris out when you grind the flat with the shaft lightly clamped in a vise with masking tape on the jaws as to not damage the shaft.. Do it in several passes to keep from building up too much heat. I would also place tape over the back side of the shaft, and over the entry point of the wires.

I have taken motors apart, but the rather strong magnet on the stator wants to attract any little bit of metal shavings.
April 15, 2013 09:40PM
Most manufacturers say not to take them apart, fyi.
April 15, 2013 10:00PM
I've taken mine apart a few times, and not noticed a difference in strength, but I believe it is still bad for them. I'd do what dirty steve suggested, though I prefer to use blu-tack instead to stop the shavings. It's actually easier not to take the motor apart, I just stuff the cracks with blutack, short all the leads together for a bit of friction, and just tap the side of the shaft gently against my belt sander and let it grind away some material.
April 16, 2013 12:06AM
You can grind the flat but not very deep because it can soften the shaft by overheating.
April 16, 2013 05:26AM

it can soften the shaft by overheating

In this case you have to simply grind slower to allow the heat to go away. Grinding wet is also possible.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 16, 2013 10:36AM
I don't think steppers have hardened shafts to start with. They are easy to file.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 16, 2013 11:16AM
I've dremeled in flats without tape or Vaseline gooped at the bearing. The bearings on my steppers are shielded and not sealed, so I probably just got lucky with where the dust went.

i've taken apart steppers, the issue being aligning the parts to keep the rotor from rubbing. Tricky, but not impossible.
Haven't noticed a reduction in power.
April 17, 2013 06:04AM
There was another thread asking this question and the consensus was that it damages the permanent magnet(s). Someone did a test and confirmed a reduction in torque after reassembly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login