Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

max temperature pronterface is able to control/read

Posted by aterhune1984 
max temperature pronterface is able to control/read
April 16, 2013 04:29PM
Hey all, I am going to be starting some mad scientist stuff and need pronterface or some control software to read and control up to 1000C on my reprap... Is the software actually capable of reading and controlling this value? I will worry about how and why but if it is not, I would need to figure out the software too :/

Thanks!
Andy
Re: max temperature pronterface is able to control/read
April 16, 2013 05:00PM
Pronterface won't be a problem. To it, temperature is just a number embedded in the gcode it sends out and the responses from the firmware.
April 16, 2013 05:10PM
cool, need to know these things before I start buying materials
April 16, 2013 05:35PM
Any idea what the marlin firmware is capable of interpereting?
April 16, 2013 05:40PM
Whatever the sensor can report.
April 16, 2013 06:21PM
Doesn't marlin have a failsafe to kill the hotend temp at a certain temp so it doesn't melt the hotend? I thought I heard that somewhere or maybe it was the voices in my head. Anyway, you might have to worry about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 06:23PM by hendo420.
April 16, 2013 06:38PM
Yes, but thats just another setting to change in configuration.h.
April 17, 2013 12:12AM
Probably a more interesting concern is what temperature sensor to use for 1000C, and how to interface it to the controller - hardware and firmware. I don't know of any thermistors that can do this. A thermocouple will probably be required, so be sure your controller can handle it.
April 17, 2013 02:46AM
How can the extruder put room temp material in a nozzle at 1000C?
VDX
April 17, 2013 03:40AM
... we had some talk years ago, heating only the tip with a laser to extrude high-temp melting material -- here you can get hot enough to extrude metal through a glass-nozzle, if it can withstand the heat winking smiley

Temp-measuring under such conditions either optically remote or with ultrasonic ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 17, 2013 11:03AM
exactly the plan.

quartz glass nozzle heated up to around 950C with nichrome wire
thermocouple able to read it
aluminum wire as extrusion material ( 650~ melting point)
obvioulsy have to play around with the temperature but thats the plan for now

--Andy
VDX
April 17, 2013 03:36PM
... I think, most of the ideas around high-temp and laser-heating were from me, as I was then busy with printing/fusing/cutting complex MEMS made from ceramic green sheets, mask-printed with gold-paste, 3D-stacked and sintered (or baked) to solid ceramic structures with embedded tracks, vias and pads made of gold.

Then I soldered and fused thin platinum or wolfram wires to the pads and bond-wires for connecting them to the external DIP's.

My temps were around 300-600degC for glass-bonding, 400-800degC for gold-brazing, 900-1200degC for platinum paste and wire-fusing, until 2000degC for the ceramics and until 3500degC for wolfram ...

Some of this (until 1200degC) was made with ambient heaters and temp-controlling, but most critical tasks were made with local heating by H2O2-torches or lasers.

Can help you with some of the stuff -- e.g. surplus IR-laserdiodes with 975nm wavelength and 9Watts optical power per diode or 'bundling' more of them for higher energies/heat, if needed winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login