Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thingiverse problems

Posted by mondo50m 
Thingiverse problems
April 25, 2013 04:46PM
I have downloaded several of the parts from Thingiverse, and many of them do not slice correctly. Is anyone else having this problem, or is there something that I am not doing correctly? I have even tried Netfabb, (the demo program) to fix the parts. Some of them fix with no problem and others do not change at all. Any ideas?

Milt
Re: Thingiverse problems
April 25, 2013 05:16PM
If you give an example I would be happy to try .
April 25, 2013 09:56PM
Thanks for your help. On thingiverse, search for raspberry pi cases. There is one with the words raspberry pi super............ See if you can get it to slice properly. It will slice, but after it slices,. it looks totally different than the original file. Again,thanks for the help./

Milt
April 26, 2013 12:47AM
I find that the cloud service provided by Netfabb works much better than their desktop version.

[cloud.netfabb.com]
April 26, 2013 10:09AM
Is it this one

[www.thingiverse.com]
April 26, 2013 10:13AM
yes it is.
Milt
April 26, 2013 01:22PM
I will try it as soon as I get home.
April 26, 2013 11:54PM
I had no issues. I downloaded and sliced. Just for kicks I am printing it.

Attached is a picture of the output of the g-code.

Ill add a pic of the case if it works.
Attachments:
open | download - pie-case.JPG (124.7 KB)
April 27, 2013 08:28AM
What are you using to slice the case? I am trying to use Slic3r with Repetier host. There are many of the parts on Thingiverse that will not slice correctly with the above combo. If using Slic3r, what version? I am using 9.9. Something must b terribly wrong somewhere for it not to be working correctly for me. If I use Pronterface with Slic3r, everything slices just fine. But that is using version 7.7. Can not figure this one out. Sent the part to Netfabb cloud and it printed better, but left out the infill in alot of the smaller parts.

Milt
April 27, 2013 09:11AM
I am using simplify 3d Ver 1.1.1.

Download sliced and printed in about 90 minutes.

There was one area will it tried to fill funny but it didn't cause a problem when printing.
April 27, 2013 06:22PM
Hello,

I sliced "Raspbery_Pi_case_modded_top_and_Base_set_RichRap_005_TEST_PRINT2_RTP.stl" with Slic3r 0.9.8 without errors. I checked the gcode in the 2D preview of Pronterface, and all seems OK.

I'm cautious of parts modeled in Sketchup, because it's tricky to model "watertight" parts with it. (Although in this specific case, I inspected all STL files from thing:25363 and every mesh was good)

Honestly, I don't think Sketchup's ease of use is a sufficient trade-off for its weaknesses. I prefer to model my parts with real CAD software (my personal preference going to the open source kind, more specifically FreeCAD, since I'm on Ubuntu), which produces solids, not meshes.
April 27, 2013 09:32PM
Try loading the .stl file into whatever 3D drawing program you use and then save it as another .stl file. This file may then work for you.
April 28, 2013 12:15PM
Thank you all for the replies. I am trying many different prorams to solve this problem. I have even sent an email to Simplify3D to find out if they could come up with a demo program. I can not lay out $125 for a program that may not work as I need. I have also download Free Cad and will give that a try.

Milt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login