Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone know a good read for 3d printer mechanics

Posted by crendon2854 
Anyone know a good read for 3d printer mechanics
April 26, 2013 02:21PM
Hello I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good read for better understanding the mechanics behind the 3d printers. I'd like to understand the gears and motors, the mechanism so that I can modify my own tweaks down the line. Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 02:22PM by crendon2854.
Re: Anyone know a good read for 3d printer mechanics
April 26, 2013 03:38PM
Hi there,
There's a good visual guide for construction purposes here: http://garyhodgson.com/reprap/prusa-mendel-visual-instructions/. It's not a "good read" as such, but depending how you learn about mechanical devices, it may be of value to see how they are constructed.

There's also a great beginners overview of the Prusa Mendel here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3D56IpACME, even if it's a few years old now. The preferred software versions and choice of software may have changed, but it's still an excellent overview.

Most would say that a book on the subject of 3d printing would be out of date before you finished writing it, but there are plenty of good blogs around that are worth reading. There's not a single resource to point to really. Just keep browsing and asking questions.

I'm sure others with chime in with many other readings suggestions for you! :-)

Enjoy!
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
April 26, 2013 04:22PM
Hi,

Not wanting to appear to be self promoting here, but a little while ago I collated several of the big/early blogs around reprap into PDF and EPUB formats: [garyhodgson.com]

In particular I highly recommend Nophead's - HydraRaptor – The story so far - simply because he covers many topics in depth and many of his results are now "standard" reprap design.

If you do find any other resources for mechanics for the layman, then please share them as I'm interested too.

Cheers,
Gary

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
April 29, 2013 01:27AM
Thanks for the links. The PDF file really came in handy. Some trouble shooting tutorials on the most common malfunctions of 3d printers would be sweet. I'm still searching online but only find particular issues not like a list or anything. Thanks again!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login