Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone using Simplify3D Creator

Posted by davew_tx 
Anyone using Simplify3D Creator
April 27, 2013 09:52AM
I can't find any discussions on this integrated slicer/host.

I had a trial version (had to ask for it) but was unable to use it before it expired.

It is expensive, like Mach3 price of $125 or something.

Dave
Re: Anyone using Simplify3D Creator
April 27, 2013 04:16PM
I use it daily. It was well worth the money spent.

Did you have any specific questions about it?

I liked that it was a integrated package.
its slicing speed is scary fast.
The quality of parts is really good and accurate.
The support has been very responsive.
(which is should be since your paying)
April 27, 2013 05:49PM
It looks interesting but there is no demo so it is hard to commit the money. How does it compare to using Repetier Host with Slic3r?

[www.matter-replicator.com]
April 27, 2013 08:28PM
It is nice that it is a single program.

Pros:
FAST slicing typically under 5 seconds.
You can fix models from within the software ( I use models from a old version of solid works used to have to fix them before slicing.)
Orient, Scale, duplicate.
You can even have different parts with different settings printing at the same time.
Basically just works.

CONS:

Only 1 fill pattern.
When printing from USB and working in the software it can slow down the print.

I am not much of a salesman all I can say is it just works.
I have been happy with it.

When a problem does come up they have been really quick about resolving it.
And they have been adding features about every week.
April 28, 2013 08:00AM
It looks like a nice package, i'm especially interested in the Factory files, it seems like a good way to keep track of print settings. Now I don't mind paying for software, but with the $125 price it really needs a trail-version, i'm not going to pay that kind of money without testing it first.
April 28, 2013 08:23AM
They have done limited trials but you have to contact them directly.

I read in a forum that there are 2 types of people in 3d printing
those that like to tinker and mod there equipment and those that
just want to print.

This software would be for the later.
April 29, 2013 06:49PM
Just got a trial of the program today. So far, I like the program. Bad part is, I just purchased and built my MendelMax 1.5+. Now, I will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can purchase it....retired and on a fixed income. But, by what I have seen so far, I am going to take the plunge. The trial is for 2 weeks, so I should be able to make something happen by then.

Milt
May 03, 2013 03:46AM
Please anybody, print Nophead's cal.stl with ABS to check nuts fitting. Currently only Skeinforge passes this test.
M3, M4, M6 nuts are required to fit in slots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2013 03:48AM by karabas.
Attachments:
open | download - cal.stl (76.7 KB)
May 10, 2013 11:00AM
Just saw this and will try it on an M2, using the newest Creator1.1.2.
May 10, 2013 01:37PM
OK, the first full print looks fair for the nut installation. It's hard to see with black ABS.
I used 1.15 as an extrusion multiplier, so the nuts are tight.
The M3 and M4 are pressed in using pliers.
The M6 was pushed using fingers only.

I'm reprinting with 1.0 extrusion multiplier. will report back.

Dave
Attachments:
open | download - cal1.jpg (124 KB)
May 10, 2013 02:57PM
much better, changed the multiplier to 1.0, and the width from .35mm to .40mm.

nuts fit tight, but go in. no plastic yielding.
May 13, 2013 11:09AM
I wrote an email and received a demo of it. It seems to work ok, need to do more testing. Only did one print so far without really setting it up yet.
May 13, 2013 11:46AM
I just printed off a part with the demo software last night. Very consistent to what I get with slic3r.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 15, 2013 08:37AM
davew_tx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> much better, changed the multiplier to 1.0, and
> the width from .35mm to .40mm.
>
> nuts fit tight, but go in. no plastic yielding.

Thank you

I forgot to say
layer thickess 0.4 and width 0.6 (for 0.5mm nozzle) is most suitable for this part
May 15, 2013 11:15AM
I have had really good luck with this program printing parts. I haven't tested the cell phone case I made yet, but I will be doing that later today. I have printed quite a few figures and stuff, they look really good and support is pretty easy to remove so far.
February 15, 2014 04:45PM
This thread is getting a little old. Has anyone new tried Simplify 3D and are happy with it? I've bought Mach 3 and CamBam and I'm very happy with both. However they both have triall versions. The P in PC stands for Personal, and I find that software is very personal, you like it or you don't and that doesn't often change.
February 15, 2014 08:29PM
garyhlucas
This thread is getting a little old. Has anyone new tried Simplify 3D and are happy with it? I've bought Mach 3 and CamBam and I'm very happy with both. However they both have triall versions. The P in PC stands for Personal, and I find that software is very personal, you like it or you don't and that doesn't often change.
Gary I couldn't find much on it I didn't see anywhere that it was compatible with Mach 3 or absolute a or a axis for extruder. Doesn't seem to have much documentation anywhere
February 15, 2014 08:30PM
I've heard nothing but good things about it. And like someone mentioned before, you can contact the company and ask for a trial.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
February 16, 2014 12:12AM
They do NOT provide a Trial version and if you have "heard nothing but good things about it" you have not heard much.
regards - bruce
February 16, 2014 12:36PM
I recently started using it. It's a significant step up from other slicers IMO. It doesn't have any weird behavior, doesn't have any huge show-stopping bugs, and doesn't do dumb stuff when it generates the tool paths. Additionally, the devs are very active in adding new features and improvements that the user base requests. This is worth a lot IMO. It also has some nice features that other slicers don't have, such as manual support placement and the ability to save an entire plate of parts and the settings you use for them. Support generation actually works, too, which is more than I can say for the latest versions of Slic3r and Cura.

The other slicer I like is KISSlicer, but the only dev has fallen off the face of the earth for 4-5 months, and support generation leaves a lot to be desired in certain cases. Since there is no active dev I think KISS is a dead end.
February 16, 2014 01:30PM
I like failure, it makes me learn things instead of never having a hard time and then eventually not being able to solve my own problems. (But I do still ask a lot on the forums I admit haha)

But everyone has a personal reason to choose for whatever they want. I can advice many free alternatives, but if you have the money and if you lack time, it might indeed be a decision to buy this slicer, since a 3D-printer is not bought and created to sit there and do nothing! winking smiley
February 16, 2014 02:35PM
Years ago I developed a computer based product. Lots of people advised me that I needed to give away a few to key players in the industry. I quickly learned that no money equals no commitment and my product actually got bashed by people who didn't care if it worked or not. From then on I took a different approach. Money up front and if you don't like my product I'll take it back and issue a full refund.

For me thats the problem with free stuff, no commitment from either side! Free often isn't free when you spend lots of time trying to get something to work. So I don't have a problem with paying you for your hard work.

I think I am going to give it try. Unlike a lot of you I have a lot invested in the Ifactory. If my wife is right, somewhere north of 20K. Right now what really hurts is that my grandson is showing little interest. The printer function may be my best hope of grabbing his interest.
February 16, 2014 10:51PM
Price seems to have been raised to $140 from $125 last year.
February 18, 2014 08:00AM
NormandC
Price seems to have been raised to $140 from $125 last year.

Yep, still no trial in sight either. I managed to get a trial of an old version, 1.X something but haven't had any time to try it and it probably doesn't work now so I'll see. Pretty much installed it, seen it let me open it and then had to go do something else. I feel they are really hurting themselves by not offering trials...especially of the current version and then they go raise the price another $15 as if $125 wasn't enough to swallow for something with so many variables that you pretty much buy blind.
February 18, 2014 11:44AM
garyhlucas
Years ago I developed a computer based product. Lots of people advised me that I needed to give away a few to key players in the industry. I quickly learned that no money equals no commitment and my product actually got bashed by people who didn't care if it worked or not. From then on I took a different approach. Money up front and if you don't like my product I'll take it back and issue a full refund.
So only people that have paid for a product have a right to "bash"/give critical evaluations?

For software, I'd refuse to pay for a product just to evaluate it. Give me a timelocked software. Or a crippled restrictued feature version. But I'm not going to give someone a free loan of my money that I have to beg to get back if/when the software doesn't suit my needs for whatever reason. The form (and the world in general) is full of stories where developers and merchants seem to fall off the face of the earth for periods of time if not forever, so there's no guarantees that someone would get their money back.

The above is in general and it wasn't aimed specifically at you. If the copies you were avised to give away were for eventual production use, then yes you should be compensated once they were put into production use. But just to review/evaluate/get opionions from key individuals or industry players, I wouldn't expect you to charge them. Especially if you were expecting back some type of a signifiant response that required time on the evaluators part that you weren't also paying them for.
February 18, 2014 12:46PM
I would buy it if they had good documentation I can't even find out if it would work with Mach 3 absolute a for the extruder they have a few little tutorials and that's about it but nothing really as far as setting it up at the even saying definitely what machine you can use it on
April 04, 2015 04:41PM
I bought it a while ago and am still using it.

I really like it for the layout and manual support ability. As for the settings on it - I like most of how it handles things. I like how Slic3r organizes filament separately from the printer settings better though. Simplify needs to do that, but doesn't seem to acknowledge it as a weakness.

I tried using Slic3r 1.2.6 today and it is good and I am thankful that such a program exists.

Overall though, even though I wish Simplify would add a few things that Slic3r does better, I am glad that I bought Simplify. Two of my friends feel the same way.

I once asked them at a MakerFair why they have no free trial version. They said something to the effect of that they did at first, but then 90% of their support time was helping people get their free version working and they need to focus their support on actual customers.

[www.matter-replicator.com]
April 06, 2015 12:50PM
cnc dick,

Have never use it with a CNC machine, but the software includes macros for tool changing and everything you will need to calibrate it.

I have a CTC replicator and 2 home made printers and Simplify3d is the only slicer I would use.
August 08, 2015 10:44AM
Well, the software is decent, but their support is pathetic (in friendly words...). It will take them half a day to send you a download link (you need an account on their website) and you will need to send them many nasty e-mails to wake them up and get you the product you bought.

Now, if you actually need support, there is really none. Emails to their published support e-mail address return with "user unknown" and there is no phone number of course either....

Even if you want to reset your password, the function on the website does not work and ... wait for it.... neither will your product - if you do not have a working internet connection, this POS software is NOT going to get you past the login screen.

Nice functions but the lack of support and idiotic implementation of the requirement to have an internet connection for the product to work makes it completely useless.

I would say, stay away until they get their act together. Right now it feels as if it is a bunch of kids trying to run a company.
August 08, 2015 04:00PM
I purchased Simplify3D August 1 at 10:30 pm. Paid by Paypal and the download link came before my confirmation from Paypal - within 1 minute. I haven't needed support yet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login