Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA bushings vs metal bushings

Posted by GITRDUN 
PLA bushings vs metal bushings
April 28, 2013 12:15PM
I am building my 3rd printer and so far i have had better luck printing my own bearings / bushings vs buying bronze bushings. The problem seems to be partly that every shaft for the X Y axes isnt exactly what its suposed to be, maybe .0005" / .0010" difference and thats the difference between perfect sliding rails and sticking rails. Add into that the machined tolerence of the bushings and its very hit or miss. Also its very difficult to get the metal bushings aligned perfectly, i know there are self aligning bushings that can be used but id rather not spend $20 on bushings if i can help it.

I can print bushings that fit like a glove and have no measurable play in them on the rails, and its easy to adjust the printed bushings just a hair if need be. And using PLA bushings on ground shafts i cant imagine would were them out very fast. I still have one printing thats had printed bushings on it for almost a year.

So what is the advantage for going with bronze bushings or even linear ball bearing? Is it longevity? Cause i just dont see a real benefit in accuracy. And using a ball bearing on a shaft is sure to grind down the shaft over time isnt it? Something has to wear and its either gonna be the bushings or the shafts, hard metal on hard metal with no lubrication sounds like a bad idea to me.
Re: PLA bushings vs metal bushings
April 28, 2013 01:29PM
reduced friction, longer life. are you using precision ground rods, or drill rod? drill rod seems slightly oversized for bushings
Re: PLA bushings vs metal bushings
April 29, 2013 05:47PM
I just assembled a Mendel max 2 with bronze bushings and they are the smoothest axes I've ever felt. They have a break in period where you wiggle them + - 5 degrees to work them in. Did you do that with your bearings?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login