Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for big 3d printers

Posted by davidpaul 
Looking for big 3d printers
April 30, 2013 07:35AM
hi to everyone,
I am looking for 3d printers to print objects in large size. one of my friend suggest me to buy 3dstuffmaker mega prusa. is it worth to buy??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 07:38AM by davidpaul.
Re: Looking for big 3d printers
April 30, 2013 09:18AM
April 30, 2013 09:18AM
April 30, 2013 09:25AM
@rsilvers: Is there some reason you posted this twice? confused smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 01, 2013 09:10PM
I hit Post, then the website did not respond and timed out, so I hit back, and hit Post again. Evidently it received it the first time.

[www.matter-replicator.com]
May 02, 2013 11:13AM
i'm also considering getting a big print area/volume.

if you are printing pla then i believe you can go as big as you want.

printing in abs limits you to an 8 x8 print area due to the available hotbed. there is a guy who adjusted the design of the 8 x 8 hotbed to an 8 x 12. i'm gonna try that but i think i need to pump more amperage from the electronics.
May 02, 2013 12:25PM
I have been thinking, and I want to try and design a BIG nozzle for bigger machines. A friend of mine always prints things in a 200x200mm area, almost completely full and they are very rough sketches. I see him always mess up the first few prints and think he could do better than wait for failed tryouts.

Are there people familiar with 1mm nozzles and thicker filaments? Maybe running 3mm filament through a 1mm nozzle will result in a gear-less extruder.

You can make big prints really quick this way. I wouldn't dare to print anything for more than 5 hours with my 0.4mm nozzle, size really has a big influence on printing time for me.

Btw, nice kickstarter up there, I would like to back the project, but $90 dollars just for delivery outside US is a crazy price for postage. So I skip that one... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 12:36PM by Ohmarinus.
May 02, 2013 12:50PM
I have a 300x300mm heated bed and print ABS only. Not a big deal. smiling smiley
I've printed things that took >24hrs. Not a big deal. smiling smiley

You should look up the kamermaker.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 02, 2013 01:44PM

if you are printing pla then i believe you can go as big as you want.

PLA still has warp forces that must be dealt with. I have had very large PLA prints pull the blue tape off the glass from the warp forces.
May 02, 2013 03:16PM
Are there any examples of large items printed, other than single wall vases, etc? I.e. something structural rather than decorative.

There are a constant stream of people asking for bigger printers but I don't remember seeing anything bigger than about 200mm printed in one piece.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 02, 2013 06:22PM
Hey akhlut, yes, kamermaker is cool.

You know, I live about 15 minutes from Amsterdam, and have had numerous lectures of the people who make the kamermaker (DUS architects). I study architectural design so I should be up- to date on these things winking smiley

Nice mention. this is actually why I was suggesting a bigger nozzle size.

Anyway, besides kamermaker there is also this little gem:
[youtu.be]

It's a video of the 'Endless Chair' by Dirk van der Kooij.

akhlut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a 300x300mm heated bed and print ABS only.
> Not a big deal. smiling smiley
> I've printed things that took >24hrs. Not a big
> deal. smiling smiley
>
> You should look up the kamermaker.
May 02, 2013 08:52PM
I have seen van der Koojs' videos. Really impressive.

The Netherlands has been high on my list of places to visit for a while now - quite a lot going on there. Just need to make a few contacts at some of the hackerspaces to check them out once I decide to jump the pond for a visit. Does the Kamermaker have a festival schedule or a regular display cycle so people can see it in action?

Isn't there supposed to be a 3D-printed house coming around soon? In the shape of a mobius strip if I remember. There is quite a bit of large-scale work going on. D-shape and contour crafting come to mind. Very exciting stuff.

@nophead

As far as the single largest thing I've printed? Probably the confectioners funnel I made for my wife.

photo

photo

Sorry about the dirty hands and rusty hardware - I need to replace it with stainless for the next go-round.

To be honest I might have been able to fit this on a 200x200 heated bed, but it would have been tough. I went to a larger build area so I could plate more things, print then walk away and do other stuff. Plus there was the challenge of building it - I learned a lot along the way. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 11:45PM by akhlut.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
May 02, 2013 10:58PM
f3rDz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> printing in abs limits you to an 8 x8 print area
> due to the available hotbed. there is a guy who
> adjusted the design of the 8 x 8 hotbed to an 8 x
> 12. i'm gonna try that but i think i need to pump
> more amperage from the electronics.

Just use a larger hot bed. Here is a 600x600mm:

[store.qu-bd.com]

[www.matter-replicator.com]
Hi
I bought the mega prusa from them..its a very well built machine. .I I got the 0.4 nozzle with it because I wanted to do fine printing. .. if you are are looking at large prints consider getting this machine with a 0.7 nozzle... if you are worried about speed..I really like this machine and best if all the support they offer with it.. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login