Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has Anyone Used this Vendor?

Posted by jdoohen 
Has Anyone Used this Vendor?
April 30, 2013 04:51PM
Has anyone had any experience with " XS's Ink".
They are an ebay seller than has a Prusa i3 variant (i3x).

They had a kit today for very cheap ($399 for everything but PSU and heated bed), and I'm wondering what I should be expecting:

[www.ebay.com]
Re: Has Anyone Used this Vendor?
April 30, 2013 07:35PM
That black paintjob looks lousy.

I really want to discourge anyone buying this kit.

It may be well put-together but that lousy paintjob ruins it. I wonder if the sides are nice and smoothly covered.
April 30, 2013 09:06PM
Ruins it how?
Aesthetically?

I'm not that concerned about how the printer looks, and I don't see how it could affect print quality (unless the paint is so uneven that it offsets the z rods but that seems very unlikely to me).

Am I missing something?
April 30, 2013 10:01PM
I would worry that their lack of attention to details, like the paint job, may be present in other elements of their build.

Fl0yd
May 01, 2013 03:01AM
to be honest my opinion the whole point of the single frame was to get rid of the threaded rod frame.(ive seen plenty run without and see no movement) so i don't see the point in the z support bar, i know the twelvepro has the support braces which i would go for, but i am building the single plate version, when my motors arrive ill post a pic with just the motors attached showing it stood vertical just by having motors attached
May 01, 2013 03:13AM
also i know that theres a lot of work going into getting the box version rp parts too work with the single plate and noticed that the version u showed has the box version rp parts, also to my knowledge the bed size was 200x200x200 but i could be wrong and they might of made a upgrade, it is good value for money but i don't know the tax system works in the us my build is going to cost £387 and i thinks thats cheap,
May 01, 2013 03:45AM
i like that frame design though. they put all that effort into though kinda sad to see them skip out on the paint, do it well or don't do bother.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
May 01, 2013 05:29AM
The reason why I mention the paint is because I think when a vendor doesn't pay attention to this kind of detail, there are probably more things that are not taken care of into detail.

I say this because I have had the same experience with another vendor who sold me a machine with warped parts, not-straight rods, broken electronics, and worst of all, when sending it to me, he put all the items just together in one box, so parts were actually broken when they arrived because everything was just rolling around in the box during transport.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of buying from someone who also takes care of the details.

And, when I see a bad paintjob like this one, I can only think of what happens when you put it together, probably the paint will fall off at the places where you connect parts with that bolt through the frame.

Then, I'd rather have a bare aluminum frame without paint.

Anyway, the way to color aluminum is by anodizing it.
May 09, 2013 04:21PM
Hi,
Someone asked us to respond to this post,
We are DIY Tech Shop LLC

in regards to the i3x by X S's ink llc there is one painted for 529.00 and this one is unpainted for 499.00.

If you can source it cheaper, awsome!!
As far as paint no paint, google it and you will find many ways to 'colorize' the metal and yes anodizing is one, we also like powder coating.
We supply what our customers demand and if you don't want paint that is cool.

'Z' Supports are optional to attach. they also supply a motherboard holder and an attached fan that you do not need to use if you don't want to.

As far as a couple of other parts of the forum, we have always replaced any 'bad' parts, but we are not crafting everything.

We are a store and carry parts from many companies / vendors.
We buy in bulk and get it to the community at a good price.

There are a lot of people out there that talk, but we test and build printers and we will refund within 14 days if someone has buyers remorse.

I hope this answers your questions in regards to how we view them.

Thanks

- diytechshop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 04:23PM by diytechshop.

Through self sustaining actions comes freedom

DIY Tech Shop
May 10, 2013 03:12AM
Hey, good you guys come here to reply.

I have one more advice, I have been checking out your other kit, this one:
[www.ebay.com]

When I inspect the pictures closely, it's not hard to see that the Prusa is put together crooked? You see the Z-axis don't align well, maybe nice to give the machine that finishing touch before doing the photoshoot smiling smiley Also one of the left stepper motors of the Z-axis looks like it's not aligned, but a bit twisted towards the left when you look at the bottom of the motor? And there is a spelling mistake in the first picture in the bottom, it says 'DIY KIY' instead of kit winking smiley

Good luck with the shop!
May 10, 2013 03:28AM
yeah lets ease up on how picky we all are, before we turn people away from vendors. if you want perfect i can recommend a 5,000-8000 setup. for the price, your still getting a good deal, as long as it does what it states it does.

however that being said, stating that a better paint job would assure better quality is good vender feedback.
May 10, 2013 05:51AM
I think I understand,
The finish on the painted parts are by request and they have a baked on orange peel finish, 2 part paint.
We are sending out 10 in lime green.
We also have sold over 300 kits in the past 6 months and always satisfy our customers problems.

You don't have to buy our printer but we put our money where our mouth is and we are also available to answer our clients questions.

We believe in the self replicating process and we know that using our money to help people be more self reliant is the main goal.
As far as pictures yes they could be better and we will work on that.
As long as people want the printer in color we will supply them painted printers, we are also offering it in a copper alloy with clear acrylic legs and a 9 x 12 inch bed and a 12 x 12 inch bed over the next couple of weeks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login