Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

kisslicer - Gcode "type" question....

Posted by mars bonfire 
kisslicer - Gcode "type" question....
May 01, 2013 10:48AM
Trying to use Kisslicer, free version. Running Marlin firmware. Custom electronics/mechanism, but pretty vanilla.

Question: Kisslicer has three choices for "gcode": "btb", Gen5 Absolute, Gen5 relative. How to choose for my Marlin firmware driven machine. TIA.
Re: kisslicer - Gcode "type" question....
May 01, 2013 10:57AM
Gen5 Absolute
May 01, 2013 01:40PM
How old of Kisslicer are you using. The latest never mentions Gen5 anywhere. Just 5D

Also the type depends on which you have the firmware set as. Tantillus, M90 and a few others use Relative.

If you use Absolute you should add M82 to the start code and if you use Relative you should add M83

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 03, 2013 11:09AM
Sorry...I incorrectly reported the choices as BTB, and Gen5. What I should have said was BTB and *5D* (not Gen5). I think I now understand what is going on. If I understand the story correctly, 5D was an old, now out of date firmware, that did (may have?) been some of the roots of the modern firmware choices including Marlin (is this correct?). More importantly, it sounds like that Marlin defaults to absolute mode and therefore, I should use the 5D absolute g-code flavor. Anyway, enough talking, time for testing....
May 03, 2013 12:05PM
mars bonfire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry...I incorrectly reported the choices as BTB,
> and Gen5. What I should have said was BTB and
> *5D* (not Gen5). I think I now understand what is
> going on. If I understand the story correctly, 5D
> was an old, now out of date firmware, that did
> (may have?) been some of the roots of the modern
> firmware choices including Marlin (is this
> correct?). More importantly, it sounds like that
> Marlin defaults to absolute mode and therefore, I
> should use the 5D absolute g-code flavor. Anyway,
> enough talking, time for testing....

5D reefers to volumetric calibration and is what Marlin is or at least how we set it up. 5D has to do with how we calibrate the extruder based on the volume of plastic being feed in (E steps per mm = feed stock in) and the slicer calculates X Y Z and E is equal volume to two dimensions (height * width of extrusion) times distance being moved.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
May 03, 2013 12:47PM
Sublime,
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe a little more talking (before testing...this weekend)...

The fog of confusion is lifting a little thanks to your explanation of 5D. I think in my research I read that the five "D"s of 5D with X, Y, Z, E and feed rate (??). Didn't make much senses at the time but I can (almost) see why feed rate makes the list; because of the concept of "equal volume" that you mentioned in your post?

Not that I am quite ready to try it, but it would love to know how the bTb gcode flavor code differs in Kisslicer from the 5D flavor.

As in much of this landscape, documentation, let alone documentation that truly explains, is, let us say, sparse....
May 03, 2013 02:17PM
BFB (bits from bytes) was a company that started at the beginning of RepRap with a Darwin derived machine and at the time they also branched Skeinforge which became Axon. At the time it was pre 5D and they used DC extruder motors with an on and off commands with an rpm to turn the extruder at. BFB then continued on using these DC extruder commands while RepRap went 5D which is much more precise. They also try an do a lot of stuff in the firmware that we use the E axis for. Like they have the retractions set in the firmware and you can not change its behaviour much at all. BFB style is now dead because 3D systems has dropped the BFB brand and all the existing machines will end up dying or be converted to 5D because they have no support left and use closed source electronics.

mars bonfire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sublime,
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Maybe a little more talking (before testing...this
> weekend)...
>
> The fog of confusion is lifting a little thanks to
> your explanation of 5D. I think in my research I
> read that the five "D"s of 5D with X, Y, Z, E and
> feed rate (??). Didn't make much senses at the
> time but I can (almost) see why feed rate makes
> the list; because of the concept of "equal
> volume" that you mentioned in your post?
>
> Not that I am quite ready to try it, but it would
> love to know how the bTb gcode flavor code differs
> in Kisslicer from the 5D flavor.
>
> As in much of this landscape, documentation, let
> alone documentation that truly explains, is, let
> us say, sparse....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login