Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's the best software to do simple .stl edits?

Posted by PeteD 
What's the best software to do simple .stl edits?
May 03, 2013 01:11PM
I've got several items I want to print, but are too large for the build volume of my printer. I don't have any experience in 3D CAD drawing, so all of the software suites are unfamiliar to me. What is the best software for doing simple .stl edits, such as splitting them into smaller pieces or putting in my own support structures, and has a good supportive community for answering my questions?

I don't think I can justify the cost of any software package that is much more that $100, which cuts out all of the professional packages I've seen, but I am willing to spend some money on it.

Thanks
Re: What's the best software to do simple .stl edits?
May 03, 2013 04:34PM
Hi Pete,
Are the items you want to print (that are too big for your print bed) currently in .stl format only?

I use Sketchup (free version), it can import .stl, but depending on what you import you may have some clean-up to do before you can start separating parts into printable sized sections. (you'll also need a plug-in for importing/exporting .stl files: https://github.com/SketchUp/sketchup-stl

I also use this "clean up" plug-in for Sketchup. http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22920#p193587 to clean up imported .stl files.

Regards,
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
May 03, 2013 04:41PM
Repetier Host, Slic3r & Kisslicer all allow you to change the size. All are free.

As for other editing, you really should convert to another format first. Netfabb Basic (also free) can convert to many 3D formats that can then be taken into many different 3d programs for editing.

I have never had much luck loading stl files into Sketchup. About 3 out of 5 it won't.
May 03, 2013 04:53PM
Hi Pete,
Can you clarify whether you simply want to scale a large object (.stl) down to fit on your print bed, or whether you want to retain the original scale and split the object up into parts that will fit on your print bed?

The software "tmorris9" mentions above will allow you to scale down a single .stl so it will fit on your print bed, as he suggest.

Tks,
NumberSix
May 05, 2013 08:32PM
One of the items I'm trying to make is the VEND from thingiverse. [www.thingiverse.com]

I only have .stl files available, and shrinking the entire object isn't an option, since the jar wouldn't fit if I did. So, I'd like to keep it in the same scale and print it in pieces. This will (barely) fit on my bed, but is a bit too high. (my printer's height is 110 mm) I was thinking of cutting off the 'face' and printing it separately.
May 05, 2013 10:06PM
Like I said:

"As for other editing, you really should convert to another format first. Netfabb Basic (also free) can convert to many 3D formats that can then be taken into many different 3d programs for editing. "
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login