Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large Printers... building vs. buying

Posted by gringo 
Large Printers... building vs. buying
May 04, 2013 04:29PM
Hello all.

I've been lurking and learning what I can - but I'm now researching what my next printer should be as I've found a need for a larger printer.

I started with a printrbot - and have out grown it's capabilities (mine how is braced and has a heated build chamber - even though I prefer PLA prints) and find myself looking for something larger in terms of print volume. For the record - I'm not printing large parts - but large batches of small to midsize parts where a large build volume would allow me to up the number of objects per print.

I've been curious about the disconnect between print area and pricing for some of the kits. It seems as the print volume scales - the price goes through the roof!

there are several good size printers available on kickstarter and online - but I'm not understanding why the costs are so high.

Here's some:

Glacier Peak - $3,000 - $4,000
[indimension3.com]

Kickstater's Gigabot - $2,500 plus a long lead time
[www.kickstarter.com]

MakeMendel Rapidbot Mega - $1,250
[makemendel.com]

Rigidbot - Kickstarter - $899
[www.kickstarter.com]

MendelMax 2.0 - $1,495
[store.makerstoolworks.com]

I was interested in the Rapidbot - although I'd never heard of it - but concerned when I heard they were in India, so I wondered about shipping. I did futher research - and I became more concerned when I read this: [makemendel.com]

Some of the other designs I've heard of - some I've not... so I'd love your input as this community has folk far smarter than me.

Anyway. I'm not opposed to self sourcing and going it mostly alone, but are there hidden gremlins in attempting to scale things? Is this much harder and more challenging then simply scaling things up in most designs? Why are these things so expensive in the larger format.

Again - I'm not printing huge objects - I'd just rather have the flexibility to print more objects per print

I'd love to hear your thoughts. What larger designs would you suggest. I'd really like to have something big - 16", 24" cube print volume... although honestly I seldom use the Z height....

What design would you recommend if I was to build a larger printer, or who's kit would you buy?

Thanks for your input.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 06:51PM by gringo.
Re: Large Printers... building vs. buying
May 04, 2013 09:31PM
gringo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of the other designs I've heard of - some
> I've not... so I'd love your input as this
> community has folk far smarter than me.

Don't know if I'm smarter, but I'm currently building a Prusa i3 and I'm building over-sized. All the axis on the i3 can be re-sized and I suspect the Mendel90 is in the same boat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2013 09:32PM by SheldonE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login