Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nylon Monofilament line

Posted by Joules 
Nylon Monofilament line
January 18, 2009 04:27PM
Guys,
whilst looking for suitable mono filaments, it occurred to me one of the biggest sources is fishing line, available upto 2mm diameter. My question is, what are the downsides to using nylon rather than ABS.. Has anyone already tried this, line is available in many sizes and in bulk rolls.

Joules
Re: Nylon Monofilament line
January 18, 2009 05:28PM
I've never heard of anybody using nylon. Possibly the melting point is too high. It's listed as 256C at [en.wikipedia.org] and there's also mention of needing to dry it before melting it to prevent reactions with water. I think the temperature alone would prevent it extruding from a standard extruder, since the PTFE degrades around 260C. Sounds like it would be challenging to do. Go for it!

--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
January 18, 2009 10:37PM
I don't have a reprap, but I work with SLS machines which predominantly sinter nylon.

I'd say the biggest problem standing in your way is nylon doesn't go particularly viscous when its melted, you'd have to get it very hot. Our nylon-11/12 sinters at around ~195C, but thats powdered nylon and a strictly controlled inert nitrogen atmosphere (nylon likes to react with oxygen/water (though I don't imagine its that major of a problem with extrusion)).

I say give it a go smiling smiley
January 19, 2009 06:24AM
proto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our nylon-11/12 sinters at around ~195C, but thats
> powdered nylon and a strictly controlled inert
> nitrogen atmosphere (nylon likes to react with
> oxygen/water (though I don't imagine its that
> major of a problem with extrusion)).

I think that will be of a great problem. Since it can react with normal air (air contains O
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login