Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Nozzle Released

Posted by akhlut 
Re: Prusa Nozzle Released
August 06, 2013 10:48PM
ohioplastics , why are you spamming this thread? start your own thread for tuting your own horn please.
Anonymous User
August 06, 2013 11:48PM
I've started my own threads. They all seem to get banned by the moderaters. Maybe it's because I'm so controversial (smiling smiley) Anyways, no one would dare ban Prusa's thread, so it seams like a safe place to talk as any.
August 07, 2013 12:21AM
dunno about that, if this thread gets out of control in the same way that a few others have in the past i don't think the admins would have to many problems with locking/moving or deleting the thread, to be honest the admins have been a little relaxed about advertising and such lately on the general section, they are probably a little busy fending off the torrents of bots that quite a few forums have been subjected to in recent times,

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

August 07, 2013 12:28AM
vegasloki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Discount or not I'll pass this time. It wasn't
> that it didn't work it's that he disappeared after
> the initial reports started coming in.

Thats exactly how I think about it. The worst thing is that people think I see the Prusa brand so its a good product. So he can easily continue selling it. But im glad that there a forums like this one to show whats happening.
August 07, 2013 03:36PM
@ohioplastics,
If you post adverts outside of the "For Sale" forums then they will be deleted.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 07, 2013 08:42PM
I don't know if anyone have seen this picture, but it looks exactly like the E3D to me:
[secure.flickr.com]
You can expect it to be a littler costlier, when I see all these grooves in this aluminum rod...
Anonymous User
August 07, 2013 09:05PM
I'm not really posting spam. If I was, I'd spam my own posts. I'm simply illustrating that there are other people out there selling better hot ends for less than what he's charging.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]0

Edit: John 8:7
Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 09:15PM by ohioplastics.
August 07, 2013 11:00PM
@nophead:

To ohioplastics's point there are at least two other vendors who advertised their hotend in this thread (even if he's saying it in a semi-ridiculous way).

There are also other threads in the general forum that are adverts, for example the E3D hotend released one (and that one goes overboard with the animating GIF smileys with beer in the subject). The first sentence of the post is:

This post blurs the line a little between information and advertisement - I really don't want to spam, but...

These threads are really annoying, abusive to the rules of the forum and should not be allowed in "general". They should go to "for sale" or "new product announcements" or "hotends".
August 07, 2013 11:12PM
I would get rid of all spam posts just for the principle of it. These forums are Google searchable, and to be cluttered with spam garbage is rather embarrassing.

In all fairness I'm finding a lot more bot spam lately and have been reporting as much bot spam as i can find. it is really ramping up. Then to deal with someone that does not know he is spamming? Get real!!

at the very least these people should be contributing something, rather than just linking their product. or asking for feedback. Something that merits discussion.

ohioplastics, I think it is a courtesy that your posts have not been deleted yet....

say something intelligent in your posts, rather that being biased towards your products.

If anything it may be about time to lock this thread. it is hard to search thru anyways and almost 10 pages long.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 11:14PM by jamesdanielv.
August 08, 2013 12:42AM
lajos Wrote:

> These threads are really annoying, abusive to the
> rules of the forum and should not be allowed in
> "general". They should go to "for sale" or "new
> product announcements" or "hotends".

If they are annoying you don't read them. I think Sanjay's thread is a great example of developing an open hardware product and refining it through user feedback. Very few have the tooling to make a hot end and those that sell hot ends do a service to the community particularly when they are involved in sharing information on how the parts work as well as having an open dialog for others to follow. Case in point the latest Prusa hot end which is now pictured with the features and implementation.

In a community where you sell atoms and give away bits the line between spam and information isn't so black and white. To develop ideas one must be free to share that information. In the case of Sanjay, someone that has contributed positively to the community, is going to be viewed in a different manner than someone else that might be abrasive or rude at times. Just as in meatspace, manners matter as does how something is stated, not just what it might be that is stated.
August 08, 2013 07:02AM
woodencase01 Wrote:
> I don't know if anyone have seen this picture, but
> it looks exactly like the E3D to me:
> [secure.flickr.com]
> 7/in/photostream/
> You can expect it to be a littler costlier, when I
> see all these grooves in this aluminum rod...

Looks like the new version of prusanozzle is basically an E3D nozzle with the prusanozzle heat block.
August 08, 2013 08:47AM
@vegasloki:

So then why can't ohioplastics post his advertisements? If you look back up a bit, you can see Sanjay plugging his hot end on this thread also, on top of being allowed to advertise in general. What Sanjay's doing is just as sneaky, but he gets away with it.

It should either be allowed for all to post advertisements in general, or should not be allowed for any.

There are sections of this forum for development and for advertisement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 08:56AM by lajos.
August 08, 2013 09:12AM
This is not a "for sale" thread. I opened it to let everyone know that they had gone on sale. At the time everyone was eagerly awaiting the release of the nozzle. I saw it was available and I posted about it so those who wanted one could get one before they were sold out.. End of story.

Then it became a support thread, where those who bought them could share their experiences/opinions about the nozzle.

Also, to say that Prusa 'dropped off the face of the earth' isn't really fair. He's never really been very active on these forums.

[forums.reprap.org]

28 posts in 3 years, the majority of which are in this thread.

Disclaimer: I don't work for/with Prusa or any other 3D printing firm or service. I have no financial interest in the Prusa nozzle, or any other piece of equipment out there that is for sale.

But here's an idea: Why is there no sub-forum specifically for hot ends? That could eliminate some of the "clutter" in General.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
August 08, 2013 09:39AM
akhlut Wrote:
> But here's an idea: Why is there no sub-forum
> specifically for hot ends? That could eliminate
> some of the "clutter" in General.

The "Plastic Extruder Working Group" subforum should be fit for that, but its name doesn't make it clear for beginners, and it's also far from the top of the page, so people don't use it much for hotends discussions.

Also it's more about R&D than support, so I support your request of a new "hotends" subforum. Where should it be located ?

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
August 08, 2013 10:00AM
So Prusa goes exactly the same way as everyone has done previously to give it enough cooling area, while tweeting about it merrily.

elgambitero Wrote:
> woodencase01 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I don't know if anyone have seen this picture,
> but
> > it looks exactly like the E3D to me:
> >
> [secure.flickr.com]
>
> > 7/in/photostream/
> > You can expect it to be a littler costlier, when
> I
> > see all these grooves in this aluminum rod...
>
>
> Looks like the new version of prusanozzle is
> basically an E3D nozzle with the prusanozzle heat
> block.
August 08, 2013 10:20AM
DV,

Ito be honest, I'm not sure. I was looking at the Plastic Extruder Group, but that seems like such a mishmash. Besides, it's for extruders and not hotends. sad smiley

Come to think about it hotends are a pretty specialized item, one that has been pretty well ignored by the forum structure given how important they are to the machine. I can understand why - there were very few people working on them given their specialized nature. Maybe we should petition for an entire hotends forum with sub-forums for specific things - General Hotend Discussion, Hotend Development, J-Head, QU-BD, E3D, Budaschnozzle, Prusa, Makergear, DIY/Homebrew, etc. It could be a real plus to finally distill some of the hotend issues into one place instead of random threads in other forums.

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
August 08, 2013 11:26AM
akhlut, this is definitely an excellent idea. I was looking for such a group but there is nothing.

I hope the admins can add it as you suggested, the structure is very good. I would even consider a sub-forum «Hotends sales/trading» in this group.
August 08, 2013 02:29PM
The moderators probably find it impossible to please everyone, but I have found this thread and Sanjay's useful and informative. Sanjay was quite upfront about his commercial association and has tried to keep the topic on development. This thread was not started by Jo Prusa so is not relevant.

I think a blanket "all or none" policy is unnecessarily, it only takes some common sense to see who are adding value and who are merely doing promotion, and I think the moderators are quite capable in that regard. They may also recall that Ohioplastics used the forum to launch an attack on Jo Prusa over some perceived slight, and he (Ohioplastics) would probably be quite happy to sabotage any thread related to Prusa's work. He's done a pretty good number on this thread, anyway.

It would be nice to get back to the technical discussion if possible.... even if the conclusion is that the E3D design is superior.
August 08, 2013 03:38PM
bobc Wrote:
> Sanjay was quite upfront about his commercial association

So being upfront allows one to break the rules? If I tell you I'll steal your laptop that will make it ok?

> and has tried to keep the topic on development

That thread is not about development. Let's not kid ourselves. It was an advertisement and then turned into customer/technical support.

> (Ohioplastics) would probably be quite happy to sabotage any thread related to Prusa's work

Sure, the guy can be ridiculous. But if you look back, Sanjay also chimed in on this thread which resulted in some Jo Prusa jabbing. So so far the only difference I see between ohioplastics and SanjayM is style, although if I add the animating GIF in Sanjay's E3D ad, even the style points get equalized.

> I think a blanket "all or none" policy is unnecessarily, it only takes some common sense to see who are adding value and who are merely doing promotion

Not sure if you have kids or not, if you do, you know that an all or nothing policy is absolutely essential. Either both kids are allowed to have ice cream or neither. Otherwise you plant some bad seeds that will poison your family in the long run.

If Sanjay's commercial thread is allowed in general, so should be ohioplastics' (even if he's semi-ridiculous).
August 08, 2013 04:17PM
lajos Wrote:
> Not sure if you have kids or not, if you do, you
> know that an all or nothing policy is absolutely
> essential. Either both kids are allowed to have
> ice cream or neither. Otherwise you plant some bad
> seeds that will poison your family in the long
> run.

Good grief.
August 08, 2013 07:38PM
lajos Wrote:
> Not sure if you have kids or not, if you do, you
> know that an all or nothing policy is absolutely
> essential. Either both kids are allowed to have
> ice cream or neither. Otherwise you plant some bad
> seeds that will poison your family in the long
> run.

I have grand kids, does that count? Comparing this to raising kids is specious. In the adult world things like this aren't black and white.
August 08, 2013 11:10PM
bobc wrote:
> Good grief.

Haha, yeah, talk to me about it. You thought calibrating your printer was hard, try keeping some sub-ten year olds out of trouble.

vegasloki wrote:
> Comparing this to raising kids is specious

No worries I can do grandparents, too.

Tomorrow you call your kid to let your grandkids sleep over this weekend. He/she tells you, that you have already discussed this, they are too young. So tomorrow night you decide to go over to vegashiki grandpa to fume over the situation, armed with some rum, or cigars, or whatever you old folks' body can still handle. You ring the bell, and your granddaughter opens the door, in pjs, ready to go to sleep. You blow the fuse, to which vegashiki grandpa says:

-vegasloki, we are adults. you know " In the adult world things like this aren't black and white."
August 09, 2013 02:54AM
lajos Wrote:
> bobc wrote:
> > Good grief.
>
> Haha, yeah, talk to me about it. You thought
> calibrating your printer was hard, try keeping
> some sub-ten year olds out of trouble.

Sorry, you totally missed the point. Your patronising advice about parenting is irrelevant, and I am really not interested.
August 09, 2013 11:40AM
bobc Wrote:
> lajos Wrote:
> -----
> > bobc wrote:
> > > Good grief.
> >
> > Haha, yeah, talk to me about it. You thought
> > calibrating your printer was hard, try keeping
> > some sub-ten year olds out of trouble.
>
> Sorry, you totally missed the point. Your
> patronising advice about parenting is irrelevant,
> and I am really not interested.

No, you missed the point. I was just pretending that you were not turning this into something it wasn't meant to be.
August 16, 2013 03:14PM
As Josef has released a new version of his Prusa Nozzle this may not be of much use for those buying the new one, but for those with the "older" version and having some trouble of filament being eaten mid-print, the solution to my problems has been to add a fan duct that directed the air to cool all the barrel.

A side effect is that now I can print almost 40C cooler than before without any problem (before I was printing at 285C).

I know that some people have been printing ABS fanless. For me it was not possible with any of the filaments I threw at the nozzle. Just a fan cooling the top half of the nozzle and mounting plate did not cut it either.

So if you have been struggling with the nozzle you can try the fan duct [www.thingiverse.com] (mine is open on the top due to the way I am mounting it on the compact extruder).
August 16, 2013 05:00PM
misan Wrote:
>
> So if you have been struggling with the nozzle you
> can try the fan duct
> [www.thingiverse.com] (mine is
> open on the top due to the way I am mounting it on
> the compact extruder).

Nice job.thumbs up. I had a duct from an i2 build but it didn't get as close to the heater block as yours does.
August 20, 2013 05:14PM
If anyone is interested, here is unboxing video of prusa nozzle mk2
smiling smiley
[sloreprap.eu]
August 21, 2013 04:28PM
Unboxing, meh.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Let's see some prints. I just ordered an Aluhotend from 3D Industries AU. I'm curious to see how it works.
August 21, 2013 09:24PM
vegasloki Wrote:
> Unboxing, meh.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Let's see some prints. I
> just ordered an Aluhotend from 3D Industries AU.
> I'm curious to see how it works.

I just got one to, Im still using the budaschnozzle style hotend.

Did you aluhotend come with a ptfe liner?
I wanted to know if we can use it without the liner so we can crank it upto 280-300c
August 22, 2013 06:32AM
nechaus Wrote:
> vegasloki Wrote:
> -----
> > Unboxing, meh.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Let's see some prints.
> I
> > just ordered an Aluhotend from 3D Industries AU.
>
> > I'm curious to see how it works.
>
>
> I just got one to, Im still using the
> budaschnozzle style hotend.
>
> Did you aluhotend come with a ptfe liner?
> I wanted to know if we can use it without the
> liner so we can crank it upto 280-300c

if you take the liner out you'll have a 4mm bore in the thermal barrier and you won't be able to extruder properly if at all

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login